Dunlop D908 Rally Raid?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by muddyrabbit, Mar 28, 2011.

1. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Has anyone got any experience with this tire? I thinking of trying one out, and wanted to get opinions on it. I've been happy with my D606, but now that I have an 18" rim on the bike this looks like it may last a little longer than the D606.

D908 on left, and D606 on right:

[​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    My opinion is that the 606 on the front is a good tire that wears well, lasts a long time and works for a wide variety of conditions. My experience with the 908's is that they were very squirrely at first and took a while to break in. I had them on a 950 so its possible the bike weight affected them adversly. I would stick with the 606 up front and maybe try the 908 on the rear.
  3. K7MDL

K7MDL 2015 Tiger 800XCx

Oddometer:
    Same here, on my 320lb TE610, the D908 are expensive, the front wobbled at 70mph, and wore out (3K miles) in almost half the time my D606 front did. The rear 908 did better, but too large. D606 front I just replaced went about 8K miles, 5K+ on the back D606, just about to replace it with another D606. I have a T63 on the front now to see how that works. About $15-$20 less than a D606. Handles well so far on pavement.
  4. Seth S

Seth S Will _____ for _____

Oddometer:
    I should say I ran the 606 front most recently on my 350 lb ktm 690. I ran a Kenda Trakmaster II all last summer on the rear of the 690 in a 120/18 size and it worked great. I put close to 1500 miles on it before it was toast. Tires works well in lots of New England conditions and its cheap...like $50 or so from rockymountain atv.
  5. WARRIORPRINCEJJ

WARRIORPRINCEJJ MGHOWWK30

Oddometer:
    The 606 front / 908 rear combo., that Seth mentioned, is very popular with the Orange Crush crowd.

Because of that, I (just recently) mounted a 908 rear on my Super Enduro. The street manners are very good, in my humble opinion. However, it seems as though the first 1/3 of the tread was gone within 400 miles. :eek1

I can't give you much of a review, as I don't have many miles on it. I can tell you that, if I toast this thing in 1200-1500 miles, the Mefo or Heidenau will be the next contestant on "The Tire is Right"...

espi likes this.
  6. Luke

Luke GPoET&P

Oddometer:
    I put a 606 front / 908 rear set on my KTM 640 10,000 miles ago. The front was shot in 4k miles, the rear is still on there with about 1/4 of its tread height left in the middle. Traction is a lot like a TKC80: good enough on pavement, better than a street tire off pavement. It'll have a lot less traction off-pavement than the 606. If you're going to ride mud with the 908 you should be comfortable with the back end sliding side to side a lot. The 908 is very stiff, so you can (and should) run low air pressure when you need it. Even on the pavement, 15psi in the 908 feels more stable than 20 psi in a 606.

Shorter: I like it as a long-life pavement and gravel road tire.
  7. RacerXS

RacerXS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run the 908 rear 606 front on my 690E & it seems like a perfect fit for the bike & the conditions I run (typical jersey sand & mud trails, and the occasional commute to work) .

I just did a pretty gnarly enduro on them & I have no complaints at all. The front 606 gets a bit squirmy at speed on the road, love everything about the 908 except for the price.

And just for the record, the 908 is definitely more aggresive then a TKC.
  8. BRYANDENNY71

BRYANDENNY71 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the 908's on the front & rear.

I've only put 500 miles, but the front is wearing great, the rear seems like its wearing a little faster than the front.

Most of my miles are in the dirt & the rear is a little slippery.

The front hooks up great in the dirt.

Run them both at 10psi.

Both do fine on the street too.

My next rear will be more dirt worthy tho.

But overall a good set of tires.
  9. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the good input. I should have specified I was only looking at the 908 for the rear, I was also thinking 606 up front as many of you mentioned. I have a BMW X-Country and I changed to 21/18 wheels. I was happy with the 606 rear, but now that I have more options with the 18 I thought I would check out my other options. Would anyone that has tried both say that under the same conditions the 908 will outlast a 606 rear when used as a gravel road/light trail use tire?
  10. DaveInSt.Augustine

DaveInSt.Augustine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious how this new tire performs off road. Has anyone tried this tire?

BIG BLOCKK784The all new Big Block Adventure bike tire is here! Go anywhere you'd like from street to trail on this hybrid dual sport from Kenda!
    High Impact bias casing for high level of puncture resistance
    Rubber compound designed specifically for tread longevity
    Tread pattern provides a smooth ride on the road while still hooking up in the dirt
  11. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    I have ordered two of the Big Blocks for inmates, and after seeing them in person I think they are a great alternative to a TKC80 for way less money. No idea how long they will last compared to the TKC80 though. I do know that after the first production run sold out our dealer cost went up about $10 each, and they are currently on back order from my distributor.
  12. DaveInSt.Augustine

DaveInSt.Augustine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Motorcycle superstore has them. Im going to try them on my 690.

13. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Retailers still have them because they cleaned out the distributors. On the distributor side, if you are a retailer trying to get them, certain sizes are on back order, and the b/o date has been pushed back twice.