DVDaze XIII 2008 - Jan. 25-28 2008.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by KTMSER, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    We had a great time.
    We met these guys that came over 178. :knary

[​IMG]

They invited us to crash at their <s>web</s>campsite. (Misery loves company):evil

It got a little wet, but we had a good deal on some lakefront property (we were told it's really rare in Death Valley) and we staked our reputations - and our tents on it. :deal :lol3

[​IMG]

It ended with a pot of gold. :deal :ricky :lol3
    [​IMG]
  2. bourkeco

bourkeco Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know the trip getting there was hard for most...... but for those of us that made it, it was again a great DVD. The weather was good (cept for a little rain Sat. night) the walk in was really the only one affected ( what do you want for the cheep seets). All of you that bailed out early Sun. missed a day of ridding I will never forget, it was the best day I have ever ridden in the vally of DEATH!
    It was great to meet some of you (the ADV and BMWOA are the best). I will post in the ride report Mon. with Pics.

Later

Scott
  3. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any adults on this thread?
  4. AceRph

AceRph Affluenza Free!

Oddometer:
    You suckers that bailed out missed a pretty fun time. Saturday's weather did not suck.

~60 miles of washboard and an exhaust pipe fell off of my rig, Mr. Cob lost a hack fender bolt & busted the hack taillight & Brad lost his steering damper bolt & had a loose footpeg that caused his brake to be on for about 5 or 6 miles & burn all the grease out of the pusher. Everybody made it back. Another successful Ural outing.

[​IMG]

Very nice to meet all of you.

A special thanks to Hurty. Always an outstanding host.

Plus ilmostro came out. He said if he could hang out with a bunch of slackers like DirtDog & John™, he could hang out with us.
  5. Thump_it

Thump_it Adventurer

Oddometer:

Ha Ha that was funny:rofl i'm the guy to the right of Stonewall and to be honest i'm still on the fence between the Pico and the Kirmit, it was a great demo though, we nearly walked the entire campground in search of a Pico so ownst1100 could try one out, it was quite an adventure in itself just to find the thing
  6. MojaveGS

MojaveGS Loving it!

Oddometer:
    Digging in with McClaw's Div waiting for Jackson
    Yep, maple/brown sugar oatmeal breakfast bar. I didn't see him eat it though...big black birds probably have an upset stomach.
  7. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    For those who pushed through the weather to get there were all rewarded with another GREAT! weekend in Death Valley.

Here's me and Mark at the top of Cajon Pass early Friday morning.

[​IMG]

Mark, working the news crew after breakfast.

[​IMG]

Pushing on the snow and rain went away just 15 miles from the pass.

[​IMG]

Saturday morning we were all rewarded with this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it just got better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

George!

[​IMG]

Everyone seemed to know it was coming and started to pack it in late Saturday afternoon.

[​IMG]

As predicted it rained all night and we all woke up to this.

[​IMG]

Seemed to me everyone else packed it up fast and got early Sunday. Im sure some stuck it out for another day.

[​IMG]

The trip home was interesting. Strong winds and the ride down Cajon Pass was unforgetable.

As for the Pico vs Kermit chair debate, Im sold on the Pico, got to have one.

Many more pictures of the event in my Webshots below.
  8. Ratman

Ratman Lucky Rider

Oddometer:
    Here is the rest of the story, Foot Drager..........thanks for the help.

I left you guys with me sitting on the ground knowing that something bad was wrong with my lower right leg. I was sure that River Rat would soon notice that I was missing......which he did. He was back in ten minutes or so.

First he picked the bike up. That stopped the trickle of gas coming out the overflow, and as he helped me get to a comfortable waiting place we decided that he should go back to camp and get a 4 wheeled vehicle to come get me.

We figured a couple hours at the most. It would be slow travel for something other than a bike. On River Rat's way out he ran into a couple riders that offered to come baby sit me. Turns out one of them, Chris, was a retired Fire chief with some medical first aid training.

A half hour went by before Chris arrived. In the meantime I had enough time to wrap my light rain jacket around the ankle and get the foot stabilized so that it wasn't flopping side to side. And I was able to get the bike running. In my mind, I wondered if riding out was an option.

I got on the bike. Quite a lot of pain involved with moving that foot over the bike. Then I sat there and imagined what configuration of that dangling food would be livable while riding. I soon decided that there would be no tolerable way that i could ride, and the possibility of another fall would be more than I was willing to try. Especially, in lieu of the fact that help was an hour or so away.

It was nice to have Chris there talking, and we passed the time with stories of quintuple bypass surgery, our riding histories and other small talk.

Soon we heard noised of engines coming. River Rat had saved my Ass, and talked Keith Wright Into bringing his crew cab pickup in there to get me. Keith was a Vegas boy with a lot of off roading experience. A lot of folks would never have gotten in there with stock tires on a two wheel drive full size pickup.

I had the back seat to myself, and with some proper blocking of the leg, I was pretty comfortable. Actually the injury wasn't very painful, and still isn't, unless I try to move the leg where the leg and foot don't want to go together. Then it hurts like hell.

After looking at xrays The small bone on the outside of the leg is broken at the top and bottom, but not displaced. The big bone is broken diagonally and separated about an inch up from the bottom.

Anyway they got me back to camp, prolly about 6 or 8 miles of the dirt road. Keith kept the speed down and no problem with bouncing around.

So once back at camp the authorities got in the act. Well, first Chris folded my leg and foot up in a pillow and taped me into it. Cool.
    ........then the rangers wanted to make reports, and the CHP had to make reports and see that I had insurance. All these folks have medical advise, and every thing I got was that I needed medical attention right away.

Like the longer it took to get the leg pinned the less likely it would heal properly......and then, of course, you could lose your leg you know........ They all thought I should use the heli that just happened to be there.

The finances of these thing go like this. Ambulances and civilian hospitals are very expensive. This operation would be thousands of dollars and the medicare portion (20%) that I would have to pay would also be thousands of dollars....just fewer thousands.

I am covered by the Veterans hospital, So all I have to do it get to one. I'm thinking that there is surely a VA hos in Vegas. Keith agrees to run me in there. And does the 150 miles post haste, but we cant establish that Nellis Airforce Base has VA. So I get dropped off at ER at a civilian hos near where Keith lives.

All the while I'm thinking that this has to be taken care of post haste. I tell the paperwork girl that I want to be tranfered to VA as soon as possible. She say, "sure.", but I don't think she is listening.

After an hour and a half of waiting I get taken behind the door. Another 3/4 of an hour and I actually get out of the wheel chair and onto a bed where xrays can be taken. The accident happened at around noon and it is 9pm now.

I get xrays done finally and 30 minutes later a doctor comes to see me. I try to tell him about the VA transfer and all. He say that he is sure that Nellis can't do this surgery, and of course I should have it done right away. You could lose your leg, you know.

The doc l;eaves and an orderly comein to give me a proper splint wraping. He want to talk about th killer deal he go on a Yamaha 450 enduro that he has. Very enthusiastic guy. Says hell drop off a bike magazine that he has in his car. He doesn't......and I'm ok with that.

So i'm beginning to think, hang the cost, I'll let them do the surgery. They actually admit me to the hospital around 10:30. That gets them the first days hospital charge if you are in before midnight.

So I get thru the night. It not too uncomfortable. They gave me some morphine. I was looking forward to that, but I couldn't tell any difference. I had my cell phone so I called Dee. She said she could come get me if I wanted. I have a VA hos about 30 miles from where I live.

One of the nurses say, "Oceanside.....my boyfriend broke his foot falling off the railing at the Oceanside pier an we brought him back to Vegas for the surgery." So here is the first time I hear that surgery doesn't have to be done right away.

And the nurse say they won't do surgery over the weekend, and it is Saturday now, so they aren't going to do it on Sunday. More evidence that it can wait.

I made the call to Dee for the medivac by her and her son. They would be in Vegas to get me at about 3pm Sat.

Sometime about noon the orthopedic surgeon comes to see me. I was happy to see him, and tell him I was leaving at 3pm Against Medical Advise (AMA). Of course he was only there to get in on the collection of his consultation fee,...........but at least he wasn't trying to drum up business with this it has to be done right away crap.

He was a straight shooter, and said that if I get the surgery done in the next week it should be fine, and further, did I want him to call my VA hos and tell them I was coming, and what to expect. He left saying that he would call me on my cell to tell me what VA said.

So that is almost the end of the story. The doctor did call as I was halfway home and told me that VA said to come in on Monday afternoon....that they would pin me up on Tuesday. We will see about that. But I will go down there soon and see what happens.

.............and I got word yesterday that my bikes and trailer would be brought back to San Diegoish by other ADVriders that were enjoying the weekend.

I'm really thankful for all the help that I've had during this episode of tribulations. Thanks all.
  9. Stonewall

Stonewall The Wild

Oddometer:
    It was great to see everybody. I went to DV this year with only three objectives:
    1. See my friends :evil
    2. Have a great steak at Casa De Hurty with my friends :deal
    3. Get Hammered with my friends:freaky

Mission accomplished

As for the chair, you can get them from Jim Coburn at Mt Sun Touring http://www.mt-sun.com/ He may not have them on his site yet, but he does carry them
  10. torbo

torbo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first trip to DV, left at 4am Fri... first off, major props to those of you
    that actually rode in.(wind,rain and snow)(I trucked it)
    did meet some great people, and you Urals...what a great cast of characters,
    hope to see you all again.
    Everybody was cool, the riding unreal. Looking forward to a return in hopes of riding the areas that were closed. Also props to mojaveGS for keeping the up to the minute posts, very helpful.
    torbo
  11. m0to

m0to Under the Big Hard Sun

Oddometer:
    I talked to Pete on the way home. He's in great spirits all things considered. I'm going to drop by the VA hospital tomorrow to check in on him.

RiverRat! Your rock dude! He organized getting all of Pete's things back to the San Diego area. Thanks everyone who chipped in.

I was expecting more of a 'Party' up there! :-) We went over to one of the parties cause we heard there were girls there. When we showed up we misheard and it turned out there were "Urals" there. WTF? :D

I've got some pics. It was a pleasure to meet you guys! Angryscot, I couldnt' find you before you bailed out. Got any stickers left?
  12. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hurty was kind enough to buy me a shiny, new Pico chair last Fall after I did a little work on his motorhome, and I gotta say that I love it! Thanks, Bernie!!
  13. MOTO_TRAVELER

MOTO_TRAVELER "LET'S RIDE"

Oddometer:
    All I would like to say is;

Wow..! I had a Blast..!

After 1100+ miles, I'm home without incident or accident&#8230; :nod

Looking forward to DVD 2009 :thumb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. MOTO_TRAVELER

MOTO_TRAVELER "LET'S RIDE"

Oddometer:

Ratman, sad to hear about your broken leg&#8230;

I was camped over at #12 Friday and Saturday night. I didn&#8217;t hear about your incident until I read your post&#8230;

Glad to hear that our fellow Inmates stepped up and helped you out&#8230;

Take care of that leg and get well soon&#8230;
  15. AngryScot

AngryScot .

Oddometer:
    PM me your address so I can send you your decal!:thumb
    Glad you are doing better! wow!
    Cool rig by the way!
  16. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had just met RiverRat earlier that that day (great guy), and was pretty worried about him when I found out what had happened, good to hear he's doing OK and was taken care off :thumb
  17. cRAsH

cRAsH Banned

Oddometer:
    It's what he does, apparently.

Once again; onya, RR. :thumb
  18. nwgs

nwgs Danned

Oddometer:

Yup, Great Guy.

Heal fast River Rat. You're a big stud.

:kumbaya
  19. cRAsH