1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines this year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Dunlop Trailmax Mission adv tires

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by eakins, Oct 10, 2019.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    From Strom owner thread

image.jpeg
    bobw and 1upAdventures like this.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    My pics

20200212_174032.jpg
    20200212_173916.jpg
  3. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    150-17" but it looks small.
  5. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    It does look narrow. That's why I asked.
  6. sirvelo

sirvelo Miles to go before I sleep Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a shot of my bike from rear angle to give you perspective on back tire size.
    53B26C8E-27CA-4E08-9242-0BCB1772D04B.jpeg
    RsZk and n.l like this.
  7. Chrissy K

Chrissy K n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello All first post here !. So i recently had some Dunlop Trailmax Missions shipped over from the US to the UK for r1250gs - after having the anakee adventures 3's from new. Initial thoughts are thus - forget all the bollox from the marketing guys here's some feedback from UK winter wet roads. Road riding on tarmac in the damp/wet has the traction control light flashing harder than a Thai hookers open sign. Whilst its early days they DO NOT give the same grip on tarmac in the wet as the adventure 3's - Off road on mud - clog quickly and loose grip, but DO clear out quickly, light dirt roads/grass are grippy and fun, turn the traction control off and you can have the rear end sideways but control it. Dry uk roads are pretty good but i do stress its early days about 200 miles in now so getting the feel of them. Turning is slower too. but you get used to it, going to give them a 1000 miles and see how it goes. As it stands and this is just my personal opinion, they are not perfect, but what tyre is eh ? will keep you all posted with my findings.
    ktmrider36, Motopsychoman and n.l like this.
  8. ktmrider36

ktmrider36 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m running a Trailmax Mission on the rear matched with a TKC80 on the front on a KTM 1090 Adventure R. Here is a look at tread at 2900 miles. Probably 80 percent of the mileage is street and I’m very happy with it. I ride aggressively in the turns and it has earned my respect there and I appreciate how quiet it is. I have yet to ride it in the rain.

Off road I don’t think the middle of the tire grabs as well as the TKC80 but I really didn’t expect it to. The tire spin is controllable as the side of the tire seems to grab very well. Kind of a fun situation most of the time but I don’t think I will appreciate that on steep hill climbs. I should point out that I am running street tire pressure off road and I’m sure a lot of that spin would be eliminated if I was to air down.

As you can see from the pictures, it is wearing well.

Attached Files:

emxgarcia, bobw, DR Steve and 3 others like this.
  9. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I notice the 18" rear on the KTM above has a center rib that the 17" rears don't appear to have. From the above pics it looks like the rib is about half the tread depth high ?
    eakins likes this.
  10. ktmrider36

Oddometer:
    Rib is over halfway now but that sounds about right since the higher tread has been wearing.
  11. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The center rib in the 18" is a bit disappointing but I guess it could be removed with a tyre groover when it's getting close to being exposed. Once the rib comes into play you'd be worse off than using a Shinko 705. Braking on loose surfaces with a center rib on the rear isn't a lot of fun.
  12. ktmrider36

Oddometer:
    That will change the handling characteristics of the tire for sure. It will probably have about 5 thousands miles on it by that time and will still have adequate tread tho it’s off-road usefulness will be diminished. I’m hoping I can squeeze another couple thousand miles after that. That would be a 7 thousand mile rear for me. Total speculation I know. I’ll report back and we’ll see.
  13. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for Dunflop to release more sizes. Their rear tires are all too wide for my bikes. They haven't returned my email inquiries. Anybody else have any info?
  14. James Adams

James Adams Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dunlop-Trailmax-Mission-adventure-motorcycle-tire-sizes-2.jpg

This is what's been announced.
  15. Chrissy K

Chrissy K n00b

Oddometer:
    So posted on the 17th and have managed to notch up another 300 miles. Sorry to have to tell you this, but the Missions are awful in the wet, dry tarmac fine, gravel tracks wet n dry fine, but using on the Tarmac in the UK in the wet is no fun at all. A good friend who was at the london Excel motorcycle show was chatting to the head of Dunlop Motorcycle tyres European sales (a dutch guy) who basically said that dunlop are aware of how bad they are in the wet and this is the reason they are NOT coming to europe.. so have ordered a set of Mitas E07 Plus .... you live and learn. Incidently the Michelin Anakee Adventures, far better grip in wet cold uk roads.. I guess the missions in nice hot dry countries they are going to be great.....
  16. J.Mo

J.Mo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow if that info is correct... I emailed dunlop about the release in Europe and the response was quite vague. Pretty strange that they would develop a tire which performs that badly in the wet when there is so much competition.
  17. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know that was what they announced, but nothing after Phase 1 has appeared yet. I need one of the Phase 2 sizes for my airhead.
    Thanks anyway.
  18. Motopsychoman

Oddometer:
    Front? Rear? Both? Would you say they are worse than the K60 Scouts in the wet?
    I do like the older E07 tires, especially the Dakars, but was hoping the for more bite from a better front tire off-road.
    J.Mo likes this.
  19. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    To compare a 90/10 tire with 50/50 tires doesn't seem fair if your most important aspect is wet weather traction. Maybe you should stay with a 90/10 tire or a full street tire? I did not try these tires yet but I'm thinking that they are better in the rain than both k60/E07 or any other knobby.

What's next? In a few more days someone else will say that they suck off road compare to a Pirelli M21 or Dunlop 908?

Lots of riders will love this tire and lots will not, but I like what see till now.
    neanderthal likes this.
  20. J.Mo

J.Mo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to know how they compare to mitas e07 plus (which I had before). So 50/50 tires compared to one another. I would just buy them to try them out but that's not possible for now anyway here.