Eagle, AK

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Lone Rider, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Is it worth a visit?
    What's there that's cool?
  2. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    A big chunk of AK history. It at one time was a military outpost w/ a shitload of cavalry there to keep those pesky Canucks from getting out of line. Cool place. Look up the history on the 'net first so you've got an idea of what you're seeing.

Might want to check out the 40 Mile district too... which is on the way to Eagle. I assume you're doing the route from Dawson City to Tok? You'll find lots of info on that run by looking at the biggest thread in this forum. Title's something like "Over the Top", or similar.
  3. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    My favorite time spent in Alaska was in Eagle! I was lucky to get there when the ferry had broken down and the town was populated only by the locals. Living in the lower 48, we don't really understand what it's like to be part of a community. Sure we have social contacts but for the most part we don't depend on everyone else to survive. They do in Eagle. Everybody looks out for everyone else, and that's true of just about all of Alaska but this is a good place to see it. Really good people, a couple hundred Alaskans (a few Germans canoeing), the majesty of the Yukon River, and 10,000 bears. It's about 80 some miles of good dirt/gravel road from the Taylor hwy. and you'll have to backtrack a little ways for a beer but it's worth it. Nice clean campground, good B&B and a motel/cafe on the river.

I spent 4 days there. It was a great place for me to slow down and get to know what it's like to be in a small Alaskan community hundreds of miles from anywhere. Yeah, if you've got the time it might just be your seminal Alaskan experience.
  4. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks legion,
    Slow connection but I've been able to pull some stuff.
    Yeah, from Dawson.
  5. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Did you stay at the Falcon Inn or Eagle Trading?
    Is there not beer in Eagle? :1drink
  6. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Falcon Inn B&B. Marlys and Charley own it. While I was there all of the other guests were Alaskans who went out of their way to be there. Pretty cool. Good stories, too. Ask them about the 'end-of-the-roaders'. People who have gone to the end of civilization and then some. I ran into one on a hike. The guy walked out of the forest like he'd just walked out of the jungles of Vietnam only he looked right through me. To him, I wasn't there. He also had a dog on a rope that looked suspiciously like a wolf ....

No beer, but there's a place about ten miles back up the road outside the city limits with plenty of good beer.

The campground was very nice but my first night there I had a run in with a rather large brown (black) bear. The accommodations at the Falcon were very comfy. Lots of places to hike to.
  7. AirForce

AirForce Abbey Normal

Oddometer:
    Ditto on the campground...I stayed there this summer but I didn't have a bear encounter. The road from the Taylor on up to Eagle is well worth the trip.
  8. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks to everybody.
    Looking forward to the ride tomorrow.