Dude, lighten up! Anger issues?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andyvh1959, Nov 19, 2020.

1. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    In my state if someone incurs injury or death while committing a felony, they are prohibited by law from recovering damages.

Brandishing a weapon without a self defense justification (as in the OP) is a felony. Ergo, no damages are able to be recovered. Same with people who injure themselves breaking into someone's home. No damages. That ought to be the law everywhere, but it's not.

If minivan people perforated Harley dude, they would not be charged with jack shit, nor would they be sued down here. Their firearm would be temporarily confiscated and returned in a timely manner.
    OV10, vwnate1, Dan Diego and 2 others like this.
  2. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Me too. New Ducatis with multiple ride modes have them switchable by the same button that turns off the turn signal. Test rode a few and spent most of the time thinking I was changing modes :fpalm I guess I'd get used to it but man what a pain in the ass
    GravelRider likes this.
  3. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least an autonomous car is not in "failure" mode all the time whereas many drivers are in that mode constantly.
  4. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lesser of two evils doesn't work for me. Do you prefer stomach cancer or pancreatic cancer?
    An autonomous car that's in failure mode is in it 100% of the time. Smack the shit out of the human enough times and the problem has a chance of being corrected. But then again, I prefer manual transmissions and locking hubs. I trust myself more than the engineer that designed stuff to do what I should be doing myself. Mostly.
    vwnate1, Amphib and AZbiker like this.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Experience and reality is quite to the contrary of your statement. In fact I just barely missed getting swiped off the road by a human driver two days ago. They woke up from their texting long enough to realize their exit was going by and they went for it without looking.

We have a couple of 4 lane road here where people are repeatedly getting on going the wrong direction. If smacking people actually worked, things would be a lot easier and better.

I have ridden in self driving cars. An autonomous car still has a human operator - but it is just one extra layer of protection between the human operator and disaster.
  6. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's just one more thing in the chain to break.
    Not interested.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  7. jay pc

jay pc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As seen from Europe (plenty of idiots, gun carrying as good as unknown).

I came to live in the US for a few years (late 70s/early 80s), and was astonished by how relaxed and non-confrontational drivers were
    compared to Europeans, with whom raised middle fingers, tail gating, insults and mild hysteria was the norm.
    Back then I put it down to civility promoted by never knowing if a gun might appear, and thought to myself "This is not bad at all..."

Reading this thread, it seems like a pretty good regulatory system has gone autoimmune...
  8. drrod1

drrod1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If those are the only 2 choices, then yes, I would take stomach cancer.
    "....5-year survival rate for people with pancreatic cancer is 9%...
    ....The 5-year survival rate for people with stomach cancer is 32%..
    ."

As for autonomous cars failing, and staying in failure mode......don't understand what you mean. At least there is a good chance it will be fixed whereas you can't fix stupid.
    vwnate1 and Sal Pairadice like this.
  9. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    Wish this was the case across all states. That said, the guy that waved the gun, even if unloaded, the person being threatened with deadly force is protected as the assailant “takes his victim as he finds them”... meaning if you select someone that can and will defend correctly against the PERCEIVED threat of deadly force, your victim selection criteria is faulty, and not the fault of the victim.

Barry
    vwnate1 and AZbiker like this.
  10. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    Damn skippy. I will go one step farther and say if it looks like a gun, it is a gun. Even if it's one of those shitty spring loaded Marksman pistols.

If I only have a split second to decide, then they are probably going to get shot. If it's a small child waving a gun around, I am going to hesitate. Probably a cap gun.

But an adult who has already acted aggressively towards me? If I have a shot, I'm taking it.
  11. Barry

Barry Just Beastly

Oddometer:
    My mantra is “I believe you”. If you display a threat of deadly force... I BELIEVE YOU. End of discussion.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    This forum is so gun oriented. Why would the driver of the truck use a gun?Think of how hard it is to draw and aim it, through his own windshield.

Meanwhile the biker has his gun drawn already. Its no contest.

You are in a running truck, in gear, pointed right at the guy. You floor it and steer for him and hope you can miss the girlfriend. The biker wiill run when he hears that big V8 roar and sees that grill getting huge. But even if he stands there and shoots you, you are going to get him. He's dead.
    RedShark and vwnate1 like this.
  13. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here in California the Harley guy would have gone straight to jail for a felony. Depending on the county, it's virtually (no, absolutely) impossible to get a concealed weapons permit, so you can safely assume that if this had happened here, the guy would have been carrying illegally. And there is no open carry in CA. That said, despite California's Soviet style intolerance toward firearms, our freeways sag under the weight of guns tucked under seats in automobiles.
    vwnate1 and Dan Diego like this.
  14. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    Even in Arizona, flashing iron like that would result in prosecution for a felony after an arrest. But that's all theoretical until he is booked.

I don't think California is unique in making Brandishing a felony.
    vwnate1 and Barry like this.
  15. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here to brandishing a weapon would get the biker a very long suspended sentence with probation, after all no one was hurt. :deal
    vwnate1 likes this.
  16. Friz Freleng

Friz Freleng Religious zealot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you're right. I think most states would hit the guy with a felony. Not sure about other states but CA would seize not only the pistol he waved around but any other firearm he owned. If convicted, the guy will at minimum be kissing that pistol goodbye. And since his conviction includes a firearms violation, his other firearms would be released to an FFL dealer for sale and the proceeds given to him. No more firearms for him in CA. Of course, CA would also check to see if any of his firearms were unregistered or prohibited (and there are lots of guns that CA prohibits), which would add to his grief.
    vwnate1 and Richarde1605 like this.
  17. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm amazed more people aren't shot in this country annually. I've come very close to using deadly force myself, but you don't get to brandish a weapon to get your way or make a point!
    vwnate1 and lnewqban like this.
  18. AZbiker

Oddometer:
    That's the same thing as here.

Being convicted of a felony makes one a prohibited possessor. Some felonies can be expunged, and people can get their 2A rights back.

But anything involving violence or weapons stays forever.

Of course, all this seizing relies on the person giving the weapons to the cops or the cops finding the weapons. There are no guarantees of either of those scenarios actually occurring.
    vwnate1 and Friz Freleng like this.
  19. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Sort of riffing from what the posters above are talking about here more than the OP. The thing to always keep in mind is that breaking the law is not like in the movies. Its not an Oceans Eleven plot. One minute you are a normal law abiding citizen and the next, well - there is a whole prison industrial complex dedicated to making your life miserable. You might get yourself thinking and acting in a way to cause yourself a lot of misery. I learned this the hard way that thoughts become split second actions that you can't undo. So, just always keep it in your mind that you are avoiding the fight. If the urge to fight gets too strong, walk as far and as fast as you can. That is what I do now. It is not worth it. Talk is cheap, use talk. Then walk.
    HickOnACrick, jwc, vwnate1 and 3 others like this.
  20. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This forum is obsessed with guns. Many believe that guns have the ability to take control of their owners and turn them into killers.

I always find it odd when people talk about road rage situations and then say something about how it could have gone if someone had a gun. Everyone is driving around in massive killing machines. If someone is going to go homicidal, they are driving their weapon.