Dunlop Trailmax Mission adv tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eakins, Oct 10, 2019.

1. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the identical experience spooning the tires on my bike. The rear was easy while the front required a lot more effort than normal...
    So far I like them as well, so if mileage holds up they’ll be my go to tire too.
    jdub likes this.
  2. slink

slink Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Results of Chaparral Motorsports extensive adventure tire shootout are now online at:
    ktmrider36, dolomite, swimmer and 3 others like this.
  3. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did about 100 miles on hardpack gravel today and I’m impressed with the Dunlop’s. They grip well and are predictable in the turns and don’t break out easily blipping the throttle. I was using enduro pro mode which controls the throttle and brakes and other things but IMHO I could do the TAT on them, barring heavy mud or deep sand which the big pig sucks at ( and me too:rofl) YMMV
    jdub likes this.
  4. ejm4

ejm4 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered these for my 2018 R1200 GSA. Just waiting for the dealer to call that they arrived. I will be replacing the Karoo 3's.
  5. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another 100 miles today on my day-old Mission tires, about half of that on mild forest roads lightly muddy from rain last night. For everything I've tried so far, the front is truly impressive - tracks perfectly everywhere its pointed. Today, with off-road ABS selected, I nailed the front brake at about 15 mph and after one quick ABS cycling the bike just stopped. Much better than I was expecting, and I don't think full knobbies could have done any better in this stuff. I've already forgiven the front for being so hard to spoon on. :D

The rear did fine in this stuff as long as I was moving, but it surprised me a bit when I started off after stopping for two horseback riders going the other way. Twice in this stuff the rear stepped out sideways as I cycled the clutch, and then it finally gripped and moved me forward. Did the exact same thing after stopping to take the below pics. Not a big deal, just made me say, "Huh".

Purposely tried out the side lug design claims by stopping in an erosion channel about six inches deep, then turned the bar a bit and tried to ride up and out to the left side. Couldn't detect any slippage as both tires just gripped and smoothly went up and out of the rut. Nice.

One big and unexpected plus: On my way to the dirt roads, I crossed a steel grate bridge about 100 yards long. Other tires traversing this stretch have produced everything from a mild weave to a pucker factor-producing violent bar shake. With the Missions, I believe I could have set the cruise control and removed my hands from the bars. It was just like going down a smooth stretch of asphalt. Color me impressed, and I'm looking forward to more and bigger challenges as they present themselves.

20200315_155511.jpg 20200315_155537.jpg 20200315_155558.jpg
    23103a, davidji, James Adams and 10 others like this.
  6. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don’t know if it was mentioned already or I missed it but, Dunlop has a rebate going on til the end of April. $20/ tire and another $20 if dealer installed. Fine print- must purchase from “pro dealer” which appears to be some motorcycle dealers. Revzilla wasn’t one but a Cycle Gear brick and mortar was as were a Honda, Ducati, etc shops nearby. So, it may or may not be worthwhile to some.

https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/offers/february-april-pro-dealer-2128/
  7. slow24

slow24 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have almolst 3k miles on the Missions, mostly street. i have to say the handling and the ware has been great!
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  8. SnowGS

SnowGS It wasn’t me, officer.

Oddometer:
    My ridiculous dealer has a Harley counter and a BMW counter. Turns out the Harley counter qualifies as "pro dealer" but the BMW counter does not ((separate business entities). That's $20 each tire plus another $20 for the install I can't get because it's on the "wrong receipt".
    Gonna send the receipts anyways...
  9. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I went to Cycle Gear today to buy these tires in the hopes that I can get the rebate. With the online price match and with AZ collecting sales tax there really is no difference between getting the tires there or ordering online. Since of course the tires aren't in stock they have to order them and you end up with an online order receipt that looks no different than one you would print out online after ordering. So, whether or not I will be able to get the rebate remains to be seen.
  10. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Odd, on the Dunlop “pro dealer” search some Cycle Gear locations are considered and some not. I wouldn’t think it in anyone’s interest to split hairs like it seems somebody is doing.

Or buy tires from one counter at a dealership but not another in the same store.
  11. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered a set from chapmoto which shows to be a “pro dealer”. I went to the Dunlop website to submit the online rebate. Chapmoto was on the list. However, since it was an “online” purchase the purchase did not qualify for the rebate.

Sure glad I went thru the hassle of finding a “pro dealer “.

I just went there to see if it would give me the same message...it did.
    81B9BB30-CD52-42C6-84CA-13A6FA75DD57.png
  12. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I was able to go through the rebate process with my Cycle Gear in store order. We'll see if it clears the approval.
  13. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info, I was about to order them online from Cycle Gear!
  14. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Talked to a guy Saturday, told me he bought a set at OKC Cycle Gear, online pricing, mounted and balance for $25 each if you buy them there.
    Didn't mention any rebate though.
  15. camodog

camodog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bought a set off Revzilla last night. will report back after putting some miles on them.
  16. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stopped by there last Friday and got the same info. I already knew about the rebate so I didn’t bring it up with them. I left and had planned on ordering online with delivery to the store when I’m ready for tires (still have 1500 or so miles left on my current tires) now that Dunlop supposedly doesn’t recognize online purchases I’ll call the store to order when I’m ready. The rebate is $60 total if you have the Pro-dealer install them.
  17. camodog

camodog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine were delivered today. i am hoping to get them mounted tomorrow and start reporting back.

Attached Files:

18. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    So consensus seems great tire for road, fire/forest service roads, and packed dirt...but not the greatest in the rain? Is this correct from those riding on them? Or is the wet conditions an exaggeration? I rode on Shinko 705 on my last bike ('15 GSA) and never really had a problem but would like more traction on the forest service roads. In comparison my Tiger 800XC had Mitas E07 and they were good. Had experience with TKC 70 and didn't like the front end at all.

Riding a '17 GS Rallye now and sifting through this thread for reviews. It seems I'm gonna go with the Trailmax Missions
  19. cwadej

cwadej Keeper of the truth

Oddometer:
    I dont ride like anyone else in the thread. Nor do you. I haven'e had any issues in the rain, a guy in England has. Only way for you to know is to ride them.
  20. Xsv

Xsv Going nowhere, fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have about 60 miles on these tires. Came from tkc70’s. I think this is the first set of bias tires I have ever had on a bike. Is there a different feel? Bike almost feels “heavy”. More input required to get the bike leaned over.

Not bad, just different. Is this representative of a bias ply tire or just a sign that I need to ride more to get these completely scrubbed in?

Edit: just went and checked tire pressure-cold
    38r
    34f

I will up to 42r and 36f and see if it feels different.