Dunlop Trailmax Mission adv tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eakins, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Tomahawkktm

Tomahawkktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a pair of these for my 1090 adv r and I'm getting them thrown on hopefully tomorrow. I'll post this weekend once i replace my rear brake pedal and get out on a decent ride.
  2. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting, my 170/60-17 doesn't have that either.
  3. ktmrider36

ktmrider36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im guessing the center bar adds some stability for the heavier bikes and supports surrounding tread. It’s about 1 and 1/8 inch wide. You still have deep tread on each side of it which is somewhat in the middle of the tire. There is sometimes a slight loss of traction when the bike is straight up and then grabs as soon as you lean into the deeper tread. I can live with that for now. We’ll see when I wear down to the center bar.
  4. N0madic

N0madic Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Different sizes have different tread configurations front and rear according to Dunlop. Here's the set going on my ATAS.

ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission 2.jpg

ATAS Dunlop Trailmax Mission 1.jpg
  5. flexiflyer

flexiflyer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    90/90-21 for front of the Klr to pair with an E07 "classic" rear, 100/90-19 and 130/80-17 for the versys X

IMG_7823.JPG
  6. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Being a rider who has grown used to the feel of various 50/50 tire types, I would say my wet and cold riding experience on the missions has me felling like they are far better than average for the class. (Recently run E07 regular and dakar,804,805,trekrider, kenda big blocks)

A little better than trekriders which were my wet pavement champions to date. I have about 800miles of that type of cold wet northwest miles on them so far.

Mounted on vfr1200x

Greg
  7. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Here are the rest of my findings so far from another thread. I will be in the market very soon for a new set of 50/50s for my CB500x and I am finding precious few reasons to go with more traditional knobbies again.

Part 1: rear only
    Well I only have one of them to test so far, but I will give some impressions because they are good. On the rear of the VFRX DCT is a 150/70/17 Dunlop Mission Trail tire and the front still has a half worn Avon Trek Rider in place. I rode from Gig Harbor, WA down to Goldendale, WA yesterday via I5 then I84 along the gorge crossing at Biggs and up the hill for gas then planned out a route through the Goodnoe Hills area seeking both paved and dirt minor roads. It was wet pavement for the first 220 miles then dried up at Hood River for about 200 miles in the east until a fully wet ride west and north again in the afternoon to return home. I rode lots of straight and twisty pavement both wet and dry, plus about 55 miles of thin to deep gravel and some rocky and simple dirt unimproved roads that were mild two track in places. I hit no real mud or sand so can't talk about that.

The Mission Trail looks to me like a Shinko 705, but with deeper grooves, slightly wider grooves, and a few more of them at more varied angles. On the pavement it handles well, makes no noise, leans into corners like a road tire, and sticks to wet pavement very well with very little response to tar snakes. My front Avon Trek rider has good wet riding manners, but the Dunlop is better.

On thin gravel and dirt, and tire feels great and has good traction both for cornering and changing speeds but the braking was just a tad less powerful feeling than other 50/50 tires such as the E07, 805, or TKC80. Still has good and predictable braking, but less bite than those others which was not surprising. It has great cornering grip and felt closer to the others while biting around a corner.

In deeper gravel where its piled up in areas, or in deeper softer dirt sections, it also felt good, with the only difference being stability above 50mph. On a slightly more aggressive tire on this bike, I can ride gravel/dirt up to 80+mph and the bike still feels stable, but with the mission on the back, it was starting a rear sway as I passed 55. That is fine with me as I don't really need to ride soft surfaces that fast (hard to resist at times).

Comparing it to the Shinko 705, I would say off pavement, the mission feels half way between that tire and an E07, but with better road manners than either. It is shaping up to be a very good tire for this bike, especially if it lasts longer than the Trekriders I have been riding and loving. I will put a mission front on the bike soon, and check back in after some time with both. I am guessing the Trek Riders may have a bit more control in the dirt, but the missions may last longer, and both feel great for sport touring duty.

Dirt road examples from yesterday,

https://photos.app.goo.gl/A8ZvQUrVrdvNuXTs6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZnxcVMgbae7gRjwS8
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/efWsV9mQ6L3jbjva7
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/aELN8Z3PLtDLqSkCA
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/NSegRwSEqfhBkY778

Part 2:
    Second chapter after mounting the front tire and covering a few hundred miles including about 60 miles of mixed wet/dry off pavement in the Willapa Hills of Washington State.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FM7ymA8Gyicvd32Z8

I have the front mounted now and started with stock pressure which felt fine on pavement but too firm on dirt so I dropped to about 30 which felt better. The front feel on paved surfaces wet and dry is really good, similar to a sport touring tire and thanks to more rain in the morning, I can confirm the wet grip on these missions is really a notch better than I am used to, after the Trekriders and E07s. They felt very good on gravel both small and large, deep and shallow, very good in the dirt and even stable on shallow mud covered road sections. Really impressed and if these wear longer than the Trekriders (about 5k miles rear), I see no reason not to buy them again.

Part 3:

Put in nearly 750 miles yesterday to reach a loop in north central Oregon. The Mission Trail tires felt great and are very sticky on those twisty roads. Also smooth rolling and I can only feel the pattern at all when leaned over in low speed tight bends.

Greg
    floalex, HBL, 23103a and 2 others like this.
  8. dbc

dbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On my crf450l....
    016.JPG
    011.JPG
    95Monster and Chillis like this.
  9. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    How they ride on a lightweight bike like the 450L?
    Chillis likes this.
  10. dbc

dbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I posted over in the 450L thread. I haven't taken them in the dirt yet, but they're great on the street. No noise, smooth ride & hook up.
    Chillis likes this.
  11. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just mounted up a 21" front for my thumper (already have a set on the Frankenbeemer)
    IMG_20200509_182636585.jpg

I'm used to spooning on 50/50 tires and already though that these tires weren't bad as these things go. But I just bought one of these gizmos and decided to try it out.
    [​IMG]
    It worked amazingly well. Normally takes me between 10 and 20 minutes to get both beads over the rim, completed the task in about 5. So for those of you who have trouble with tires, this might be well worth the investment.
  12. MVI

MVI MVI Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use 3 of these bead buddy II's to make the install easier. Great Product
  13. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that a 140 on the back.?
  14. dbc

dbc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    120/90-18
  15. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates on these?

Interested in them as a 50/50. Currently on TKC80's which work decently well in all conditions but not expecting big mileage.
  16. ktmrider36

ktmrider36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    6,000 miles. 80% on the street. On a 1090 Adventure R.

Attached Files:

Xchemie, Chillis and jdub like this.
  17. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Any updates for bikes below 400 lbs and semi aggressive off-road riding?
  18. tennyis

tennyis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have them on my strom and am getting a CRF450L. I bet they will last forever on the 450! Have you had them out in the dirt yet? On the strom anyways they work great on hard pack, gravel, best tires i've ever used in loose gravel. They big drawback,like any 50/50 tire is mud.
    Chillis likes this.
  19. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Ordered a set for my 701 Enduro.

Hope they are as good as the reviews say.

Tried finding some in stock in a few stores today and the shops were all clueless about this tire.
  20. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Rock Mountain ATV has them, though I decided to stick with my Tractionator GPS for now.