DWI banned from Canada?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ridepjride, May 16, 2010.

1. ridepjride

ridepjride Migrant

Oddometer:
    Planning on a trip to Canada this year. My friend from Minnesota is going along, but tells me he just found out that a DWI from 15 years ago will prevent him from entering Canada. Anyone else know this as a fact?
  2. FatTirePlease

FatTirePlease Still rollin'

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. In Canada DWI's are considered felonies ( even though they are misdemeanors here). I went to the port at Port Angeles , Washington and was told by them that whatever you do , do not lie about your prior records. Tell them of your DWI and chances were pretty good that they would just make you pay a $150-$200 fee ( extortion, eh? ) . On the other hand that might not be an option , depending on their mood, in which case you are put into a holding 'room' until the next Ferry back to the states leaves. ( 8 hours , in my case). Ya , like I need to go to Canada THAT BAD! Piss on 'em! My $.02. FatTirePlease
  3. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    Let him try.. and then he can start yet another "Those Fascists In Canada Didn't let Me In" thread in Jo Momma :lol3
  4. Stranded in Iowa

Stranded in Iowa couch adv`r

Oddometer:
    I once read it somewhere`s that you can pre-apply for entry into Canada if you know you might not make it in because you have a DWI from years ago.
    You`ll have to contact the Canadian Embassy here in the States and they will foreward you the paper work necessary. And it`ll cost approx $200 non-refundable wether they grant you permission or not. Most likely they grant permission if you been a good boy for those 15 years, and have money, credit card, and such.
  5. dstutz

dstutz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Source: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1082.html#entry_requirements

Quote: Please Note: Anyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or Driving While Impaired (DWI)) charges may be barred from entering Canada and must obtain a special waiver well in advance of any planned travel. To determine whether you may be inadmissible and how to overcome this finding, please refer to the Canadian citizenship and immigration website.
  6. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Can you imagine the sh*t storm that would arise if we had the same requirements?
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Yes it and sorely pisses me off too, because we should be able to do whatever the fuck (within reason) we want at our borders. I would call keeping drunk drivers out of the country acting within reason.
  8. LongWays

LongWays Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer:
    City of Subdued Excitement.... no really it is!
    :scratch

Ummmm... You do.
    I know a bunch of folks who have been bounced, mostly pot charges from when they were teenagers.
  9. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always thought that our border was pretty much a sieve as far as Americans entering was concerned. Nice to know we have SOME standards. But I don't think a DWI from 15 years ago should be a barrier if there have be no other recorded incidents since.
  10. mac10

mac10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This goes both ways. Canada and the US bar people from entry according to their own standards. Both countries have a system to apply for a "waiver" to allow people with certain records to be admitted. Both are very strict in enforcing it, ( detention and deportation anyone?) but also reasonable if a person admits their record and applies in time and properly. Both do not tolerate or accept whining or ignorance.

Both countries share criminal record databases-it is hard to hide a record if they check you at the border, or if they find you already in either country while inadmissible. This commonly happens in traffic stops by police. I have seen many cases of inadmissible people arrested and then deported. In both directions. Often several days in detention, with your vehicle towed and impounded. (Imagine your bike hung from the back of a wrecker by a chain, then dropped and stored uncovered, with gophers chewing the rubber while you wait in detention in the nearest big city.)

Each country decides what things make a person inadmissible. For Canadians, it has often been an old marijuana offence, and for USA citizens anything related to DUI,(called Impaired Driving in Canada) or trying to bring a handgun into Canada.

The waiver system is relatively uncommon. Most countries just bar people outright, with no chance to get a waiver. Far better to apply in advance for a waiver than to take chances.
  11. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    Good idea checking ahead. I am often surprised at how upset folks get when they try to enter a sovereign country and are denied entry. Laws vary across countries. When I got my NEXUS pass a few years ago, there was a family that was quite upset that their son was denied his pass due to a drug charge that he hadn't mentioned to them previously; it came up on the U.S. background check.
    If a traveller has had any sort of trouble with the law and it has not been pardoned, it's a good idea to make sure that it won't come back and bite them when they try to cross international boundaries. YMMV.
  12. mac10

mac10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Canadian pardons mean nothing to US authorities They are interested in the fact of a conviction. Don't assume a pardon means anything. Check first.
  13. smokit2

smokit2 smokit2

Oddometer:
    Alas a 15 yr. old US DWI can prevent a visit to Canada.

I got stopped going into Alberta but was issued a "pardon" in perpetuity at the border crossing. If old practices continue, Canadian Border officials take vacation in the summer and turn the border over to interns. I would seek guidance from the Canadian embassy prior to attempting a crossing on dumb luck
  14. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    Mind sending a link to the forms one has to fill out in order to come into the US? I checked and didn't find anything like that.
  15. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
  16. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    But, notice that on Table 1 located here that you are deemed rehabilitated after 10 years has past without further convictions.
  17. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am one that can't get into the USof A...because of a small charge 30 years ago! I need to have a pardon from Canada, a wavier from the States(this usually costs me between $1500-$2500 every time it runs out!) The most you can get now a days is a 5 year wavier....I got one last time and by the time I got it from Homeland security it was only good for 3 years!!!! No appology nothing! No extension or anything. Better luck next time was my answer!!!
    I have a theft under $200 on my record that is erased here....yep! I'm a huge threat!!! Ya Right!

I now refuse to pay the extortion for entry to your country.....I get almost raped even with all this paperwork that I have to carry with me every time I want to go to the states.....and it's still up to the border guards if they want to let me in!

I can visit or live in any other country in the world...what makes the USA so frigg'in special????...I will be spending my yearly vacation dollars elsewhere from now on....their loss not mine...I've seen all I care to any way.:deal

It takes a long time to get all of the paperwork together....usually months! If you think you need it...start now to get it! Criminal record check, finger prints, complete background check, sponsers people to vouge for your character, it isn't easy.....and you can't get any of it at the same place!!! Plus you then need to go to the irport and give all of this to the homeland security boys and get photographed, finger printed, grilled as to why you want to go to the US....all total Bullshit IMHO! You already have all the paperwork from the RCMP etc and they don't care.

It is just a money grab if you ask me!

So..if you are planning on doing a trip....start early. I don't know about coming to Canada...only the other way.
  18. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's basically the same getting into Canada (for a DWI in committed in the US). You have to provide a certified background check from local as well as state police, and FBI, a notarized copy of all court records, notarized copy of any state or federal statutes that were included in the charges, finger prints, plus $200-$1000 non-refundable fee. Process takes up to 1 year.
  19. halmc

halmc Turkey T*urd

Oddometer:
    Tallahassee, Florida -- home of good ideas
    Pardons ain't terribly effective in the country from which the originate, and less effective in countries that you may care to visit. Checking ahead is the only reasonable course, and lying at the border about a criminal record -- or anyother matter -- is a brand new criminal offense.
  20. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: