DV in December Ride Planning thread

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KillerPriller, Nov 11, 2004.

1. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Craig: It looks like you and me and maybe one other. Who else is in? Our ride planner is out, and I feel a little at a loss as to how to proceed. I really don't have time to plan anything. You?

BillB
  2. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Paul P and Scott are the other two who may still be planning on coming. If you guys are still affirm (may have to call Scott as he is on the road now), we should still go. Up to you guys. I'll probably go to the Guzzi Rally in San Diego and the motorcycle show if we don't go to DV. But I am not calling the shots on this one. Up to you guys.

BillB

3. papavero

papavero Just good enough.

Oddometer:
    I would like to do this as a group ride. Everybody still wants to go, but events are working against us. Agreed the weather would be fine during the day, but because of recent rains, the race track is closed along with a bunch of roads. From what I've heard, the race track/grand stands are places people wanted to see. I have no problem with re-scheduling this event when more of the group can make it. Bill, Craig, are you willing to re-schedule? I'm not sure who was originally planning this trip (I think it was Nick). But I'll make a call here and suggest we re-schedule.
  4. Gremlin9340

Gremlin9340 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's fine it sounds like everyone has got stuff going on. I moved back to leaving on Thur. because of snow on the passes. I will probably change my plans around and head down to Baja then.

Scott-
  5. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Baja? Never been to Baja. Could stop at the Guzzi Rally on the way down Friday...ride Baja Sat and Sun...ride back to LostAngeles Sun? I'd do that. I have relatives with a house in some little town down there. We could camp on their property Sat nite. Whoa...this is sounding good.

Thanks Paul P. for taking the initiative to cancel DV. Our next DV trip will be easier to plan...

BillB
  6. CraigTransalp

CraigTransalp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is this general plan for something local?
    Saturday 8.00 AM, rendezvous near the EL Toro Y, go to Trabuco Cyn Rd up the dirt portion to Saddleback Mtn down on Indian Creek Trail to Hwy 15 southbound to Hemet. Then ask for details from that guy who posted yesterday a trip report on Hemet to Idylwild camp there Saturday night. Sunday, head south towards Borrego Springs and west to Julian, Mt Palomar to Fallbrook. Find the junction with that main divide road (Road 19) along the spine of Elsinore Pk. to Ortega Hwy west to I5 and back home. I live in Huntington Beach.
    The Hemet to Idlywild to Borrego Springs portion is all new area for me. Maybe someone else can share their knowledge of some dirt roads to mix in?
    Craig
  7. CraigTransalp

CraigTransalp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely out for the weekend. I don't have time to get the cross-overQD fixed until Saturday, so that means no DV, and caging it for the week. I'm not sure which sucks more.

On the good side of the equation I'm planning on going to the show in the cage Friday night. And by the time I do get to DV, I'll have my front tire.
  9. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Craig:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not interested in a local ride, really. I think I'd rather do some work in the garage or hit the Guzzi rally or the MC show or ride Baja or some such thing. Besides, I understand that some of the areas you outlined are difficult on a GS. Currently, that is my only DS bike. Soon, I'll get some shocks on the back of my Guzzi TT and ride some dirt on it.

BillB
  10. papavero

papavero Just good enough.

Oddometer:
    Wow! Even my KLR would be way more than I could handle on those rocks. Those pics are showing talented folk on some very light and capable machines. No GS over those rocks, except for bouncing. No offense GS guys, but the GS is about 400lbs heavier than a Gas Gas. My KLR is probably 200lbs heavier. I think I'll pass on any camping trip this weekend, call me a wuss, but I'm not interested in sleeping outside in the cold. Maybe a few years ago...maybe not. I would be up for a day trip on Sunday, weather permitting. Saturday, me and the wife are going to the MC show in Long Beach.