DV in December Ride Planning thread

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KillerPriller, Nov 11, 2004.

1. CraigTransalp

CraigTransalp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since I haven't yet rode with you guys, 'm one rare rider where I can ride very technical trails, but prefer a scenic tour pace. I'm flexible to your pre-planning and adjustments along the way.
    The only detail I'll need to know if we are remote camping or staying in motel Saturday night? Cold weather would make my summer camping gear inadequate during the night. Good to fair weather I prefer to camp.
    Craig
  2. Gremlin9340

Gremlin9340 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be coming back from riding around the west that week. What sort of equip will I need. Fuel, Camping Gear Ect. I will be mainly CC Camping on my trip but would love to hook up with you guys down there. Test out the new crach bars OUCH! If someone puts together a plan please email me or call me.

Scott Davison

scott@theneighborhoodgroup.com or 1-877-ASK-SCOTT (Toll Free)

I'm riding my GS but feel pretty comfortable on the dirt and gravel abd hope this will work!!!
  3. pierce

pierce Ex Tourer

Oddometer:
    I'd say inside DV, all you'll need is a light 3-season 2-man tent, but I do recommend a 15F sleeping bag, it can get cold at night. Chances of rain are very slim, and very little when it does rain. A 'thermarest' pad for the ground. a small plastic ground cloth cut just big enough to go under your tent floor ...

I use a MSR Whisperlite multifuel, but sometimes I wish I'd gotten a butane instead (usually when I'm packing it back up and it smells of white gas :rofl). A 1 quart saucepan to boil some water, something to make coffee (1 cup filters work for me), a cup, a bowl, a spoon, and Mountain House freezedried food (Katmandu Curry, Chicken Santa Fe are both pretty good) and I'm good to go. Water, don't forget water. for DV in the winter, you want a 1/2 gallon a day at least, twice that in the summer. If you'll be places where you can get water, still carry at least 2 liters.

I always bring a folding chair, one of those sling/metalframe kinds you get at Kmart or whatever that fit in the 'quiver' bag, this ties across your back seat just fine. On an extended camping trip where there's no picnic tables, I might bring a small folding metal table (same thing, quiver bag across back seat, along with sleeping bag and tent).

Helen2Wheels straps make the best tiedowns for your gear (across said backseat).

When I'm loaded for a week on the road, I look like...

[​IMG]

hope y'all have fun... I'll be in DV in January w/ the DV Daze crew, but I won't be doing any offroading on my RS :cry
  4. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Well allrighty then. I'm up for either ride. Not so sure I'll have my new d/s bike by then. Getting some gloom-and-doom financial messages from the SO. Seems property taxes are due.

Meeting with the tax accountant Saturday AM, but I could make coffee Sunday.

Be afraid, Craig...

BillB
  5. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on riding the GS. I need the practice. And I figure to scope out the place for January, when I plan on camping.
  6. Gremlin9340

Gremlin9340 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How far is it and how will we handle gas?

Will my stock Tourences work or will I need my knobies?

Are we hotel or camping?

Where the hell is the place we will meet? :D I've never been to DV an it sounds freakin awesome.

Will someone carry extra tools or do I need my full Adventure kit? (I'm travelling for 4 days before this so I need to stay as light as possible)
  7. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I carry an old BMW super tool kit plus some extras. I also have one of those silly electric tire pumps. I have pitched all the little cylinders. I never used them on a bicycle and found I needed a handful to fill a tire to riding pressures anyway. By the time I get around to traveling agin, I'll have my patch kit replenished.

I'm thinking hoteling is the way to go. I'll have tourances if the front comes in by then.

I figure more details will float to the top by Monday.
  8. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    That implies that we'll be having coffee this weekend. When/where?

BillB
  9. Bill on bike

Bill on bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm up for a planning meet somewhere,but I'm riding Sunday for the day above the Ojai area past Pine Mountain, N2, Angeles Forest/Crest. A full day. I've got a Death Valley map from AAA and I can tell about Mengel Pass and Goler Wash.

Wanna get together Saturday???
  10. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I hear some planning will occur Sunday at Diedrich's Coffee on Beach Blve and Stark in Huntington Beach.
    Exit 405 on South bound Beach Blvd, (torward the beach), turn left at Stark, the second left on Beach, past the BJ's and the Chevron, on the corner. There is a Sports Challet there. the coffee shop is in the corner.
    Sometime early in the morning. They open at 7:00AM on the weekend...
  11. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KillerPriller is my boyfriend. You think MAYBE I would have heard about this by now but noooooo.

:(

<pouting>

Gawd daminit man - count your blessings that your girlfriend actually WANTS to go on motorcycle trips and in most cases can actually KEEP UP.

You might as well stop trying to ditch me because you're NOT getting rid of me that easily. :sweeti

-luv
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I guess we didn't get you into the distribution list...
    :rofl

I hear we need a pie chart :eek1
  13. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    oh dang, im in trouble. The jig is up guys.

nk
  14. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    So much for hookers and tattoos. :rofl :lol3
  15. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Clearly, Nick does not know what a great girl he has in you, Luv. So, I've arranged an intervention. Dr. Phil will be joining us Sunday to help straighten Nick out. If Dr. Phil does not work out, we'll keep Papa Papavero in the wings--I think he is "connected." Somehow, I think Dr. Phil will get thru to him.

Sill need to know what ime we are meeting Sunday. Earlier the better.

BillB
  16. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks but No Bill - Dr. Phil is a wuss. I don't want Nick to turn into a wuss like Dr. Phil :D

I've got no problem reminding Nick on my own :D Just see the above post !!

-luv
  17. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are we riding on Sunday? or just meeting to "plan"?

7:30 at D's?

(see - when I feel like I'm being left out I take over instead :D)
  18. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    7:30 at D's. I have to plan and run. No ride for me. Still not feeling 100% either.

Luv, you can sleep on my couch... :evil

bb
  19. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    I am also a plan and run back home guy. We got company coming in for the turkeyday thing, and I have to get my toys all put away. I need a bigger toybox.
  20. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:

Hey!!!!