Dunlop Trailmax Mission adv tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eakins, Oct 10, 2019.

1. greeng

greeng HoHoHo GreenGiant

Oddometer:
    Just mounted mine today. First impressions are that they are very stiff compared to the TKC 80's to mount. I believe the rear could run without air. looking forward to putting some miles on this weekend. I'm not sure I'd want to try to get these off the bead on the road. I'll probably give it a shot just to see what I'm dealing with after a couple 1000 miles.
    Chillis likes this.
  2. greeng

greeng HoHoHo GreenGiant

Oddometer:
    OK - I put about 430 miles in today 90% road, 10% dirt.

I'm coming off of 3 years of TKC80's - my first impression is that there's no knobby rumble. Much smoother and quieter than the the TKC's. I got a little too aggressive too soon and slid the back tire a few times, but after things settled in a little, I got more an more confident in my lean angles. The tires turn in well, and they're pretty balanced mid-corner, much like a good street tire. Highway stability at 80MPH was good, and they are notably cooler to the touch after a highway run than the TKC's which may explain some of the extra longevity. On the dirt, the front tracked pretty well, maybe not quite as good as the knobbies, but the back hooked up nicely, and slid really well. Braking distances on pavement were considerably shorter, on dirt, just a tad longer. I'm getting ready to take off on the MABDR, so I'll update in a few thousand miles, but right now? Happy with the performance if I really do get twice the life.
  3. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    My experience vs. the TKC80 mirrors yours and I said the same in an earlier post as you said in your previous post that the rear could probably run with no air.

Due to the stiffness of the front tire vs the TKC80 I think I will run a bit lower pressure for any rides comprising of a lot of dirt roads. To increase the footprint as much as for softening up the ride as the Dunlop feels a little more sketchy in the small amounts of sand I have crossed.

I'm on a '18 AT FWIW.
    greeng and Chillis like this.
  4. Chillis

Chillis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Chaparral tire test rated the Mission very well in most categories. Maybe not best in off road segments but still really good.

They said they are heavier tires than the competition.

They seemed to have bested the TKC-80 in every performance related category.

If I can have TKC-80 dirt performance with the vastly improved street manners I will be a happy camper.

With sidewalls being so stiff I will probably air them down off-road. We'll see soon enough.
  5. greeng

greeng HoHoHo GreenGiant

Oddometer:
    They are much heavier. I should have put them on the scale, but the rear is probably 2X. They are also much harder to mount - I've spooned on 10+ sets of TKC 80's over the last 3 years (which speaks to their longevity). That said, I did do it myself in the garage with manual tools, it just took longer and required more effort. If I was going to Alaska I think I'd run these instead of trying to figure out a tire swap - that's just a guess though - We'll see how they do offroad after 5K...
    Chillis likes this.
  6. Chillis

Oddometer:
    These tires must be hot because I still haven't been able to source a set. I live in the same town as Revzilla's warehouse too. Ordered from them last week and still nothing. Usually they are at my house within one or two times of my head hitting the pillow.
  7. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    mkccowboy and Chillis like this.
  8. Chillis

Oddometer:
  9. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought Missions from both Revzilla and ChapMoto. No issues with either company except the last tire I got from Revzilla appeared on my doorstep before they sent me anything telling me it had shipped.

RockyMountain also sells them.
    Chillis likes this.
  10. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Hope that is the case. I can't wait to get these tires.
  11. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My tires from Revzilla as well; their drop-ship game is solid.
  12. Chillis

Oddometer:
    Finally arrived!

Now to get them fitted next week.

IMG_20200529_160512.jpg

Going on a Husky 701 Enduro.
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  13. BioStrom

BioStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    57CC75E0-EB3F-4B0B-AF21-344B119C4E73.jpeg 49022E5B-8C74-4043-9286-DD7E2F914F44.jpeg Fitted to a F850GS this week. Much quieter than the factory Michelin Anakee III tires. Looking forward to hitting the dirt!
    DirtyDaveMO, Chillis and ZoomerP like this.
  14. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    3k mile update on VFR1200x. Going well and still impressed with the handling of these in various conditions. Did a few hundred miles including lots of dirt and rock yesterday with a friend on a GS1200 running same tires and he is liking them as well. He loves the sport touring feel with dirt traction abilities.

My rear looks like this at 3k and has lots of life left. This is on a heavy and torquey machine and I "ride" it, even sideways at one time yesterday:)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Greg
    Flyin' Monkeys and Chillis like this.
  15. Chillis

Oddometer:
    That looks great!
  16. DesertDonor

DesertDonor Deep Sand and Mud Detector

Oddometer:
    I have a Dunlop Trailmax Mission on order for the front. Hoping it comes in this week. My Heidenau K60 Scout has more than earned retirement, at 17k miles.

I'm not dealing with mounting it. I'm happy to pay the shop to handle that pain in the butt. Owner cut me a deal on a fork rebuild, and I've already reached my quota of "sweating and struggling in the garage for motorcycle maintenance" for the year.

Also, he's the only shop here who charges a remotely reasonable tire mounting fee ($25, and he might even comp me on that). Cycle Gear and another independent shop both want $50 per tire. I didn't even bother asking the dealers.
  17. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    it might be a bit of a cheat but these things off of amazon make mounting stiff tires a breeze.

[​IMG]
  18. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'll love the Mission front about 39 different ways over that K60 Scout. The Mission may not last quite as long, but you'll like what it brings to the table in terms of performance and confidence.
    DesertDonor and Chillis like this.
  19. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  20. floalex

floalex Been here awhile

Oddometer: