Duty

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by mikegc, Jul 29, 2011.

1. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you, James. I'm curious, were your friends who served in RVN Canadian citizens? You're quite correct that it was a significant time in US history. I am so glad our returning servicemen and women are treated with the respect they so richly deserve.

Here's a good one for you. Last weekend, there was a ceremony at a local veterans' memorial. This place is huge and, during its construction, I purchased bricks (for the fund raising campaign) in honor of my dad, father-in-law, brother-in-law and myself. They have our names on them and dates of service. It was completed two or three years ago and I'd never been there. Seemed like a good time to go. The local newspapers' announcement/invitation said, "Wear your uniforms, tattoos or whatever identifies you as a veteran." I dug out my old "boonie hat," jumped on my GSA and headed on over. When I got there, there was a $20 admission charge. I was about to dig out my wallet and a complete stranger looked at me and asked, "Nam?" "Yes, sir," I replied. The man paid for my admission. I thanked him, he nodded and disappeared. I stayed for a few minutes and paid for the next vet's admission.

Mike
    Wierdrider and JimVonBaden like this.
  2. Lollipop

Lollipop Gator Bait

Oddometer:
    Mike, this just keeps getting better. You know, for years now I have felt the urge to pay for meals for persons in uniform. Started out for service men and women, now with all the civil unrest I've expanded to any uniformed public servant, be it police, fire fighters, even EMS. Usually they never know who it was that paid as I deal with the waiter and ask to not be recognized. Sometimes it is obvious and the gratitude is overwhelming. I don't want any recognition, it's all about recognizing them and appreciating their service. I get really emotional reading this thread, even though I served in Vietnam, the appreciation for other service people just grabs me. Thanks again for starting this thread and especially for your service.
  3. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Lollipop. I've been rather amazed that this thread still has 'legs.' I've received several PMs about it, too, that have been most gratifying.

For many years, I flew (commercially) all over the US on business. Whenever I saw service members board, I would ask the flight attendant to give them a couple of drinks on me. I told her not to reveal my identity and just say, "It's from a fellow who was once a soldier." Sometime, the service members would stand up and wave at the entire plane-load of passengers, sometimes not. Anyway, I sure enjoyed doing that. It was just a little thing but it meant a lot to me that they had our backs.

Welcome home, 'pop.

Mike
    Wierdrider, JimVonBaden and Folly1 like this.
  4. woods wizard

woods wizard Trail Hound

Oddometer:
    This is one of the best. Thank you all for your selfless service. Hats off to you !
  5. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Woods Wizard, if I may speak for all who've posted on this thread, thank you for remembering us. I'm sure, on Memorial Day, you'll remember those who went before as they are the embodiment of "selfless service."

Mike
  6. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all the veterans. Remember the fallen this Memorial Day.
  7. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Bomose, you're back! Thank you for reminding all of us of the real meaning of Memorial Day! Also, thank you for the kind remarks you've made on this thread.

Mike
    bomose likes this.
  8. dannyleo

dannyleo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Boy. I am stunned. Been there and done that with several services, but never felt I'd been in the worst or done as much as the others. I've passed this to those who have, and with whom I have the honor of being allowed to ride with from time to time. Thank you Mike for your service.

My dad served, my son served and I'm retired. When my son said he was getting out after 7 years, I was kind of disappointed, but it was his decision. With the politics of how we employ our military and our best and brightest today, I can't hold it against anyone for deciding to get out. You have to do what you have to do.

I used to feel like I supported the draft and everyone should serve. I still kinda feel everyone should serve at least in some capacity for their country, but I remember how the slugs we had in the Marine Corps just drug everybody down and cost all the motivated Marines their time and energy to do the job over or to just put up with the bad attitude.

Now I've come around to the way of thinking that we taught in SERE, there are days when you will have to select between a bad choice and a worse choice, and you won't know which is which. What's important is that you make the decision, knowing you will have to look at yourself in the mirror everyday for the rest of your life. So make the decision and live with it and do your best the rest of your life.

I'd be honored to take a ride with you Mike, maybe even stand for a meal or breakfast at Pittsboro sometime where the central North Carolina riders seem to meet on good, warm Sundays. Small compensation for your sacrifices, but it would make me feel good knowing I did a little thing for someone who did a big thing for me.

Semper Fidelis and De Oppresso Liber
    Danny
    bomose likes this.
  9. Kampfire

Kampfire Trucky on two wheels

Oddometer:
    Thank you sir.
    For your service, for our Freedoms, and for showing a true brother your total appreciation of his friendship. He will NEVER forget your emotions in that gift.

I had a dear cousin that was more of a big brother to me and he served there. He was a little different and distant when he returned but we always kept in contact. Had a great reunion in '83 and shortly after he developed a strange cancer that took him in 89. His words resonate with me every now and again, like yours will.
    Thank you.
    Wierdrider likes this.
  10. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Danny & Jeff,

Thank you, gentlemen, for your kind comments. I hope you'll pardon my delayed response. I've been in Death Valley enjoying our favorite pastime and did have access to a computer. I just got to Phoenix and finally have my computer back!

Danny, thank you for staying at your post all of those years. All who've served know a bit about the sacrifices you and your family made in order to keep us safe. You were "always faithful" and we citizens appreciate all you did for us. I would be happy to meet with you in Pittsboro as that's just an hour, or so from High Point. Let's do that! The Carolina Brewery across from Lowe's is a great spot for lunch.

Jeff, Mike and I have a bond that will never be broken. We don't speak that often but we do communicate via text and e-mail several times a month. He was a great officer and I consider it a real blessing that we're friends today. Jeff, I'm honored to be included in the ranks with your cousin.

Once again, thank you, gentlemen. You've made my day!

Mike
    CavReconSGT and squidchief like this.
  11. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride

Oddometer:
    Just now saw the link in your sig line, Mike. Thanks a lot for sharing this, and thanks for your service.
  12. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Tor, and you're most welcome.

Mike
  13. LT Traveler

LT Traveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing read, thank you.
  14. txbear55

txbear55 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just now found this thread...what a tribute to our Nations Best! Dang allergies make my eyes water... Mike, thank you for your service and sacrifice!
  15. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just finished reading a good book about the battles in the Que Son Valley in 1967, " Road of 10,000 Pains". My Mother's 2nd cousin was commander of Mike 2/5 during some of those battles. I got to know him as a customer of mine. A finer man you'll never meet. It's a shame that much of the nation doesn't know or care what fine men fought for us over there. Just as good as all who fought for us in all the wars before. Thanks to all of you.
    Wierdrider likes this.
  16. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Thank you, sir.

I appreciate that, sir.

I'll check that book out, Bomose. I know that was a rough place for our Marines and it really got tough just before the Tet Offensive of 1968. Those guys really took a pounding from the NVA's best and held on. That battle prompted L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft to write on a C-ration box, "For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM ...has a flavor the protected shall never know." True words! It's probably a good thing they, the protected, don't know. Thanks, Bomose.

Mike
    Wierdrider, CavReconSGT and bomose like this.
  17. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Whew. Outstanding work, I'm grateful to have seen a small part of your life that you shared with us.

Duty. You and your brothers carry it.
  18. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    Thanks for going for us.
  19. mikegc

Oddometer:
    Gentlemen,

What a pleasant surprise. It's been a while since I've been contacted about this thread and I'm most appreciative that both of you took time to read it and, most importantly, replied. I really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Mike
  20. arizona rick

arizona rick Chases squirrels

Oddometer:
    No worries, what you did is appreciated. However feel free to bring me a 1911 whenever you want :p
    Redfish Hunter and mikegc like this.