Dust 2 Dawson 2014

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by The Dick, Sep 10, 2013.

1. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    If your leaving Dawson Thursday please be careful if your going over the top of the world highway. You will find lots of motorcycle traffic heading the other way.

Enjoy your ride. Sorry you'll miss all the fun of D2D.
  2. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Yep, I was thinking his arm's gonna get mighty tired waving at the multitude headed into Dawson!

Have fun, Mark H.
  3. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    We should get all east bound traffic banned on Thursday.
  4. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    Why I love to get in at least a day earlier. That way I see all the tired, dirty folk show up while sitting out with a drink. I may have to that this year.
  5. YetiHunter

YetiHunter 2 Wheels & Flyrod

Oddometer:
    Lookin' forward to my first Dust to Dawson this year. Leaving from Vancouver BC and giving myself a nice easy 5 days to get there. Have some family coming from Saskatchwan who I will meet there and ride back with.

Hope to meet some of you when I am there.
  6. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Hello and welcome ADV "Super n00b" YetiHunter.

If you fill your profile out more we better know ya when you get to Dawson. :wink:

You and your family might also want to sign up here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=928390 just for a rough idea of how many are coming. No biggie as it's mostly all just for fun.

See you in a few months, Mark H.
  7. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Just starting to dig my gear out and I'm wondering if I will need to pack a water filter or will drinking water be easy enough to find ? I am planning on camping a couple nights on the way
    will I find established campgrounds on the Cassier or is it more common to just use a wide spot in road and pull off into the bushes?
    Not knowing how much free time I'll have but what are the fishing regs./costs for a non-resident?
  8. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    BELL II on the Cassier has camping in the rear with their small RV area, 6 camp site IIRC, excellent services! It was $24 per night IIRC, worth it.....imho....Plenty of bears etc all the way up the cassier along with plenty of other 4 legged crtters.....beware. Keep your eyes open. I nearly became a dingle berry on a cow moose!!!
    As for fishing, not sure I would unless you do have you paperwork......if anything like Ontario, you may have to walk home after they confiscate your ride etc. We had paperwork I think...lol.
  9. 01001010 01000011

01001010 01000011 AKA-JC

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info.
    Yes fishing was a stretch I do not really think there will be time for it.
    I am planning on purchasing a new MilePost in March but
    was wondering if someone could post a list of the common camp areas on the Cassier,
    also between Whitehorse and Dawson or is that normally a day ride? Google lists it as
    only 330mi but 8hours.
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    Get a Milepost.
  11. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    There are places to camp, but most people ride it easily in one day. With some site seeing. There are several little towns between Whitehorse and Dawson.
  12. Nanuq

Nanuq Aventurer by Trade

Oddometer:
    Point Hope, Sitka & Biorka Island- all in Alaska
    I usually just carry a water bladder and I fill it up at the stations when I fill up the bike. I never feel like I run out of water on the Alcan or the Cassiar. You should be fine. I guess it depends on your camping /riding style. Mine is to ride as much as possible- I don't like to spend less than 24 hours traveling the Cassiar with a visit to Hyder. But that was back when the roAds weren't paved. I'm a mile eater. If you plan to stretch it out just plan accordingly.
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, make sure you go to Stewart and Hyder and then up to Salmon Glacier, a definate not to miss spot! Then a very nice ride id turn west at Dease Lake towards Telegraph Creek.....a small grand canyon so to speak.....well worth the time it takes......some very nice twisties and switch backs.
    Just outside Whitehorse on the side of the road there is a nice campground on a river, sorry names escape me at the moment, good facilities, small, no RV's and a few cabins and trailer.......has a resturant take out with eat in area. Damn!...lol
    I found the Milepost was great but don't carry the entire thing unless you have the space etc.....good reading on a rainy night I guess?
    :deal
  14. Spousal Unit

Spousal Unit Concubine

Oddometer:
    high Country campground located on corner of ALCAN and ? In Whitehorse has a nice campground, if you miss it continue on through Whitehorse and take the right toward Braeburn and Dawson, watch for signs for Takahini Hot Springs, road is on the left, follow til it deadends in the hot springs parking lot, camp sites with a soak in hot springs are included. Restaurant on site as well.

Never had any problems finding water, food, or fuel, but always wise to carry some water and munches. In BC it is fairly easy to travel by bakery! :clap
  15. DempsterResearch

DempsterResearch Researcher

Oddometer:
    Hi Folks,

Sorry for the off-topic for a second. I talked to The Dick and he is okay with this :clap

I am a tourism researcher for the Government of Northwest Territories. I'm working the Dempster Adventure Motorcycle Project. The aim of this research project is to better understand Dempster Highway adventure motorcycle riders and the services, products and infrastructural improvements that are needed to enhance or support this experience.

The project has two phases, we are currently doing the first one. I'm looking to talk to people who recently rode the Dempster...

You can find more info here:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=953894

Sorry for the offtopic. Back to D2D.
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dempster you have a PM
  17. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Noob here, please bear with me while I struggle through this...

Ok, so I'm committed, or should be as I've been frequently told!:nod

Signed up for D2D, hope to get there a couple days early. Lodging, camping
    still to be decided.

The other day I asked my wife how long I should plan to be away on this ride…

She said I should take all the time I need… God I love that woman!:crash

So here's the very loose plan:

Note: Any been there was in a cage.

I'll leave SW FL in May or early June and head quickly to NW NM then
    up into CO where I'll visit friends in Denver and Frisco. (been there)

I'll poke around CO for a while and probably have to wait for the return to get
    into any high altitude stuff.

Possible little bit of NE UT/SW WY
    Jackson Hole (been there) from either the W or S
    Yellowstone (been there) but only if I can hit it very early AM and get out
    Chief Joseph (been there) but in '74 was all mud and was Dead Indian Pass
    Beartooth Hwy (been there)
    Glacier Nat'l. Pk. but will probably have to be on return due to road open dates
    Icefields Parkway
    Bighorn Hwy.
    Possible Deh Cho Rt. to Yellowknife and back to BC
    Campbell to Klondike to Dawson City for D2D
    Dempster if possible either before or after
    TOW w/side trip to Eagle
    Dalton eventually, see below

Also hoping to shake the hand of Alcan Rider and thank him in person for all
    the great ride reports and pics in here! Jack you're a better resource than my
    Milepost and all the vacation guides that came in the mail!:bow

Oh ya, the rest of you folks are OK too!:wave

I'll be at my sons house in Eagle River for several weeks and poking around
    places I haven't been to in my 7 vacations up there. Always did a fly into ANC and rented RV or stayed with son. Wife will fly up for a few weeks.

Return S by Cassiar etc.
    See/go where I want on return trip
  18. fasteddiecopeman

fasteddiecopeman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've camped at the Kinaskan Lake BC Provincial campground (within a days ride from the south end) a few times, as well as Boya Lake BC Provincial campground (90 miles south of Watson Lake).

There're also campgrounds at Bell 11, Dease Lake, Telegraph Creek, Stewart, Hyder, the Junction between the Cassiar and the road to Stewart, and some others.

Watson Lake, on the other hand.... Not a lot of camping there now. One just at the junction of 37 and the Alcan, another a bit east (territorial, but I don't recommend it...).

Between Whitehorse and Dawson I can recommend the Takini Hot Springs just north, and an easy ride to Dawson.

Have fun.:clap