E32 IPHONE/IPAD MAPS

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Mexico, Central & South America' started by pepetrueba, Sep 28, 2018.

1. pepetrueba

pepetrueba PEPEBAJA

Oddometer:
    Gents:
    Omar finally released their app for Mexico topo maps for Iphone and Ipads
    Downloaded and purchased for my Ipad and Iphone
    Have not tested in yet but looks like a winner for smarthphone user that are moving away from dedicated GPS

http://cartografiagps.com/en/app-e32-gps.php
  2. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    What exactly did you purchase? I think the E32 app is free.
    I keep looking at the app...can't figure out how this is going to work for Omar (i.e., how's the company going to stay in business). The app is free, right? Includes all the E32 maps, at no cost? I just don't understand why cartografiagps.com would do this.

I have (purchased) the E32 maps for my garmin gps/BaseCamp and they're excellent, btw. I almost never use my garmin gps anymore as well, although I do use BaseCamp to create tracks for my phone-based gps.
  3. pepetrueba

pepetrueba PEPEBAJA

Oddometer:
    :)
    Biggest feature on their "free" does not let you download map sections on areas you will be traveling
    I do have as comparison an Android phone with osmand maps and on my Iphone and Ipad several maps including: pocket maps pro, terramap, pocket earth, Here, maps.me, Galileo, Osmand Maps and Topo Maps, but they do NOT show all the minor trails, dirt roads, single tracks,etc that the E32 map shows.
    I sold my Garmin Montana many years ago and did have the E32 map and the maps where spot on.

The E32 app that was just released , the mapset has all the latest changes i can tell surrounding the cities of Ensenada, Cabo and Tijuana
    It would be the equivalent of Topo 2018 for Mexico.
    I paid at the current exchange rate 52.00 for one license and 26.00 for two additional devices

Again, I have not tested downloading the area I plan on traveling, but I do have a future trip to Ensenada and plan on testing it and will give you my opinion

this was pasted from part of the email I received from E32

• With SEARCH button, you can perform the following searches:
      - Points of interest included in the map E32
      - Directions and POIS of Apple Maps database
      - Personal waypoints and tracks
    • Create routes to reach your destination using Apple Maps database (does not work with the map E32 database)
    • Download Map E32 regions for OFF LINE use, these regions are stored on your device within the app that way you have them available when you go for an adventure
    • All iPhone and iPad 3G have internal GPS antenna so as long as you have satellite signal the device will give your position, this combines with MAP E32 OFF LINE MAPS allows you to go OUTDOORS without relying on internet.
    • The TRIP COMPUTER function records the following data: ELEVATION, DISTANCE, maximum speed, average speed, current speed, moving time, stopped time, total time and coordinates. These data can be reset when you decide.
    • Compass function integrated into the application
    • With the MEASURE function you can draw a line on the map leaving points, the line may be in the form and amount of points you wish and the app will tell you the distance.
    • The satellite icon will indicate the quality of the signal
    • General Settings Panel
  4. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks, so it sounds like there are..."in-app purchases?" I'll look into this a bit more and report back what I find. I haven't downloaded the E32 app yet, but the app itself is free and there is no mention anywhere of "purchase" or pricing.

Maybe @Omarin can check in here and give us more information. :D
  5. Omarin

Omarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Guys, thank you Pepe Trueba for starting this post, we are glad that you like our map, we keep working hard to improve every day.

The Map E32 app download from app store is free but this is a free trial so taht you can check the app and play around with it so you can decide if you want to buy the PRO version since the free trial has limitations.

here are some links:
    app download https://itunes.apple.com/mx/app/map-e32/id1423329358?mt=8
    youtube channel with 17 tutorial videos https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpVOCN1smpeQdGaBfO6e4CzV8nS3qMZex

02 750 x 1334.jpg 03 750 x 1334.jpg 04 750 x 1334.jpg 05 750 x 1334.jpg

Any doubts I can gladly help out.

Regards
    Omar Ortiz
    Director of Cartografia GPS
  6. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thanks Omar--can you post the pricing information for the Pro version? I can't seem to find it anywhere on your website or the App Store.
  7. Omarin

Omarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    it is $1200 mexican pesos but there is a release 20% discount till october 31 2018 so it might be around $50 USD, and you pay inside the app configuration / purchase PRO version and you pay with paypal,

The Map E32 licence is personal and can be used in the device where the user logs in. To use your license in more than one device simultaneously, you can buy up to two additional licenses at a special discounted price 50% off each.
  8. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  9. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded the app to the iPhone and paid the MX1200 fee

Problems began immediately in the download for offline use process. To manage this, you manipulate a "radio" or my better term, "radius" button which can be resized, which is nothing more than a small circle on a map within which the actual map tiles will be sent to your device. Then click download. I hope I'm doing this wrong and that there is a smarter way - because this approach is almost unmanageable. I watched the video on YouTube and didn't see a way to just download all of Mexico at once.

I did post on their FB page:

"So far I am having the most difficult time downloading the entire map of Mexico to my iPhone. I watched the video. Is there any way to download the entire country in a way more simple than moving the radio button?"

and the answer:

"we are working on it... to improve time of download, the recommendation is download only the areas you are visiting... and choose a radio and leave it downloading overnight , by now is the solution .."

I offered that moving and downloading what appears to be many small circles on your supposed route seems tedius and doesn't allow for much opportunity to go off route while in Mexico. An option to download the entire country or at least major portions of it seems better.
  10. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    I don't (yet!) have this app, but sounds very similar to the way the MotionX GPS app works. I'm guessing you can zoom in/out on the map until the circle encompasses the entire country. Then press download and be prepared to wait awhile (lotsa map tiles to download).

-Super Nobody
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I tried that, but zooming out only makes the "radius of download" circle - I just made that term up - tiny.

I was thinking along your lines - just zoom out and widen the circle to fit half or more of Mexico. Maybe I did it wrong, but I don't think so. Also, I edited my quote above.
  12. Omarin

Omarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Tricepilot, in current version 1.0.2 of the app Map E32 the maximum radius for a download is 50 km but in version 1.0.3 that will be released in a couple of days the maximum radius will be 100 km, the app and the iphone can not work as a garmin GPS where you have all mexico in internal storage, in the app you have the map if you have internet and for places where you dont have internet and depending an the free space on the device you can download the areasI mentioned, we are working on an additional way to download tiles that will be based on a track, so you will be able to select a track and download 4 km on the suroundings of that track as template. regards
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just to give readers a sense of what is being talked about, above are examples of the download circles - at their current maximum radius - that we're talking about. As just mentioned above, they are about to make them double this size.
  14. Omarin

Omarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know that it would be wonderful to think inthe idea of downloading all mexico in map E32 app in just on tap, but just to give you a context of what we are talking about is that all the map is around 80 million tiles (square images of the map) and around 80 GB, do you think an iphone can manage that?

We are working to improve the download map feature for off-line use. Map E32 as well as other applications for out doors that enables the user to download map tiles to the mobile there is always certain limitations it is impossible to compare an app that manages millions of map tile images located in a cloud with a Garman GPS that can store a vector compressed file. There is not an easy way to store on your mobile this kind of data (full map) for off-line use, if you have Internet you have all this information available but you can’t have all Mexico for example stored on your device as I said we are working to improve and make an easier way for users to download at least Baja. We also can’t make download map function with no limits because we would crash the server. For example another very good navigation app that manages highly detailed maps of all the world called motion X GPS works the same way if you want to download for off line use a detailed map region of 100 km diameter it takes hours to download, you can’t exit the app while it’s downloading and it is around 1.2 TB which means that no iPhone has this type of free space so it is impossible and you need to select a significant smaller area. This is just to make a point that highly detailed maps are very large files that as long as you have Internet you don’t have a problem but for off-line use there is always an issue
    Regards
  15. Omarin

Omarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We just released version 1.0.3 of the Map E32 app that includes several improvements among which stand out: 1. It grew to 100 km the maximum radio download of maps for offline use. 2. You can now have the option to buy between 3 different licenses (basic, intermediate and pro) with different costs according to your needs and at any time you can upgrade if you wish.

Attached Files:

16. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    i recently made my older iphone SE into a dedicated ipod and GPS. There is no SIM card in the phone anymore but it has 64GB of memory.

Assuming I can download the specific maps before heading down to Baja and use WiFi to download other maps while traveling, can I still use the GPS functionality of the iphone without the SIM card?

I have another set of maps on my Garmin Rino and would like to purchase the Map E32 app for the iphone rather than the GPS. Will that work?
  17. Omarin

Omarin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello the app E32 for IOS does not need a sim card to work, but I dontknow if the iphone it self needs sim card to work the gps antena propperly I think i does not but I suggest to make a google search, you can download map tiles of the map E32 with wifi to use off line. if the final question is what do I think is best A: map E32 on a Garmin GPS or the app E32 on iphone I would say the map E32 on a GPS it is more reliable. regards
  18. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Thank you !
  19. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    The phone's gps capability should not be affected by the lack of a sim card. You should be good to go.
  20. The Fist

The Fist Knulp

Oddometer:
    Perfect. Thanks Magus.