DV in December Ride Planning thread

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KillerPriller, Nov 11, 2004.

1. papavero

papavero Just good enough.

Oddometer:
    Hummm, just goes to show, if you don't go to the meetings, you get all the action items. Better late than never. I'll be at D's at 7:30. Almost have Jacki talked into coming along to meet the gang, we'll be on the XII. Dick should I bring you an Espresso maker for the campfire? No, that's not until Jan. Ok then Sunday it is.
  2. Bill on bike

Bill on bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Did not mean to offend. Sorry if I did.

Anybody bringing a laptop with mapping software? Any need for such a thing? I can load National Geographic Back Roads Explorer and bring mine...

bb
  4. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting those :) It all looks prety good except for that one section. I know pictures make things deciving but that section isn't overly intimidating assuming I have someone to help me pick the bike back up. :) (until im sitting at the base :) maybe I should buy those head guards this weekend)

-luv
  5. Gremlin9340

Gremlin9340 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just wanted to make sure I get CC on what the plans end up looking like and maybe a point person to contact down there. I will be on the road the entire week before and probably won't be bringing the laptop (A little Bumpy). By the sounds of it camping sounds like the way we're heading. I uploaded some maps of the area and it looks pretty incredible.

Scott Davison
    scott@theneighborhoodgroup.com
    503.515.4161 or 877-ASK-Scott
  6. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about doing the same thing. Any ideas on which ones to buy (that work with the Aeroflow screen)? Need some Tobinators, too.

Scott: I'll be your man. Once we decide upon our Friday night diggs, I'll call you and let you know where. Is the ASK-Scott number a cell phone or a place that you check messages?

BillB
  7. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    im thinking about these right now
    [​IMG]
  8. Gremlin9340

Gremlin9340 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thnks Bill: The ASK-Scott number will forward to my cell and you can leave a message if I don't answer. Push # if you don't want to listen to my cheesy message.
  9. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, the pass, past the dead guy's grave is tough. I don't have long legs, and am fairly new to dirt and need E-A-S-Y practice on dirt with my adventure. I figure no matter what folks decide I can always ride the flat stuuf while others practice dead lifting large bikes. I nearly die getting mine onto the center stand. I sure hope those system cases show up some time soon. Along with my title too!
  10. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    any one from Utah want to dig themselfs out of the snow and drive/trailer to St. George, and then ride from there. If trailering is too wimpy for ya, I am open to other ideas.
  11. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Hepco Beckers?
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Those look like they'd do the trick. At least offer more protection than the Adventure models.

I was kind of surprised that the LWR guys didn't have these. as much as they were binning those pigs. Made me not want to ride on any truely rough stuff.

If I were going to attempt to traverse stuff like that, I'd want a true DS, with big lugged tires. And light weight.
    I can't believe that SV said some old guy crossed the Trans-Siberia Highway on a Goldwing! Wow!

Anyway, that nice easy 2-lane graded stuff looks about my speed.

I've come up with a solution to my pig lifting onto the center stand issue. I'm going to try a couple of versions tonight when I get home.
  13. Bill on bike

Bill on bike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Dick, if you're going off-roading with the Adv you should remove the system cases and leave them at camp. Makes it MUCH easier to lift and the attaching rails make good lifting points. I broke the forward mount on the right side case one of the times I dropped my GS going down from Mengel Pass.
  14. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    Was working at Stovepipe Wells on the 15th, a nice 90 degs. to bad I had to take to much equipment to ride my bike. I cannot conferm yet, but it looks to be a good weekend. If any body has to trailer down from the north you can park at my place and ride in. I live 10 miles north oh Bishop, making it a short nice ride in. If you want to park here let me know at stonewall@schat.net or call 661-618-8603. :thumb
  15. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    That would be my plan. That is what we did at Lake Isabella as well.

I just got a Skorpion on the rear not the Tourance! Surprize, surprize.... Gaulllleee...

Front on Back order...
  16. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Huh?

Mary is coming to the planning mtg tomorrow. A friend of ours loaned us his GS which is set up for a really short legged person (low seat, smaller wheels) with a loooong torso. You'll see what I mean tomorrow.

We rode around a little today. She did well on it.

See you all in the AM.

Stonewall: kind of you to offer to let us park rigs at your place. We are coming from the south, but that is a nice gesture. Moreover, hope you can ride with us.

BillB
  17. levity

levity nano-Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KillerPriller, luv, Mr Head, billy bee, HBrdr, Mary -
    Nice to meet you all and regrets that this DV trip is not possible for me. Let us all know how things turned out, and keep in touch about future adventures. Clear skies, Larry
  18. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Same here. Thanks for all the sanity tips. :thumb

It seems cold out. My toes are cold!
    I get home and see this on the hill across the road from the house,
    [​IMG]

That is snow and nearly OC! Isn't there a law against this? :huh
  19. luv

luv Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yupper