Durango to Mazatlan Highway

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by westnash, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Aaron.

I think "Tension Bridge" is the term? You're the Civil Engineer!

SR
  2. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    A couple weeks ago I went poking around the construction site on the KLR. It think if you wanted to, you could now follow construction access roads for almost the entire length of the highway. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    This road construction project is one of the biggest construction sites in the world and it is really intersting to see the hundreds of pieces of heavy equipment and tunnels and bridges in various stages of completion.

Sunday is a good day to go exploring around because the construction is stopped for the day. There are just a few security guards that don't care if you hurt yourself on the construction site or not, just as long as you don't steal any equipment.<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.4pt; HEIGHT: 11.4pt" id=pi_26 type="#_x0000_t75" alt="Laugh" o:spid="_x0000_i1025"><v:imagedata o:href="http://d26ya5yqg8yyvs.cloudfront.net/Laughing.gif" src="file:///C:/DOCUME~1/SRedak/LOCALS~1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I only have a couple cell phone photos. Aaron we should go explore the construction site sometime soon and get some good photos.

SR
  3. aaron_mx

aaron_mx Duranguense Biker

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but I'm a bad english speaker LOL

Maybe, and refeer to wikipedia the type is a cable-stayed bridge, than is a little different than Tension bridge...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable-stayed_bridge

Anyway, I need to back to work before I make a big mistake in some bridge-calculation!!! :rofl
  4. aaron_mx

Oddometer:
    Sure Stephen, we can visit that construction road... Maybe I can found some engineers friends there.
  5. aaron_mx

Oddometer:
    Yeah, we're in the office... The bridge calculations was a joke, we're making some bidding (licitaciones or concursos) to get more road construction work with SCT and we have to finish all this to thursday.
  6. stickfigure

stickfigure Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer:
    Sigh. I miss life outside the padded cell.

Jeff
  7. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    I'll be doing this road in two weeks. In the daytime:D Can anybody recommend a good hotel in Durango
  8. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I stayed there last week with my wife, and they have secure parking as described.

I left my Cowon D2 mp3 player there by mistake, and couldn't remember the name until I saw this post.

Anyone in Durango care to call them and ask them for it. I know I left it there.

Reward:clap
  9. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, I blew it,

the hotel name sounded the same, and they have secure bike parking too, but apparently, not the right place. :cry
  10. BobLoblaw

BobLoblaw Comfortably Numb

Oddometer:
    Hey SR, thanks for the info. I'll send you PM when I'm gettin close and we could meet for a taco
  11. MCP

MCP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Allan,

You're going to be our "Durango Expert" when we hold ALARR IV. We'll be staying there after the rally on our way to Copper Canyon. Are you headed to Copper Canyon also? You could also become our "Copper Canyon Expert"!:clap
  13. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    No route, no schedule (for the ride to Copper Canyon). We'll probably come up with some sort of plan at the rally.

I'm glad you're planning on attending. It will be good to see you again. :clap
  14. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Construction on the New Highway.
    [​IMG]
    It's neat to see the new bridges and tunnels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is not the big Baluarte bridge. I havnt made it that far yet but the access roads are fun to explore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It is always fun to be the first Geologist to see a new rock face. Here you can see an intrusive dyke cutting up through these volcanic ash tuffs. The dyke is then cut by a fualt toward the top of the photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant wait until they finish the new highway to get some of these trucks off the old highway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Monday of last week. The cab was in pretty good shape and the driver probably survived if he was wearing his seatbelt?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Thursday of last week. This guy passed me on a double yellow about 10 minutes before this happened. This Father Of The Year he had his whole family in the car on the Espinazo de Diablo and no one was wearing a seatbelt. He'll have some time to think about seat belts while he heals. He had a nasty looking compound fracture on his leg. Thankfully the kids didn't look too badly hurt. You can see from where the front bumper ended up that the car went from forward to reverse in a split second.
  16. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    That road truly is safer on a motorcycle than in a car. Looks like that dumbass was in the oncoming lane when he struck the truck. Good to see you out riding. Looks like Darwin's theories are proven with some regularity on that great road.
  17. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    +1. My thoughts as well.

Here's Mark883's recent vid of the Espinazo del Diablo.

Enjoy.
    <IFRAME src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5xm9jnXzPFU" frameBorder=0 width=560 height=315 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  18. jimmex

Oddometer:
    The ride down to Nayarit is all pavement?
  19. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Don't know about you, but I'm good to go for this route the day after Christmas. Will be leaving Dallas Christmas day and can pass through San Angelo on the way down.

Maybe SR can join in on some of the fun.
  20. jimmex

Oddometer:
    Bring electric vest. :jose