Duty

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mikegc, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the way you think!:D

Mike
  2. SelfPropelledDevo

SelfPropelledDevo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    outstanding
  3. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, SelfPropelledDevo. By the way, what regimental crest is that?

Mike
  4. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump for a great read about duty and serving. Thanks, Mike.
  5. mikegc

Oddometer:
    I'd like to post an addendum to this now seven year-old thread if the moderators will allow. Back in February, I received a call from my former commanding officer's daughter. She informed me of Mike's death. The vibrant 74 year-old had been snowmobiling up near International Falls and, upon returning home, he carefully backed his snow machine and Ford pick-up into his heated garage/workshop. Walking to the home some fifty yards away, my friend slipped and hit his head on a landscaping rock rendering him unconscious. He wasn't found until the next morning after being exposed to the elements all night. The temperature had fallen to somewhere around -20˚. He was rushed to the hospital where his nose was amputated almost immediately. Later, the decision was made to take his hands and feet but, thankfully, he slipped away before that procedure.

I had to go to the funeral . . . . you know, duty. The service was fitting for a career military man. One of his former ROTC cadets gave the eulogy and his honor guard consisted of around 50 of his former cadets who were now field grade officers. As his remains passed, I rendered my final salute to a fine soldier and good friend. After the service, I returned to the Twin Cities airport and flew back to North Carolina. When I got home late that night, I noticed my wife had placed my mail where I was sure to see it. There was a box with an unknown return address among the bills and I thought it was some forgotten motorcycle parts. When I opened it, though, I had to smile a bit. My former lieutenant had a mug fired and sent to me:

[​IMG]

What a fine way to return a salute. Godspeed, sir.

Mike
  6. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    No words but a solid appreciation with moist eyes and a big smile.

Wierdrider, bomose and mikegc like this.
  7. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    I am sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. As little as it means at this time please know a former Marine and current Peace Officer appreciate everything those who came before did for us.
    bomose, Uke and mikegc like this.
  8. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    So sorry to hear about your friend. We all owe him and all of you a debt of gratitude for what y'all did for us and our country. May Mike rest in peace.
    WRC51, mikegc and Uke like this.
  9. Redfish Hunter

Redfish Hunter Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike, I cannot express how much respect I have for you and your now deceased friend Mike. I will unashamedly admit that I cried like a child reading much of this thread, the Responses/Replies have overwhelmed me almost as much as the original Ride Report.

My father served in the Marine Corps, Mom was pregnant with me when he left. I was born while Dad was Over There. Dad will talk about weapons and equipment and people, but he will never talk about combat.

When I got my first Real Job at 18 I saved my first 3 paychecks and bought my Dad a Colt Gold Cup National Match .45. I did not have the money to have it engraved and it wears the checkered wooden grips with the gold Colt logo instead of fine ivory, but the sentiment was much the same.

Pop does not say much about That Time but his license plate on the FJR says all that needs to be said:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pop's days of crawling through the jungle with an M16 or firing the M2 out the door of a Chinook are long behind him, the enemies of yesterday have faded away but the Strength is still in him and I still respect what he had to do in a land far away and a time long ago.

I respect you too.
    Wierdrider, ShimrMoon, mikegc and 2 others like this.
  10. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Mike.......................
    Unable to come up with the right words right now.

"Good Night Chesty Puller - wherever you are"
  11. Uke

Oddometer:
    edited for going off topic.

Whether Bunker or Breed's Hills or Yorktown, or the conflicts in Iraq or Afghanistan, and every conflict in-between, whether a man or woman wore the uniform in combat or in support, with the deepest respect I recall the last words of the Declaration of Independence: " . . . we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor."

Never having worn the uniform of our republic, I'll never know the fullness of that pledge. I've seen it, I've benefited from it, I appreciate it, and I am profoundly grateful for it. It is because many have worn the uniform and made that pledge, I live in freedom. I have faith in the USA. I believe we will not merely endure, we will prevail.

Redfish Hunter, don't sweat the small stuff, I'll bet every paycheck I've ever received your father cherished not the Colt Gold Cup .45, but the love and respect with which it was given.

Respect says it all.

Wierdrider, Trixie, bomose and 2 others like this.
  12. arizona rick

Oddometer:
    I also cried..... but it was because I didnt get a 1911.... :-)

I
    I have some sand from Iwo and some dirt from the wheat field of Belleau Wood if you want some for your father send me your address. It wont mean much to my grandkids soon, those are names of places our children are forgetting.
  13. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Rick, that's a most appreciated and generous offer. My dad served in the South Pacific as a medic with the 1st Cavalry Division. He slipped away 2014. I have a little display of his war memorabilia on display in an old glass case and, whenever my grandsons visit, they head straight to that case to look at the contents. Your grandkids might just surprise you when you tell them what happened on that hallowed ground.

Rick, Jeff, Steve, Andrew and David, gentlemen, thank you for your kind responses. They were most appreciated you should know I've forwarded them to Mike's son and daughter.

Mike
  14. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Redfish Hunter and mikegc like this.
  15. arizona rick

Oddometer:
    Just checking in. How are you?
  16. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Good morning, Rick! I'm hanging in there, thank you. I've got the bike prepped and ready to head out to the Pacific NW for a month or so. I leave Monday morning but I think my wife wishes it was today.:D

Mike
    bomose, Uke and black 8 like this.
  17. Uke

Oddometer:
    Ride safely, Mike.

Do you plan to go further north to survey this year's crop of moskies in the 49th state?

18. mikegc

Oddometer:
    No, Uke, I'm just touring the Pacific NW. My wing man on the '16 Alaska trip is going with me. We'll meet some folks in Bozeman with whom we've shared a lot of miles and smiles with for a Montana/ID/ WY tour. After that, we're heading west for a couple of weeks.

Mike
  19. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a good, safe trip, Mike. At least you should be ahead of the smoke from fires that usually occur later in the summer.
    mikegc likes this.
  20. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Bomose! You've been posting some fine photos of late. Are you still on the road?

Mike