Duty

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mikegc, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. We're home now, although taking some rides around the South.
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I'm sure you had a good trip. You seem to have that skill set down pat! Safe travels this summer!

Mike
    kiwial and bomose like this.
  3. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike.

Thanks for mentioning this post to me. I am very sorry for the loss of your friend and brother in arms. I did thoroughly enjoyed reading the story. That was a beautiful job they did on the 1911 and it looked like it was very proud of receiving it. I was fortunate enough to be trained as a Scout and serve in the Scout platoon in CSC 1st Bn 6th Inf 1st AD and spent some time on the Czech border doing surveillance of the border while attached to 1/1 Cav. We would spend a week doing nighttime patrols on the border during the Cold war. I was mentored by many Scouts who served during the Vietnam war starting with our Drill Sergeants and on through at my duty station. It was a real privilege to work and learn from them. Great men, great teachers, every one of them.

KR
    Uke, Wierdrider, mikegc and 1 other person like this.
  4. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Sarge. I appreciate the kind words. You served with a proud and storied unit and it sounds like you made a lot of friends. Those relationships tend to age well and, even though you don't get to see them often, you know they still have your back whenever the situation warrants. I miss the friends I made during the time when courage and character meant so much. I'm the last of our old team.

Thank you for manning the wall while we slept.

Mike
    Uke and Redfish Hunter like this.
  5. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uke and mikegc like this.
  6. mikegc

Oddometer:
    bomose likes this.
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know how I missed this ride report Mike, but wow!Like so many others have shared, thank you for sharing part of your life and the ripple effect of your actions from 42 years ago is immeasurable. Look at the impact you had on many of those children! I have the utmost respect for you sir.

V/r,

Eric
    Wierdrider, bomose, Uke and 1 other person like this.
  8. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Eric. Many of the people I met in Vietnam taught me a lot. One of my biggest fears is that I would let them down. I think that is possibly a universal feeling all soldiers share. My experiences there and the "ripple effect" you mentioned have been most rewarding and helped me make sense of it all. I really appreciate your kind words and am humbled by them.

Mike
    Wierdrider and The Virginian like this.
  9. Uke

Uke visualist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The underlying essential premise of "Saving Pvt. Ryan."

Duty, Honor, Country
    mikegc, bomose and The Virginian like this.
  10. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bump for Veteran's Day. This thread has not only Mike's story , but stories of other great veterans who are here on ADV rider. Thanks for your story , Mike, and also the book you sent me. And thanks for your service.
    David
  11. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike,

We traded many thoughts about the GS over the years, but this is the first time I have seen this. I have to say that I was very touched with your ride, and your history. While your story is in some way unique, so are pretty much the stories of all Veterans. I truly appreciate the sacrifices made by our Veterans, especially combat Vets.

While I never served in combat, USAF 82-88, I still feel a bit of kindred spirit with those who did!

Thanks for sharing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ADV Salute, before ADV existed. :-)
    [​IMG]
    Wierdrider, Uke, Phoenix101 and 2 others like this.
  12. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Yes, sir, Jim, we've definitely shared a few thoughts and I look forward to continuing! Thank you for your compliment, "While your story is in some way unique, so are pretty much the stories of all Veterans." I couldn't agree more! You should "feel a bit of kindred spirit" with other service members as you took the same oath we all did and you wore the uniform. Thank you for serving! I especially liked your last photo with the AdvRider salute!:lol3

Mike
    Wierdrider, Uke and JimVonBaden like this.
  13. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mike if this is a hijack of your thread let me know and I will nuke this post.

Cav Recon...home station Bamberg? or were you further South? You scout guys and the guys assigned to the cav were a rough bunch when you came back to base (1974-76 I was there)... says this 501st MP... I got my bell rang more than once breaking up fights... and what we referred to as "arms room junkers" were actually pretty good 45s. When we had access to the arms room we would mix parts to get the 45 we carried as tight as possible... I easily shot expert with mine with ball ammunition.

upload_2019-11-18_16-57-21.png

been here (it still amazes me the walls, wires, mines, etc. are now all gone)

upload_2019-11-18_17-5-39.png

we are now old guys and we too get together every couple of years to tell lies and relive our youth... (I have the hat on).. this picture was taken in San Antonio and this Fall we had another get together in Upper MI (great excuse for my wife and I to ride to the Lake Superior area on our BMWs)

upload_2019-11-18_17-2-18.png

Attached Files:

Wierdrider, Uke, mikegc and 3 others like this.
  14. CavReconSGT

CavReconSGT Just the right amount of evil.

Oddometer:

I was stationed a little further south in a town called Illeshiem assigned to Scout platoon CSC 1st Bn 6th Infantry. I was there '77 to '80. I can't remember where I was stationed when attached to 1/1 Cav I think it was Camp Hof but I'm not even sure if that was the correct name. I would do patrols on the Czech border when attached to 1/1 Cav. I have wondered what those sites I use to spend time on look like now. I was shocked when the wall came down. Absolutely shocked. Pleasure meeting you. I remember 501st MP I think. Out of Ansbach? Is that correct or were you guys scattered everywhere?

KR
  15. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We were scattered like the division was. Ansbach was the division headquarters and there were two platoons of 501st MPs plus a company or two from the 793 MP Battalion. I spent about 1/2 year in Ansbach as I was the enlisted aid to the Provost Marshal (read that as his driver and security).. LOVED THE JOB!!! He traveled all over to meet with different Polizei or the German guys that watched the border (have forgotten what they were called)... and of course to other areas including Illeshiem (I remember Illeshiem as a very quiet area). When I was assigned to the Provost Marshal no one messed with me, I always had a police car (about a two year old AMC... LOL) assigned to me, and when I was traveling with the PM I stayed at the BOQ (bachelor officer quarters) and was always armed, in uniform or not. I would have done that job the whole time I was in West Germany except the army was downsizing and the PM was Active Reserve and they ordered him to inactive status. He said I could stay and work for the new PM or he would assign me anywhere in West Germany. I knew at that time Heidelberg and Bamberg had the highest crime rates... I wanted to go to Bamberg (there were riots, robberies, rapes, a couple of murders) it was what an 18 year me wanted to do... In Bamberg there was one platoon from the 501st Company and Company C of the 793rd Battalion. When all of the troops were home, there was about 10K troops..plus an occasional roaming Soviet.. we worked on and off base, our area of responsibility was huge.. we also had temporary duty to Graf and Honsfeld to supplement the MPs there.
  16. mikegc

Oddometer:
    It's no hijack at all! I appreciate both contributions: this one and the one back in the '70s.

Mike
    CavReconSGT, Phoenix101 and Uke like this.
  17. Trixie

Trixie Adventurer in my own mind

Oddometer:
    The best treasures are those found by accident. What a gem of a thread! My sincere thanks to Mike and all who have served. And if it's not yet been said, welcome home!
    Wierdrider, JB2, Uke and 3 others like this.
  18. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll chime in here about my time in Germany 1960--1967.
    First assigned to the 68th armor in Kitzingen, arrived as an E-1 , supposed to be a wheeled vehicle mechanic. Motor pool Sgt said he had no openings for a mechanic. First Sgt, waived his magic hand and made me a tanker . ( no idea or knowledge about a tank) spent time learning my way around old M48 WW11 tanks. Then we got the new M60's , wow what a difference.
    The 68th rotated back to the states and we became the 64th Armor, and moved to Schweinfurt. Did a lot of border duty , we got all nervous when the Cuban missile crisis came along.
    Then the Berlin wall , President Kennedy's assassination , very scary times for a young kid.
    Got out in 1967
    CavReconSGT, Wierdrider, Uke and 3 others like this.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I concur with DandyDoug. I just stumbled onto this, by accident and found myself glued to the screen for duration of the read. I came from a military family but I did not serve. My dad was a Navy veteran of the Korean War. My Grandfathers both served in WW2. I remember as a kid Dad getting very fumed at the protests that were being televised on the news during the Vietnam War. When we had our introduction to high school the graduating seniors(boys) were signing up for the draft. By the time I graduated the war had ended and the draft was stopped.

As I was reading mikegc's ride report I noticed he went past the very place where Dad was killed in a motorcycle crash by a kid on the run from the law. Its on 28 heading towards Deal's Gap. It was a gut-wrenching time for our family but the folks of Franklin, NC came to the emotional/legal aid of our family and took us in as one of their own. In the following years we had several memorial rides for Dad where I met one of the toughest men I have ever met. His name was Nathan B Henry. He was a POW from 1967 until 1973.

Nat was a close friend of the gentleman who came upon Dad's crash and waited for me at the hospital, Mike Breedlove. Mike introduced me to Nat at one of the first rides we had for Dad. Nat was obviously crippled but full of life and love of his fellow man. He quizzed me a lot about Dad and always gave me the respect he said my father deserved. I knew that he was a veteran but at that point didn't know much else.

We got an invite one year from Nat and his wife Becky to join them at their July 4th party. Words fail. We arrived and as I pulled in I noticed his car carried a vanity plate that read "VIETNAM POW". Our group of riders were then introduced to a dozen other POW's who were there to celebrate the 4th with Nat. I can't properly describe the stories told that evening but we witnessed "brothers-in-arms" at a level unknown to most. Late in the evening, after most everyone was gone, Nat invited us into "his room" where he broke out the blood stained jumpsuit he wore while in captivity and some other tokens of his 6 years as a POW... and his Silver Star... and the stories. We were humbled in his presence.

I think our school systems do our country a great dis-service by not teaching these stories in school anymore. Godspeed Nat.

Nat's story as written in the publication "WE CAME HOME" copyright 1977: https://www.pownetwork.org/bios/h/h104.htm

"Staff Sergeant Nathan B. Henry distinguished himself by gallantry and intrepidity in action as a Prisoner of War in connection with military operations against an opposing armed force in Southeast Asia on 6 November 1967. With profound courage and a strong conviction in the Code of Conduct he escaped from an enemy prisoner of war camp, knowing that the odds for success were slight and that if recaptured he would receive torture and long periods in solitary confinement. The success of his escape was short lived, and he was recaptured and punished. This soldier's actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military services and reflected great credit on himself and the United States Army."

Many thanks and much respect for all veterans!
    CavReconSGT, Wierdrider, Uke and 5 others like this.