Ear plugs for small ear canals?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by lacofdfireman, Oct 21, 2019.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m searching for some ear plugs I can wear all day long. I must have either very sensitive ears or small ear canals because i haven’t found anything I can wear for more than an hour or two without severe pain. I’ve tried different Howard Leight style foam plugs like the Max, Max Light Laser light etc but they all hurt after an hour or two when installed I to the ear canal properly. If I just barely put them in then they don’t irritate m ear canal near as much but they also don’t filter out wind noise etc like they should either.

I’ve also tried the Etymotic ER6i which many people love but they hurt also despite trying different style plug ends.

I’ve tried wax ear plugs and also some diy custom molded ones without success.

Wondering if someone out there has the same challenges i do and has found something that works? I have a 6hr commute to work and need something that doesn’t kill my ears.

Any suggestions?
  2. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My ear canals are small. I use the silicone Moldex Rockets. (There seems to be a foam plug by the same name.)

Years ago I got the reusable assortment from Aerostich and the Moldex Rockets were the ones that I selected then and have used since then. There's also another plug in that assortment that looks good for small ear canals but it wasn't a good fit for me.

This year I had custom earplugs made and I'm still using Moldex Rockets because they are far more comfortable and also attenuate noise more than the custom ones.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
  4. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
  5. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    Not trying to be a smartazz but I’d be working on 2 issues you have!
    First—The ears —-
    But more so, —the “6 hour” commute, that’s gotta hurt way worse than the ears.
    I feel for ya man.
    Suncoaster likes this.
  6. Chaostrophy

Chaostrophy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I backed a Kickstarter for EarJellies, they've been great. I have similar issues with earplugs, I also had a set of custom in ear monitors, those are good, but $$$. EarJellies are supposed to be available retail really soon now, so give them your email? https://earjellies.com/ I find their small to not cut sound enough, large doesn't fit well enough to stay in, but any of the middle 3 sizes are great. I use them for sleeping too, the block voices very well, better than foam in my view, for bit wind noise and sleeping, and comfort.
  7. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    I hope they work for you. I really just lucked-out with these as I simply Google searched for "ear plugs for small ears" or some such thing and these came up, had decent reviews on Amazon and were cheap enough to take a chance on.

I have hearing loss and tinnitius so I always wear hearing protection when riding and doing any other noisy activity. When I can do so (lawn mowing, power tools, etc.) I wear ear muffs with 37DB NRR. I've been told by the ear doc that I have small, twisty ear canals and that is why plugs either didn't seal well or were painful.

These plugs have worked well. As with all ear plugs you do have to insure that they are inserted properly, and sometimes I have to put them in and out a couple of times to get them to seat/seal right. Once seated they do an adequate job of reducing noise, do not stick out enough to hit my helmet liner, and they cause me no pain at all. They clean up fine with soap and water. Overall I am very happy with them for less than $20.
  8. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have very small ear canals. I tried many, and settled on 3M E-A-Rsoft Yellow Neon Blast foamies in the late 1990s. Been wearing them since then on every ride, and to sleep at night, so I go thru quite a few. I used to get them from industrial supply houses, but now I buy 'em by the thousand for about $65 on Amazon. Not the slightest bit of discomfort. YMMV of course.
  9. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Inky

Inky Got paint?

Oddometer:
    I used the squishey ones that they have at the grocery store for SWIMMING. Not sure if those were the wax ones that you have tried. But they are considerably more comfortable for me. Good luck!
  11. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Been doing it for 9 years. 7 more to go until retirement. I’m on the downhill slope. It’s easy going from here.
  12. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    I need to find a source that sells like a
    Package of 10 different types and I can test them all. Don’t want to spend $65 for a thousand then have them not work.
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  13. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
    You have all my respect for doing that! Is it daily?
    I am retired a few years but I recall when the business moved to a new location and upgraded facility on the edge of town, and I could no longer walk to work and had to drive 8 minutes, I was upset. :dirtdog
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  14. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
    You wanted stuff for small ears. I have that, too. Isolate works best by far for NR and long term comfort. Supplied with several different sizes of repaceable pads for the ears. Top notch kit.
  15. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Link!
  16. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Not every day for sure. I’m a Fireman in Los Angeles but live in Utah. I’ll trade my work days around or work overtime shifts so that I go to work for anywhere from 3-7 days at a time and just work straight through. Then I’ll go home for about that long. So 3 maybe 4 round trips per month typically. But it still gives me about 40-45k miles per year commuting.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  17. KingOfFleece

Oddometer:
  18. marco polo

marco polo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have small ear canals, as confirmed by an audiologist. I went to the audiologist this past May, to have ear impressions made. I then sent those to The Ear Plug Superstore to have custom plugs made. I got the canal type, and they fit well, and are very comfortable, as in all-day comfortable. Obviously, they are more expensive than disposable types etc., but in my view, it was money well spent. Oh yeah, the audiologist first sent me to an ENT office, to have the wax removed fro my ears, before she would make the impressions.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  19. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    PM a mailing addy and I'll send a handful of the Soft Blasts you can try. BTW, I'm also a Moto-Jug owner. :^)
    lacofdfireman likes this.
  20. tridawg

tridawg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem. Try the silicone plugs you can get at Walgreens or probably any drug/grocery store. I tear em in half. Work good and I can use em all day without any issues. Cheap enough too so you can use another pair every day or so if want.