E/ PD

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by rider33, Feb 23, 2019.

1. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    alright, a first for me, an electric police bike in service on the street in California:
    A7DDF6B1-CB93-43CD-92C4-34AF10DC9A30.jpeg
    'seems like a good application for local duty really. My guess is it would out-pull an FL below 50 and be a lot more maneuverable too. Maintenance should be next to non-existent as well, 'nice.
  2. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve seen them before. Remember Fonzi trying to say “I’m sorry”, that’s how you read me saying that’s a good use of tax dollars. I wonder if the battery lasts all day or if they can switch out at lunch or something.
  3. Rugby4life

Rugby4life Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's a Zero DS-P. Several local PDs in SC have them. Greenville city PD has a small fleet of them used for patrolling downtown as well as local parks and playgrounds. There is also a 20+ mile walking/bicycling trail that links several communities. Several stretches of that trail are rather remote and used to be mugger friendly zones. After the Zeros silently snuck up on some of the perpetrators and busted them, crime there went down dramatically. Range isn't really an issue the way they're deployed. They plug in while at lunch and when parked doing paperwork to gain a little extra if needed.
    voltsxamps and Bucho like this.
  4. rider33

rider33 Long timer

Oddometer:
    other than freeway intercept duty my guess would be the DS-P would be more than enough for most police cycle functions. It also looks like a hell of a lot of fun. There was a deck floating around the internet which compared the total operating cost of several models by a local department. As I recall, it concluded something like the BMW's where the most expensive to deploy (cost plus routine maintenance & repair) followed the the Harley's (FL's) followed by the Honda's (ST1300's). My guess would be if these where in the mix they would have won easily,
    electric engines age pretty well.
    voltsxamps likes this.