DWI banned from Canada?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by ridepjride, May 16, 2010.

1. mrprez

mrprez KJ4WMZ

Oddometer:
    What makes us so special?

9/11/2001

Nuff said.
  2. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes you got hit...I agree a very dark day...but....for petty crimes committed 30 plus years ago that have been errased etc...come on....I'm also not a towel wearing immigrant from the sand box....your border guards just need to accept the work their co-workers did with such diligence.....or you may as well just not do the paperwork in the first place and let them do the check at the border as they do it any way.
    After taking almost 6-12 months to get all the paperwork along with all of the expense of it just to have them do it all again at the border is what is so aggravating! I've already jumped through the hoops etc and done the song and dance asked of me...I'm not doing it again every time I cross the border....sorry....even you guys aren't that special!:deal 9/11 or not.
  3. Birddodger

Birddodger Gets lost on purpose

Oddometer:
    S/W corner of sequoia park/East of the Comstock NV
    Why cant you just skip across the border like they do in Arizona/Mexico?
    Come over. Have an anchor baby. Collect Welfare. You know live the American dream.
    Or does that only work if you come from the southern border?
    What is the worst thing that can happen? Deportation?
    A few weeks ago a Southwestern grocery store chain got busted for hiring hundreds of llegals. No one got deported, no fines for the store. The Illegals just got laid off with a decent severence package. They are probably back at work with new ID's.
    Here in CA the liberals try to pass Drivers licences for ILLEGAL ALIENS ( im sorry "undocumented workers" You must be Politically Correct here in Cali.) evrey couple years.
    The Canadian border is three time as big as the Mexican border. There must be a few holes in it.
  4. Indy

Indy hackdriver

Oddometer:
    the "rehabilitation" is a different word for "give me money" first they make you pay , then when they find out that the records they can glean are way less detailed than they "need" they offer you a onetime waiver that is good for 2 weeks and it is surprisingly the exact same price as the rehabilitation that you just paid for... to do it right you must have the court records from the state and court that you were tried in way back when. and then you pay them a fee, There are lawyers who specialize in getting you what you want but they get a LOT of money to do that and take FOREVER. good luck! i ain't goin back to Canada again it seems

Oh yeah, if you get denied trying to go to Canada, the US side will ream you cuz you must be a bad man! after all you couldn't get into Canada! spent 4 days in jail cuz of what the US side did to me After! still went back after the 4 days and paid for the waiver and delivered the load I was trying to deliver in the first place. the same idiot was on duty when i came back to the US, and I got the whole monty AGAIN. but I did give the guy some shit! all charges were dropped. nothing became of it, the only injured party was ME. and yes, it was from me getting pulled over with a roach in the ashtray 25 years ago. it was a $200 fine back then but i wont go to Canada anymore over that...
  5. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once you get RED FLAGGED by the States border ...you are done....stick a fork in you type done! You will never get across without the third and forth degree....it's just not worth it...period!:deal
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    I got denied, long story that can only be told over beers, years ago. Got sick and tired of the paying to get the waiver. Now I just go. Sometimes I get a few questions or weird stares from the border guys but I just smile and say what are you talking about. Seems to be working for the last couple of years :clap
  7. cliffy109

cliffy109 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why is it so hard to enter from Canada and so easy from Mexico? Oh wait... entry from one is by people who essentially want to obey the law and the other is from people who don't give a flying "F" about the law. Border checkpoints work as long as people actually use them.
  8. blues

blues Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live 40 miles from the Canadian border and I'm in and out of Canada weekly. For the most part it is really easy. Answer a few basic questions and you're good to go.

Agents, on both sides, are essentially doing the same job, they filter out the trouble makers. On average they spend about 1 minute per car, and in that minute they need to determine if the person they are talking to is ok or is maybe trouble. And they do this all day long.

On a regular basis there are articles in the paper about someone getting arrested at the border; big time drug smugglers, human trafficers, pedos, and wanted felons, you name it. Just because you claim to be a petty criminal doesn't count for much.

If you've got a record, well you've got a record and the law says you're not coming in. There are lawyers who specialize in getting waviers.
  9. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never been asked more than why are you here and how long are you going to stay? Of course I have no felonies. And I guess I look meek and mild. :wink:
  10. kevinrf

kevinrf Making up lost time

Oddometer:
    From what I understand, the info you have been given is accurate. However, you may want to contact an Australian who toured the US and up into AK via Canada, who had what I believe was a DWI in Oz. He had a lot of hoops to jump through, but was in the end successful The reason I bring this up, is that his adventure was just last summer. His handle is "travellingstrom" and he is a member of ADVrider. His story of his Canadian crossing on his N & S America tour, can be read on the VSRI forum. Good Luck!
  11. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:

your usa broader guards are far worse. Canada DYI you drive you car home. USA any type of crime even saying in 1964 you tried LSD on face book gets you kicked. Often they take cars, bike away if you ve got any record. they even take car of people whom happen to be driving across with a friend.
  12. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    we don't give a fuck who comes across our borders. :lol3
  13. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...I was going to comment ..but I thought better of it.......lol:huh:evil:lol3
  14. TourPros

TourPros Local wherever I go

Oddometer:
    I have ahd half a band refused entry and a lot of times crew members even tour bus drivers refused entry to Canada. They charge me about $400 every time I go and now I try and go as little as possible as I am not a fan.

"canada a loft apt over a really good party .keep it down eh. How do you take a country seriously when they base their monetary system on something called the Looney? And besides the Queen is involved"
  15. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the plus side we don't have strange cult symbols on our folding money which is also colour coded for easier differentiation. :evil
  16. alphajory

alphajory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's unfortunate that the the US and the Homeland security force has made the Canada-US border much less favorable for people to cross, yet we still remain one of the largest trading partners in the world. But instead of moving to the European system where you can move freely through the different countries we moved the exact opposite direction and closed the borders down. But then again the US is stopping all of the terrorists that constantly try to get into the US from Canada. :rofl:rofl:rofl
  17. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    I'm sure those dudes planning to blow up LAX a few years ago were no help.

Anyway, I'm sure there are plenty of quiet farm crossings where the staff are more understanding.
  18. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    Yeah Canada really blows to try to get across the border. I tried to get across in 2008 and the asked a trick question at the border like "have you ever been in front of a magistrate? WTF? NO I DON"T THINK SO, wait what the hell is a "magistrate" oh yeah a judge. Well I got in some trouble in 1985. Then i got the 5th degree from this 3'9" guard who had little man syndrome of something and tells me i'm undesirable because I had a conviction in 1985 and not a lick of trouble since. I had been in Pentiction,BC 2 weeks before with no problems. No problem I do not need to go to Canada, I will spend my money in The US. Screw that BS.
  19. Finger Mullet

Finger Mullet Adventurer

Oddometer:

I got a dui in college and have traveled the world since...I just got back from Germany, and a recent trip to Ecuador...never....I mean never..have I ever heard anything.

I can't believe that if I flew to Canada ... they would ask me to take the next flight back out...thats insane......guess canada will never get on the list, but I never saw a reason to go there. :D
  20. nvdlboy

nvdlboy Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Vancouver, BC (right beside the forest)
    Rules vary by country and the U.S. is just as tough on folks trying to enter as any other country plus they like to push their rules/laws on others. I have a Canadian relative who lives in Europe with his Italian wife and their kids. They were refused entry by the U.S. in 2008 because the kids (8 and 4 years old) didn't have their own passports, they were on their mother's passport. When they explained that their home country's law was to have the kids on mom's passport, the U.S. said too bad they MUST have their own passports to enter the U.S. This family has travelled the world without incident and entered the U.S. several times previously (we own property jointly in the U.S.). After the U.S. border agents detained the family for 4 hours and reduced the kids to tears when they asked for water, my relatives were sent on their way back to Canada - so much for visiting the cottage for lunch!
    There are poorly mannered agents on both sides of the border.