Duty

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mikegc, Jul 29, 2011.

1. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that, JB. It was one thing to protest the war, but what always got to me was the protesting and deriding of the serviceman. They went there and did their duty because their country called. Many were drafted, but still went even though they didn't think the war was right. It wasn't the serviceman who started the war, but the politicians. We can disagree with policies, but don't shun and spit on the ones who did their duty for their country. I do have a friend that that happened to, but I bet the guy never did it again after he was taken down. It's a real idiot who spits on a combat Marine.
    Luna Tique, Uke, CavReconSGT and 5 others like this.
  2. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    JB, your story is as humbling as it is amazing. Your father instilled character in you before he left this world and all who read this thread can tell you're paying your "debt" to him quite well. He's proud of you. I cannot imagine what SSG Henry went through and, reading between the lines, I understand your reverence for him. It's an honor to know men like that.

Thank you for sharing this, sir.

Mike
    CavReconSGT, Wierdrider, Uke and 2 others like this.
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Mike, Thanks for your service and telling your story. Glad it got bumped up or I would have never found it. Your story reminded me of the night with Nat and his fellow POW's. Our group sat in amazement as we listened to their stories. Lots of laughs, lots of tears. All we could do was watch and listen. I understood beforehand the price off freedom is paid in the blood of soldiers. But when we left that evening we knew we had been privileged to get a deeper understanding of it all. Nat has his own memorial in downtown Franklin. He was truly a hero... as are all veterans and enlisted military. Thanks.
  4. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike, thank you for sharing your story, and for your service! Much Much thanks and respect to all the service members on this forum who have responded, and to all the service members that continue to serve.This thread has given me a new insight to war, and to all of you that have served, and continue to serve! After reading this entire thread this evening, I just don’t feel like I can come up with the words to give all of you the thanks that you all deserve.
    WELCOME HOME, to the ones that have served, and COME HOME SAFE to those that are serving!
    With RESPECT,
    Jim
    CO-or-bust, JB2, TM1(SS) and 4 others like this.
  5. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Jim, thank you, sir, for this thoughtful response. When I took the trip to see my former commanding officer, I had no idea of the responses I'd get. Frankly, I was a bit surprised the moderators allowed it. Since then, you wouldn't believe some of the personal messages I've received. I wish I could share some of them but I wouldn't dare as some are most personal. I will share a contact from a camera forum I received recently. This forum is for Leica camera users and they have a thread where you can post old photos that were taken with that brand. I posted several photos I took at the An Lac orphanage and received some very nice responses. One was from a young lady named Julie and she said she thought her father was one in one of my photos. She was pretty sure he was the little boy on the right so she she sent a recent photo of him:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't think there's much doubt that she was right. She asked if she could get all of my photos from An Lac and, of course, I sent them to her, printed and digitally. She called and said her dad remembered that tile floor and was very happy to get the photos.

Not too long ago, a gentleman named Martin Tucker published a book entitled Vietnam Photographs From North Carolina Veterans and I was most privileged that he included some of my photos. Each photo in the book is captioned with the comments of those who took them. Naturally, I think it's pretty good.:D It does give insight about that time and has yielded some rather touching connections.

Again, thank you, Jim. Stay safe and healthy out in the Golden State.

Mike
  6. Wierdrider

Wierdrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I want and need to say something more, but I need to compose myself. But I’ll add right now... all of you service members have been there for all of us (me) who have been sleeping!
    I’ll never know what you all understand, but I do have a glimpse of it through the brotherhood of the motorcycle community! That has been a great feeling in my life.
    I would love to shake your hand and say thanks in person, but in this new strange world, it might just have to be an elbow bump!
    Jim
    :beer
    bomose, JB2, mikegc and 5 others like this.
  7. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please remember the fallen this Memorial Day.
  8. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Bomose, what a fine post! It sometimes seems Memorial Day is for cook-outs and celebrating the day the pool opens. Thank you for reminding us the real meaning of honoring our fallen. They're our real heroes.

Mike
    Uke, Wierdrider, JimVonBaden and 3 others like this.
  9. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Headed out this morning to visit the grave of my cousin PFC Paul Bradshaw (KIA Vietnam)... cemetery is in Leavenworth, WA. We will also visit Sgt. Leandro Jasso an Army Ranger killed in Afghanistan a few years back. He is also in Leavenworth at a different cemetery (hope we can find his grave). We will leave small US flags... and of course a penny
  10. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Spent the better part of an 1 1/2 looking for Sgt. Jasso gave and finally gave up. Since then I have been in contact with locals in the area and they are going to map out where his grave is within the cemetery so we will be able to visit it on our next trip (the area is a little over 200 miles away from our home).

Knew where this guy was as we have visited my cousin before.

upload_2020-5-25_10-37-19.png
    Uke, Wierdrider, mikegc and 3 others like this.
  11. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    one more thing... small town (less than 2000)... and over the years this town has a lot of veterans

upload_2020-5-25_10-41-44.png
    Uke, Wierdrider, mikegc and 3 others like this.