Dumb question: Can you drop the 1190 engine into 990A or 950SE frame?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by evermore, Oct 2, 2014.

1. evermore

evermore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How similiar/dissimilar are all these variations of the LC8 engine? Would this fit? And the next question of course, would the 1290 SD or 1290 SA engine fit into one of those earlier frames?
  2. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    Yep. But take some work.
  3. HeatXfer

HeatXfer Bad knees

Oddometer:
    I think the question should be "Can you drop an 1190 engine into a 9XX frame with little or no modifications?" Because of course you can put nearly any engine in almost any frame you wanted to.

[​IMG]
  4. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer:
    ...but it isn´t that huge task compared to another type/manufacturers engine.

It will fit ok.
    Swing arm mount is the same size.
    [​IMG]
    Though the the spacers on the 1190/RC8R engine will need to be 3mm less on each side.
    [​IMG]

Then there is the bigger topends. The complete engine needs to sit back as far possible. It will help you clear the radiator, which will give room for the radiator. So the 21" have clearence under full compression. In order to do this cut of one of the trellis, bend it and remount.
    [​IMG]

Then you have to rethink the centerstand...me thinking, i just cut it.
    [​IMG]

aaaaand then your ready...
    [​IMG]

aaahhh we need the engine mounts on the frame. You have completely change mounting points. But its doable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beware that the RC8(R) is mounted with 4 bolts on each side originally. But i´ve locktighted and tested this and it work perfect.

One of the bigger problems was the standard tanks. They won´t fit and you can´t weld them. If you got the beans, spill on Pete640 and let him his magiv and copypaste some 950 tanks and remake the interior to suit the new shapes of the engine. I chose the Safaris as i want the distance.

I got Pete640 to make me some reartanks/rallystyle and they are beautyful. I can´t say enough how cool they are.
    [​IMG]

THe bike it self is getting an engine swap again. Long story, but i´ve just bought an RC8R 11 engine and will mount the transmission from an adventure 1190(fits straight in). This plus some other stuff would hopefully make my dreamride.

THe package looks good and is mounted in the right frame IMO.
    [​IMG]

Regards
    Mikael
    DistortedAxis likes this.
  5. evermore

evermore Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, cool, you've actually gone ahead and done it. Not a straight swap but not some Frankenstein either. =)
  6. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    lel, love the seat:rofl:rofl
  7. madbiker1

madbiker1 Evilman

Oddometer:
    It's time to replace my 990 engine. Blew up yesterday. I was hoping to see the photos of that transplanted 1190 into a 990 frame.