Dude, lighten up! Anger issues?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Andyvh1959, Nov 19, 2020.

1. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Road rage would go away if everyone would just realize we all make stupid mistakes, or even intentional ones, and be on guard against that instead of operating like we own the road and everyone else should just get out of the way.

Like I said, prepare for stupid stuff to happen. After all, some time it will be us making the stupid stuff and if others are prepared, everyone will usually come out okay.

I got over being outraged about 30 years ago when I realized that we all screw up... and some are just plain jerks all the time. Be on guard for it. It will happen and you won't be surprised when it does.
    vwnate1, Gone in 60, Bors and 4 others like this.
  2. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap E-Tarded

Oddometer:
    I was on my way to a scooter dealer yesterday and stopped at a traffic light. I heard some yelling. I looked in my rearview and the occupants of 2 different vehicles were brawling it out. I can only guess it was road rage related. People are nuts.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  3. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wrong, it would stop when people stop behaving like selfish pricks and care that their actions effect other people. Better yet simply realize their actions effect others.
    vwnate1, Bar None, Tall Man and 2 others like this.
  4. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    On what planet do you envision this happening?
    vwnate1 and Bar None like this.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ork? Look how friendly Mork was.

Nanu nanu! :-)
  6. Hopin

Hopin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of both would go a long way. Just saying:super
    vwnate1 likes this.
  7. baldman1

baldman1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not on earth that's for sure.
  8. easyrider88

easyrider88 POsIng PrO

Oddometer:
    white harley huh.could be all his bros teased him about his girlie looking bike and he blew a gasket???
    vwnate1 likes this.
  9. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    But certainly not Melmac. At least not as evidenced by ALF. :lol3
    vwnate1 likes this.
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first and most important step starts with ourselves.

On motorcycle forums it's become a cliche to blame "cagers" for everything, but statistics and observation show motorcyclists are their own worst enemy.
    vwnate1 and bwalsh like this.
  11. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Ape hangers just say dumbass, don't they? I had a friend that had them for a while. They disappeared pretty quick. I asked him what happened to them. He said he couldn't see.
    vwnate1 likes this.
  12. AZbiker

AZbiker Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer:
    When the correct height bars are chosen, they work just fine.
  13. Dennyf

Dennyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding avoiding ragers, and avoiding raging myself, I make a game out of riding defensively. I assume every driver has driving as about number 3 on their current "to-do" list, and try to guess which stupid thing they're going to do in a given scenario. It's disheartening to be right so often. But i have very few close calls.
    Bt10, vwnate1 and Richarde1605 like this.
  14. T-34

T-34 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run brights on the bike all the time.

People are insane and retarded today.

I adopted a new attitude a couple years ago. "Be the grey man."
  15. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The grey man goes unnoticed.

The idiot blinding people with his brights on triggers road rage wherever he goes. Which is it?
    JaySwear, vwnate1, Rider2 and 2 others like this.
  16. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember only one person can make you mad...yourself.

Other can try. I try to take no offense where none is intended. When it is intended, I don't take offense out of spite.
    yamalama, vwnate1, Gone in 60 and 2 others like this.
  17. T-34

T-34 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My old Harley has brights that aren't really that bright by modern standards. On newer bikes I've had, its brights during the day, dims at night.

As far as the grey man lifestyle, I don't have any political bumper stickers on my car, or anything else. Not even a "Glock Perfection." I try not to draw attention to myself in public with my clothing or behavior. No one notices the grey man.

The motorcycle stuff is just the practicality of not being killed. Thats why the bright red lid too. Besides it just being damn sexy.
    AZbiker likes this.
  18. Dennyf

Dennyf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A great point, which I try to remember. But it's so hard. So hard.
    CaptCapsize, vwnate1 and T-34 like this.
  19. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am "The Grey Man" when I ride. I like to rotate between helmets and jackets for my daily commute. One reason, which I keep in the back of my head, is that if I ever piss someone off in traffic, the next day, I'll look different if that guy tries to spot me.

My wife is "The Grey Lady". She's converted to Telemedicine, but she used to visit patients all over Southern California, sometimes in unsavory neighborhoods. A few years back, we bought a friend's pain-jane, grey Honda CRV. Base model with steel wheels and minimal trim. I suggested that we dress it up a bit with nicer wheels, etc. She said no, she wanted to keep it just like it was, so that it would blend into any neighborhood, and be invisible on the road. She won't even slap a bumper sticker on it.

To the credit of the guy who yelled at me for having lights that were too bright during the daytime, I kept mulling that over. It occurred to me that I had the front end of my bike rebuilt earlier in the year, and that it was possible that the shop removed my lights to do the work, and may not have aimed them too carefully when they put it back together. I took it out to a dark street a few nights ago, and yup, they could do with a bit of re-aiming. I hope I come across that guy again to see if he appreciates it...
    CaptCapsize, vwnate1 and T-34 like this.
  20. ChaoSS402

ChaoSS402 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Even during the day brights can be irritating, and encourage people to avert their eyes. You are becoming less visible, not more so.

I say this as a professional driver who spends a lot of time on the road. Not just trying to be a dick, the fact is that the things many people do to make themselves more visible really are counter productive.