1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Dunlop TKC 80 3300 k/7 days review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by rhino boy, Oct 9, 2002.

1. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Just did a 3300 kilo round trip 60% asphalt and 40% off road using thesetyres for the first time.

Here's my comments. The Tyres had already done 1400 k's (I bought a demo Adventure) and were slightly squared off.

The bike was lightly loaded and with me, carried 110 -120 KG. we ran 34 psi F and R.

The tyres performed well on asphalt, but they noticeably turn in quicker and this almost a feelling that they 'drop in' . They don't, it just feels that way!

My travelling partner has a 1100 GS and used brand new TKC's and noted the same thing, so it was'nt the fact they were slightly squared off.

I ran them up to 180 kph and into corners at 160kph. They don't handle like the Tourance's I normally run, but you can live with them on asphalt, because they are BLOODY BRILLIANT ON DIRT!

We travelled 1100 - 1200 k's on a mixture of gravel, sand, soft sand and stony surfaces at speeds of up to 130-140 kph, using 24 psi pressure F and R. I had travelled these roads before using Tourance and the TKC's are a huge improvement.

You can bit soft sand at speed and have confidence that a little front wriggle is all you will get and the bike drives through. No drama's no slides, no breaking away, a revelation. Even on the hard stones, the tyres performed well.

They do wear though and the rear at 4700 k's is close to shot, and very squared off, the front less so. There have been previous discussions that the rate of wear slows and we observed this also.

Would I use them again? You bet! However, not as a daily rider. Around town and for a scratch, the Tourance, but if I'm going to mix it up and will travel 5000 - 6000'ks I will use the TKC's.

Attached is a photo of the bike in the Australian desert country last week at 120-130 kph with a happy and confident rider a result of BMW's superb engineering and the TKC's.

*** Thanks to Cpt. Ron for reminding me that Continental make the tyres not Dunlop as originally posted***
  2. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    I love the photo:thumb

I also love my TKC 80's..just wish I could get about 5K miles out of them so I could tour on them.
  3. Robert

Robert KickAss Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like all the good things I hear about the TKC-80's. Anyone ever note the difference in wear between bikes....say a 75hp, 550# 1150GS and a 400# 650cc dual-sport???
    I want to get a pair for my Elefant when the Gripsters it came with get some miles on 'em. :rofl
  4. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Can't argue with anything you say, but.......

the TKC's are made by Continental.
  5. rhino boy

rhino boy Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks, what a putz!