E. TN. ride day

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by OldTriumphRider, Oct 2, 2014.

1. sunset_ryder

sunset_ryder aka "toots"

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing.
  2. whistlepig

whistlepig Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wish I could get my SO into riding her own bike. She has lots of experience riding pillion but too intimidated to ride on her own. I pushed her for awhile to learn to ride but she clearly wasn't comfortable. I decided to stop pushing her after my friends SO crushed her ankle learning to ride. I guess it's not for everyone.
  3. OldTriumphRider

OldTriumphRider Livin the Dream Supporter

Oddometer:

You had that 950 out lately ?

Barb has some trail riding experience from along time ago, I think that really helps. But after serveral years off the bikes she took it easy getting back to riding.
    Best thing is she's having fun and she likes gravel/dirt roads :clap . Last summer we took a couple bikes to Utah and she got to ride some of the White Rim Trail in Canyonlands National Park .
    Barb's only 67 yrs young , so I think we got time for a few more rides along Citico Ck !!! :eek1 I may even take her back out to Utah!!
    I think it takes some nerves to ride pillion , I wouldn't feel comfortable back there !!!
    NxtGoRnd likes this.
  4. nightowl1352

nightowl1352 n00b

Oddometer:
    Looks like a lot of fun. I go to East Tn a lot and was wondering if you have an of these places mapped out?
  5. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    dairyland insurance comes with a nice roadside assistance program for towing, motel if broke down etc...

Thanks for sharing the pics..
    Is the last week in Oct usually a good time to ride your area for a leaf tour?
  6. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    I go to East Tn a lot and was wondering if you have an of these places mapped out?

Sorry , I don't map out these rides. Believe or not there just country roads winding around toward the Foothills Pkw. Some F.S. roads are around Citico Ck toward Cherohala Skw and Tellico Plains...

We just take off from the house this time of yr letting the weather dictate our ride! Like today , we rode for about 3 hrs , went from sunny to cloudy and even got wet on the way home ,but it was almost 60 degrees out.... guess it is winter!

I was all set to work on an old Triumph when she comes out to the shop and tells me she thinks we should be out riding , I say OK and roll out the bikes!:wink: I love that girl!:rogue

Ronnie
  7. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing the pics..
    Is the last week in Oct usually a good time to ride your area for a leaf tour?[/QUOTE]

The way I look at it , E.Tn. has a long , colorful fall season...It starts in the mts. and works its way down to our elevation ,about 900ft. So if you come looking in the last of Oct you would probably find color somewhere.

Glad you like the pix , I'm sorta doing it as a diary , hope to keep it goin.

Thanks for the ins. tip ! I have dairyland ins , covering any bike I ride , so I'll have to call and find out .... Last yr when we went to Utah I called and bumped up the insurance on the 2 bikes we were taking . Be good if they would cover ya if you had to have someone come get the bike out on the White Rim Trail !
  8. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    AMA membership also has some travel benefits but not sure what...
    Last year I got a special card from dairyland for the roadside benefits. I have 2 policies and got a card for each one
  9. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    (11).jpg (15).JPG (18).JPG (22).JPG Been doing some rides together this winter but it's been to cold to mess with the camera. Today was a great day to take a spring ride , sunny and warm. First time I rode the ' new to me' KTM 690 Enduro with Barb. The bike was great in the sand last week in Florida and it works well just putting around the country side also.
    Always makes you feel good when you see all the spring flowers along the road. With a little orange "Tennessee" dirt !

Love these old bridges .

Good Times , we put those helmets on and we're youngsters again!

We also done the Foothills PKW ... love that road , lots of bikes out today!

10. Tom48

Tom48 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A 1st class ride and report.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    IMGP0044.JPG Perfect day for riding in E.Tn. Tellico Plains , North River Rd , Green Cove to Holly Flats camp , Wildcat Rd back to Tellico. This is also part of the TAT route now. Lots of folks camped out in this area today. We got a few pix on North River at one of the camp sites along the river.

IMGP0007.JPG

IMGP0029.JPG

Another great ride right out our back door !
    popscycle, klaviator and NxtGoRnd like this.
  12. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good report. It's hard to have a bad ride in E. Tennessee!

I'll be watching for more.
  13. wvdirtbiker

wvdirtbiker MILES2GO

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed your pictures and comments. Beautiful country. It's good to see young folks out on their motorcycles enjoying themselves.
    I like your idea of taking a picture of the ID plates on older bridges.
  14. rmunch44

rmunch44 -

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you two near the bald river this past week. Keep posting, love the pics. Hope to be back down soon.
    Super Tenere
  15. DoubleM

DoubleM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love your ride report! I hope to get my wife to ride along with me some day. She rides pillion and just bought her a tw200 to practice on dirt roads around here.
    Like seeing those old bridge pictures as well. We have a swing bridge that is still operational which was made by American Bridge and Truss in 1905 at the RR I work for.
  16. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    IMGP0012.JPG Last Thursday we took another ride along the Tellico River. This is the area that the TAT now passes through. Barb likes to ride a 100 miles or so and call it a ride, so we trailer down to that area so we don't kill 80 miles on the hi-way.
    Makes for a good picnic when we are done riding also . We start riding along the tarmac on the Tellico River Rd and pass Bald River Falls. Man , is this ever a Beautiful place !!!

We pass the fishing village along Green Cove , there are some places you can stay in that area.

IMGP0023.JPG

We then come to our turn off to head up toward Holly Flats Campground and past Green Cove Lake , we will stay to the left on Old Bald River Rd
    when we get to the lake.....
    IMGP0031.JPG

You also cross a small bridge on the Tellico , this bridge is not real old , got a pic of the tag on the bridge.

IMGP0028.JPG

Nice riding on the gravel up the Holly Flats , tons of Rhododendron growing along the river side covering the mts in this area.

More pix along the way on Bald River rd heading toward Wildcat rd.

We rode a few miles up the Cherohala Skw to North River rd.. while taking a water break under the bridge we met a couple Indiana fellows cking out the East Tennessee landscape, after a nice visit we headed down North River rd back to the Jeep and had a picnic along the Tellico River....
    Great day for old folks like us !

Hope to see the Indiana guys next time they come south !:deal
    popscycle, klaviator and NxtGoRnd like this.
  17. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:

Nice to have met you both , wish we had more time to visit , but hey ,I remember what it was like when you only have so much time cause ya have to get back home and go to work !!!:lol3 Sorry I never thought to get a pic to post on the ride report , if you happened to get one go ahead and post it... let me know next time y'all come down... Most the pix above are on the road I was telling you about..
    rmunch44 likes this.
  18. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    Posted by Double M

"Love your ride report! I hope to get my wife to ride along with me some day. She rides pillion and just bought her a tw200 to practice on dirt roads around here.
    Like seeing those old bridge pictures as well. We have a swing bridge that is still operational which was made by American Bridge and Truss in 1905 at the RR I work for. "

Thanks for the comment DoubleM
    So cool about the old bridges , I spent most my life building barns and I have always been interested in the old buildings and bridges...sure had to be tuff building things with what they had to work with back then ..

I been hearing a lot about the TW 200 lately .... I was reading on the "TAT group" on Face Book , some guys are doing the TAT on TW 200s !!! I think everyone should ride what ever they are comfortable on , and if you have to lower it , cut the seat , drop the fork tubes or what ever , so what , if it makes it where it's fun to ride , ain't that why we do it ! I had to do all that to the DR 650 that Barb rides ,( she's 5'3") and she is having a ball riding that thing... she ain't gona be jumping any logs with it any how !! :deal

Good luck with your wife on the TW..
  19. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    [QUOTE=wvdirtbiker;26506188]Enjoyed your pictures and comments. Beautiful country. It's good to see young folks out on their motorcycles enjoying themselves.
    I like your idea of taking a picture of the ID plates on older bridges.[/QUOTE]

Thx for looking WVdirtbiker , glad you like the pix , we have a blast ! :clap
  20. OldTriumphRider

Oddometer:
    IMGP0002.JPG Short ride around Citico Ck and Farrs Gap

one of the many places to camp above Double Camp

IMGP0008.JPG

and a couple hrs of R&R in Citico Ck...Beautiful day
    IMGP0016.JPG IMGP0015.JPG
    ibar132, klaviator and NxtGoRnd like this.