Durango to Mazatlan Highway

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by westnash, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    Yep. Did Loco Coyote in Glen Rose yesterday. Had the Gerbings heated liner cranked and heated grips on high. Wind chill was respectable.
  2. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Can you recommend a good mid-point to overnight? I'm thinking I might make this run after Christmas.
  3. Axel White

Axel White Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Where in the hell is there a double yellow on the EdD?
  4. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jim the new road from DGO to Nayarit is at least 90% paved. There is an approximately 20 km stretch south of Huazamota by the border of DGO and Nayarit that is not paved, but they were working on it last week so it is probably even less by now. This road was built to access the indigenous Huicol communities in the Sierra and even when it's paved wont be the fastest way from DGO to the coast, so I don't think it will ever see a lot of traffic and trucks like the Espinazo.

And yes it could get cold in late December but it might not be that bad, depending if there is a cold front or not. I think it is kind of fun when it is really cold at altitude to drop and feel the whether warm up as you get down to the coast. Right now we are having some of the coldest whether in years in DGO, it's way below freezing.

http://www.elsiglodedurango.com.mx/noticia/341048.frio-lastima-a-los-duranguenses.html

22 below zero Centigrade in Guenacevi.

Schizzman.

This road is kind of tough in that there really is not a great place to stay midway. These short winter days make it a little more of a challenge. From what I understand there is a hotel in Jesus Maria Nayarit that you could stay at if you absolutely had to, these ADV riders did.

http://journals.worldnomads.com/alpiner84/story/72555/USA/Week-eight-The-Sierra-Madre

Last weekend we left DGO at 8:00, had menudo and coffee and filled up gas an hour later in Mezquital, crossed the Sierra and got to Ruiz Nayarit around 6:00, which is when it gets dark. We could have stayed in Ruiz and I have, but it's a dump compared to San Blas. Even though it was dark, we forged on to San Blas. It was about another hour in the dark with 30 km on a toll road and 30 km on a windy road down to the coast. Not too bad.

Let me know if you need any company.

SR
  5. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Dave on the GS12

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Dan "Lunatic" on the DR

[​IMG]
    Road winding up the mountain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I dont know why Dave is always on the wrong side of the road. He wouldnt last long on the Espinazo!

[​IMG]
    Typical Scenery. No where else on earth is there so much volcanic rock. There is an active volcano far in the distance venting gas. This might be the I am not sure what valcano this is, maybe Ceburoco or maybe el Volcan de Colima?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Unpaved Stretch

[​IMG]
    Indita

More: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603538

This road is so new that it doesn't appear on Gui Roji. If anyone needs a GPS track let me know. Actually, it's not that complicated because once you get on it, it's the only paved road around.

SR
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    i meet dave in sayulita.
    he was chillin out with quinn from canada on a xrl
    i told them about hostel loilita and they spent the night.
    and latter that they were out w/ fletch http://www.wheresfletch.com/
    @ fish taco and enjoying many tequilas.

i'd like track, please.

any word on when the new dgo-maz toll road might open?
    i want to go up this road and back down edd.

thnx

7. bajarider

bajarider Mexican with internet

Oddometer:
    Mexicali, Baja Cfa., Mexico, Calexico,CA. US
    Hi guys, always want to ride that part of the country. So, I got some questions:
    -How many miles and hours take the ride from Mazatlan to Durango ?
    - Same question but from Durango to Nayarit.
    -Last one is, When will be finish the new highway?

Some trip planing here from Mexicali -La Paz , Mazatlan, Durango, Chihuahua, Big Bend , NM, AZ, Home again.

Thanks.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    SR would know.
    maz-dgo on the edd is 1 day ride.
    sounds like the new dgo-nayarit is a 2 day ride.
    sounds like an awesome loop, especially when the new maz-dgo road is open and the edd is truck free.
  9. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    They have been saying the new road will be done in three more years for the last ten years, but now they are saying November of 2012. I think this might be accurate? From what I have seen they are investing a lot of $, working hard and are making a lot of progress. There are already 2 stretches open from Dgo to El Salto. They each cost about 40 pesos?

Bill, the last time I tried, I couldn't figure out how to attach a file through the ADV Rider PM system. Send me a PM with your regular e-mail address and I will send you the GPS track that I have. My GPS track is about 1.5 years old now and has some deviations due to road construction detours at the time but it should get you there.
  10. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    -It is about 320 km from Maz to Dgo. It takes about 6 hours maybe a little less if you are really hauling on a bike.

Sunday is the best day to go, less truck traffic.

Dont forget to stop in Copala to see the little plaza historico and have some banana cream pie at Daniels Restaurant!

-DGO to Nayarit is 12 hours, see post 122 for more detail.

-I think the new highway will be done around the end of next year (2012). See the post above for more detail.

-On another note, they are also currently paving the road from Culiacan SIN to DGO through, Topia and Santiago Papsquiaro. I have not done all of the route yet and am looking for some exploradores y adventureros to join me! That area should have some extremely spectacular scenery and topography. Google Earth it. Who's in?

Hecha mi un grito quando llegues en DGO.

Saludos

SR
  11. bajarider

bajarider Mexican with internet

Oddometer:
    Mexicali, Baja Cfa., Mexico, Calexico,CA. US
    Gracias por la informacion SR, remember president Calderon period finish in December 1st, so new Highway must be done in November for inauguration.:clap

Bajarider
  12. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    here's SR gpx of the ride

Attached Files:

13. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Its like moto Disney Land down there and it just keeps getting better.
  14. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    It's calling to you, isn't it?
  15. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:

Durango really is a ADV Riders Disneyland! I know other parts of Mexico have their attractions but Durango is a very big sparsely populated state with lots of very long windy mountain roads, both paved and dirt, hardly any other vehicles and lots of amazing scenery. Perfect for riding.

Geez, what more can you ask for?:clap
  17. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    A high-paying job in Durango??
  18. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know that my collection of photos of crashes on the Dgo-Mazatlan highway is kind of creapy, but so far I don't think I have actually seen a deadly accident. Well maybe one, I am not sure? If someone actually dies for sure, I'll have some taste and not post it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This guy is not doing too bad, you can see his smoke stack is kind of bent.

That Federal de Caminos is yelling at me, no photos and get the chingada out of here, and he is right! Okay Okay Voy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On a lighter note. Nothing better than gorditas and atole with a view on a crisp January afternoon!
  19. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're giving me the idea for a reality TV show: Haul (Ass) Road: Espinazo :lol3
  20. SkizzMan

Oddometer:
    Subtitled: Scraping By On The Free Roads