Dusty Butt 2021

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by KiwiPewe, Aug 27, 2020.

1. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brb
    Mc107 likes this.
  2. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh....But they do....
    Mc107 likes this.
  3. Muzz67

Muzz67 Unadventurous

Oddometer:
    Dont beat yerself up ,, your mates are doin that for ya!
    innathyzit, KiwiPewe and Mc107 like this.
  4. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    That long version should really be put to the panel to judge..
    Mc107 likes this.
  5. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Aah bugger, missed out on registering.
  6. Mc107

Mc107 Underwear sniffer

Oddometer:
    Ah fuck
  7. KiwiHayd

KiwiHayd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Im heading down to the Dusty and riding a husky FE501 from Palmy North down and back up.

I want to ask opinions on tyres, as i was either thinking of the D606/MT21 combo or trying Motoz Desert HT or Rallz which would easily last longer than a D606 or MT21.

Ive never used the Desert HT, only the Adv and Rallz versions of the Motoz hoops.

Im also wondering if the Rallz might be better suited being less aggressive vs the desert ht as so much of my ride there and back is tarmac.

Cheers for any advice
  8. EVLED

EVLED Bike riding nutter!

Oddometer:
    I put Desert H/T's on my WR250R for last year's Dusty. They handled everything that they needed to. They have around 3,300km on them now. The rear is definitely showing a bit of wear (still fine for gravel on the 250) but the front looks mint.

The 250 went down on the back of my ute (thank goodness!) so they didn't get all that highway use but I definitely do ride a bit of local seal to get to the closer fun zones...

No experience with the other options you're looking at sorry.
    KiwiHayd likes this.
  9. Takataka

Takataka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've used the HTs a lot on my old 690 and now have them on the 500. They do last well and I have 3000km now on one which has been shown no mercy. I'll get about another 1000km out of it I reckon. They're noisy though so would be annoying without ear plugs.
    Grip wise it seems a bit less suited to the lighter bike but I think pressures could be a contributor there. They're a solid tire and need quite low pressures to work their best off road.
    KiwiHayd and EVLED like this.
  10. Mc107

Mc107 Underwear sniffer

Oddometer:

I did my first Dusty on MT21 front and rear on my WR450 and had no issues, I then did my second on Desert HT's front and rear and found them to be better but was kind of disappointed how the rear wore down .
    I personally found the rear wore down as quick as the MT21 which I hoped it would last longer.

This year I have the same Desert HT front and I'm trying a Motoz RallyZ on the rear.
    It doesn't offer much lateral grip but that's how I like to ride , I've often been told by @KiwiPewe that no one like riding behind you because you ride like a 16 year old kicking up stones and dust
    KiwiHayd likes this.
  11. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the term I used was 'ham-fisted hooligan' :deal
    On the tyre question: I used a Golden tyre 723 fatty on the rear and a 233 on the front on my Husky 701. Good tyres, especially the front impressed how it could climb out of ruts.
    Only niggle I had that after the last DB the rear started leaking air out of the carcass ( I ran Tubliss for the first time on that one). Got replaced under warranty but if that had happened during the DB, I would have had to put a tube.
    Also worth noting is that the 233 isn't DOT approved if that matters to you.
    HTH
    KiwiHayd likes this.
  12. Takataka

Oddometer:
    The Goldentire certainly gets serious traction on your wallet.
    I liked the 723 front that was on the 500 when I bought it but it started to spit knobs off the sides. Might try the fatty front next.
    KiwiHayd likes this.
  13. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    I ran rallz rear and d606 front on last years db on my SWM. Was a great combination. Rallz was super impressive and the best wearing tyre I have ever run on a dustybutt. D606 was good too, but I was fighting a big split from the first day, so pressures were all over the show.
    I have a love hate affair with my front desert ht, noisy pressure sensitive pos just wont wear out.
  14. KiwiHayd

KiwiHayd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks heaps for all the advice and comments.

Ive loved the 140 Rallz rear on my 690, Nd also on the front of my last 990.

There doesn't seem to be any 140 Rallz left in stock, only the 120/90/18. Is a 90 much taller than a 80, and what size would suit a 500exc/501fe the best??

Think i want to go Rallz rear and maybe HT front, i also used the Metzler MC360 mid/hard front on my 690 which i liked, it was surprisingly good onroad and they seem to wear pretty good.

Im just wanting long lasting and durable tyres to last the whole trip which will be around 3500kms ish
    innathyzit likes this.
  15. KiwiHayd

KiwiHayd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Me again. Just starting to look into what Android App ill use for route navigation on the Dusty Butt.

Ive currently got the pro versions of NZ Topo Maps and Back Country Navigator Pro.

Im assuming we get given a .GPX File of the route, im not sure what app is best suited for this.

Any advice is appreciated as always.

Cheers
  16. stevecollie

stevecollie Desert Racer

Oddometer:
    Any other riders heading south from Auckland for the DB?
    KiwiHayd likes this.
  17. Mc107

Mc107 Underwear sniffer

Oddometer:
    Yes mate they'll email the gpx files shortly before.
    I use GPX Viewer pro its been faultless
  18. RP67

RP67 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does the pro version of GPX viewer has offline map option? I tried it earlier, and I couldn't figure out how to make it work offline. I ended up with NZ topo maps, it does the trick even though its a bit bulky.
  19. Mc107

Mc107 Underwear sniffer

Oddometer:
    Yes it does have offline I've been riding around this week with every bar the GPS off on my phone and it works perfect
  20. Takataka

Oddometer:
    I used Backcountry Navigator pro and it worked very well.
    Here is a link to download the entire south island map which you can use in the app.

When we were sent the GPX file it was a single file with all 3 days tracks included. I used a program on my laptop to break it into 3 separate files (one for each day) to make it less confusing to read while riding.