E-mini’s! Electric Youth. MX/Enduro style electric bikes

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Glov3r, Dec 4, 2018.

?

What is the biggest reason you bought or will buy an Electric MiniBike?

1. Low Maintenance

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. Ease of use

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Price

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Size/Weight

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  5. Ability to ride in public places

10 vote(s)
    62.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    Everything to do with electric minibikes. MX,XC, Enduro and trials. I feel there’s a lot of interest here and we are on the cusp of something big. This thread is to discuss everything for the youth electric riders and bikes. Riding, Racing, parts, trouble shooting, modifications, batteries, prices, ride times, etc.
  2. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    Chain&Sprocket upgrade. Does anyone have any input on upgrading sprockets and chain? Every bike that we’ve had has the Chinese chain and sprockets. The small chain that’s about a 1/4” wide. I’d like to use a MTB chain setup at least.
  3. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    I bought my son a 2015 Oset 12.5R, for his third Christmas. (He was about 2 1/2) We started him on Striders when he was about a year and half. I loved the 12.5R, It has a top speed setting and a throttle response setting. I turned both settings down all the way, and removed the foot pegs. This allowed him to ride the Oset like a Strider, around the house, around the yard. Within three months he was riding it with the pegs on holding it up with no trouble. The seat height was perfect for him to begin with and I purchased him a foam seat from advdesigns.com, once he got a little taller. I didn’t have one issue with the Oset. The styling and design is beyond amazing with the anodized parts, the disc brakes, easy charging etc. If this bike is made in China they did a damn good job of it. My son rode that bike up until last week, at four years old. (3’6”-60lbs) He rode it like a dirtbike, not much trials action!! Riding it like this has its disadvantages when it comes to battery life. I had four sets of the lead acid batteries that I could rotate into the bike to get an unlimited ride time. (Rotating the batteries and using an off the bike charger kit) At his age he was to small for a PW50,they are heavy and the throttle response is like a dog. I would highly recommend the Oset for a small kid, but make sure you purchase the R model of you have the choice.
  4. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    We picked up a new 2016 Kuberg Cross white edition on Friday. (I had to sell the Oset 12.5R and was honestly sick about it! But I couldn’t afford to hold onto it and buy him another bike!)

The Kuberg is a very nice bike, but I don’t see one single advantage in the craftsmanship over the Oset. The Kuberg kind of has a funky look to it, but it’s growing on me. I like the magnetic key and the fact I can get the Kuberg app on my phone, and set different speeds etc. With a seat height of around 25” inches I was very Leary about this being to big. I backed the spring down on the rear shock giving it a 22” seat height and he is able ride it just fine. He isn’t flat footed but can touch with one foot when he is leaning the bike. The bike has three speed settings. We started it on the first setting which was a little to slow. He rode this session on the second setting and I’m not going up to third one for a bit. The first thing I noticed about this bike is that it absolutely rips! The major disadvantage is not having the throttle response dial. But I look at it as teaching great throttle control. The tires on this thing are ridiculously heavy, and like blocks. (Kuberg now has Kenda Millvilles on these bikes) The other thing I hate is that there is no handlebar stop on the neck. This lets the bars spin almost all the way around, and my son got gouged hard on a slow speed tip over. The forks are from a mountain bike and will do the job. It seems like the rake is a few degrees out to far. This is a great bike for the pw50 age group and with its few shortcomings, has many advantages over a pw50. Better suspension, better brakes, and ease of use. Plug it in, let it charge and go.
    Bucho likes this.
  5. RiderMom

RiderMom n00b

Oddometer:
    I'll be looking at the Oset 12.5 and Oset 16 for my tall 3.5 year old (3'6" 47 lbs) daughter tomorrow. Looks like the dealer also carries Kubergs, so I'll check those out while I'm there. Just curious why you got a Kuberg Cross rather than getting a larger Oset? And given my daughter is the same height as your son, do you think she's outgrown the Oset 12.5 already? She rides a BMX bike right now - hasn't ridden anything motorized yet. I only just started looking at electric dirt bikes today - we thought we were going to get her a PW50 for Christmas but are realizing electric is a better option for less noise and a slightly lighter bike.
  6. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
    With her size and age she would get 15 months out of a 12.5. The 16 she could ride until shes 8-9.

Just got a 12.5 for my son for christmas and hes 2.5 years old. Hr will probably get 2 years on it before its too small and i upgrade him to a 16.
  7. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    I bought the KUBERG rather blindly, a guy about three hours away had one that had never been ridden. I got a deal on it, so that’s what I bought for now. I’m definitely buying a 16” inch Oset as soon as I find a good used one around here. I often here people say the Oset is Chinese junk, but I disagree. Definitely don’t believe everything you hear or read!!
    The Oset 12.5 will be to small for her by spring, I would recommend the Oset 16” or Mx10. You can put a seat on the Oset trials and she can ride it like a dirtbike. Plus a huge advantage is the potentiometer on the Osets so that you can dial in the throttle response, speed, and torque. And if your daughter can get into trials riding she’ll Have an advantage over any other rider. Also Oset is second to none when it comes to customer service, I’ve been trying to contact KUBERG for a week now. We want to do some racing this year on a mini-E. We’re probably going to get a mx 10. It’s only disadvantage is the 10” wheels.
  8. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    Here is a comparison I put together for the MX/ Enduro Style bikes, Note: BETA IS THE 19' MiniCross E, GASGAS IS THE Enduro Pro 2 19' MiNi-E comparison .JPG
  9. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    My kid has always been on the tall side. When he was four (I think, can't remember) I couldn't decide whether to get the OSET 12.5 or 16. He was just tall enough for the 16 so I ended up getting that. For my kid, I think that was a mistake. He had the balance bike fairly down and his first ride on the OSET 16 went fine till he fell when he came to a stop. Hurt him a little and he was scared of it for a long while after (like a year or more).
    I really wish I would have bought the smaller 12.5 even if would have only used it one season. I think he would have been much more comfortable and things would have worked better for us.

He is now 11 and has had the OSET 20.0 for a year and a half. He is still doing well with it. Our property has some steep spots and lots of offcamber.

In general the electric bikes have been AWESOME! We recently moved and now a gas bike would be as big of a deal. But where we used to live the electric bike was essential to actually being allowed to use in the neighborhood and the school field that backed up to our house. When people dont here the noise they just don't think its a "dirtbike".
    Also the OSET bikes dont have to be used like a trials bike. I have always put a seat on them. My kid (and wife) sit most of the time.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck RiderMom
    Glov3r likes this.
  10. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Obligatory ride pic

upload_2018-12-7_3-39-57.jpeg
    Glov3r likes this.
  11. RiderMom

RiderMom n00b

Oddometer:
    We ended up getting the Oset 12.5 with a seat. She'll outgrow it within a year or so, but at least she'll have fun and feel comfortable on this little bike, which will hopefully lead to her loving the sport and wanting to continue on bigger bikes down the road. Plus, we have a 7 month old who will get the 12.5 passed down to him in a couple years. We want to start him around 2.5 yrs old.

We also talked to a couple GasGas dealers, since they have some sweet options as well (eg Enduro One and Trial One), but they
    1) were each 2+ hours drive w/o traffic
    2) were mostly sold out of bikes
    3) didn't have the specs on the new models, like seat height
    4) won't get the new models until late spring

So no-go on the GasGas - maybe we'll go with a GasGas Enduro for her next bike? For now, just excited to see how she likes using a throttle!
    Glov3r and Bucho like this.
  12. Gjvander

Gjvander n00b

Oddometer:
    Glov3R,

Awesome summary. My daughter is currently on a Kuberg Start. I am looking at upgrading. One thing I find annoying about the Start is that it uses a DC motor - to me the throttle response is weird and causes her to ride the bike with the throttle in an On/Off manner. I was hoping to find a manufacturer that uses and ESC type controller, where the torque can be modulated better. She does fine on the lawn, but I would like to take her with when I take the trials bike out for some light woods riding, and I don't think the throttle will do her any favors.

Any insight as to whether GasGas or Beta uses ESC type controller?

Regards,

Geo
  13. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
  14. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    The Beta isn’t adjustable, the GasGas is speed and response adjustable with a smart phone app! The Oset is also adjustable with three different settings including speed,torque and throttle response.
  15. rainmaker8

rainmaker8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We got a Kuberg Cross for our tall 7-year old and he loves it. He may grow out of it by next year but electric should hold some value. More updates soon...
  16. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    Yes, the OSET is very adjustable.
  17. smdub

smdub Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you considered an aftermarket DC motor controller? I just had my sons 2015 OSET 20.0R motor controller upgraded to 2018 specs (software/throttle mapping.) Its MUCH better but still far from what it could be. Good enough to get him riding. I read that some would replace their earlier OSET controller w/ an aftermarket one (can't remember common recommended brand but it used a PC to change settings.) There are tons of industrial DC controllers out there. Could like fit something aftermarket to your daughter's Kuberg.
    Glov3r likes this.
  18. full of days

full of days Simplify or Die

Oddometer:
    Kelly controller upgrade.
    Glov3r likes this.
  19. Glov3r

Glov3r ThrottleJunkie

Oddometer:
    8FDC7E51-3A21-4A96-84F4-194F864D80C6.jpeg 4FBB519A-2DCE-4B4A-83EF-CC36C668407D.jpeg I have a 16’ Kuberg Cross, looking to unload. I’ll ship, (split costs) 900. Like brand new barely ridden.if interested Message me
    rainmaker8 likes this.
  20. Gjvander

Gjvander n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I will do some research on the controllers.