early morning rides

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerryH, Jul 8, 2019.

1. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the past 3 weeks or so, I have been getting up at 5:00 AM, getting on my Cali Classic, and going for about a 2 hour ride, on streets with speed limits of 45 mph or less. This is before rush hour traffic, and the streets are mostly empty. People are out jogging, walking dogs, and riding bicycles. The little scooter has been completely trouble free. I discovered I feel better for the rest of the day after doing this. Sometimes I stop at NcDonalds for coffee, sometimes I carry some coffee in a thermos under the seat. It is actually a bit chilly at 5:00, and is still very tolerable by 7:00. I have found 3 different routes so far that take about 2 hours to ride.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you have been able to get out and ride. If I lived there I'd probably be getting up early to ride too.
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to hear that you're out and about! We need to get you to post pics of your adventures.

Eric
  4. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Not sure what to post pictures of. The Phoenix area is extremely boring. I have not ridden past anything interesting. I am still planning on a 2-3 day trip up north this summer on the Vespa. It is a LOT nicer up in the mountains. If I get up at around 4:00 Am and take off, I can get up there before the Phoenix heat wave hits. ride several hours a day, visit several small towns up there, and spend the night in motels.
  5. Wolfeboats

Wolfeboats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That sounds perfect. I'd be leaving tomorrow!

Nobody knows how many tomorrow's they have.
    klaviator and Dan V. like this.
  6. Scooterwolf

Scooterwolf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's something great about the early morning. The only time when a person can have the world to themselves without out anyone crazy to bother them. A world within a world.

- Wolf
  7. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sunrise, the dessert has it's own beauty! The part of the forum is so much more enjoyable to visit when folks share their travels.
    kpinvt, conchscooter and klaviator like this.
  8. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^What he said. Sunrise and sunset are the best times to take pics. Just take a pic of your scooter with the sun rising behind it.
    The Virginian likes this.
  9. OldSchool1959

OldSchool1959 Coolest grandpa in the family

Oddometer:
    I’ve been doing similarly here in the tropical climate of Maryland. On Saturday and Sunday mornings I get up at 0600 and roll the Burgman 400 out of the garage. I typically ride down into Annapolis, Riva, Edgewater and other spots along the water and cruise until around 0730. I stop at the Bean Rush coffee shop for breakfast and head home right around 0wifehundred. I avoid the traffic, the mid-day heat/afternoon t-storms and get in my therapy early. Once a month I even stop for gas. I will snap some pics next week and post them up.
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  10. CashCow

CashCow Rocketeer

Oddometer:
    I still work for a living, so I ride the little 0.8 mile commute to the office at around 7:00.

But not many things are more fun for me than getting on the road early in the morning starting a long ride.

My two Saddle Sore 1000's began at 4:00 AM.

And I like to leave before sunrise on rides to North Carolina and beyond.

Watching the sun come up on the scooter is always a nice experience.

Bill
    kpinvt, The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  11. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Glad to hear you're getting out, Jerry. I know you have referred to the summer there as a non-riding time, but I think this is a good solution. We went out for breakfast on the scoots this morning... not 5:00am, but shortly after the restaurant opened. Our heat is different from yours: you have the "dry heat" which seems like it can bake your brain if out in the mid-day sun. We have the "wet heat" which is more like what a "steamed lobster" experiences. Swamp ass occurs in seconds. There is a minor difference if you can find some shade - instead of "Gates of Hell" kinda heat, it is more like "3 feet from the Gates of Hell" kinda heat. And we generally have less than a 10º difference from daytime high to nighttime low.

Still, my morning walk and bicycle ride are more tolerable than the afternoon and evening walks. That's the price we pay to not have to shovel any white crap during the winter months, I guess. :knary Hope you are able to get that trip to the mountains in soon.

And, as they used to write in high school yearbooks: Stay cool! :-)
    The Virginian and klaviator like this.
  12. Steve_h

Steve_h Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Jerry has come up with a very good solution to the heat problems. I could stay up to ride in the morning but I don't know that I'd ever be able to get up to ride. It's just too early and I'm not a morning person.
  13. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The humidity is quickly going up. We are getting into monsoon season. The humidity will be about 60% for the rest of the summer, and there will be huge dust storms almost every evening.

I have been unable to take pictures with the sun in the background. It washes everything out. It is almost impossible to take pictures here with my camera unless you are in the shade or the sun is directly overhead.

It is always cooler super early in the morning, just before first light. The sun has been gone long enough to let things cool down a bit. Out in the country away from concrete and asphalt, the temperatures can go from 65 degrees at 4:00 AM to 115 degreed at 2:00 PM

I have a dark tinted face shield, but I still get almost completely blinded riding toward the sun. I have had 2 minor car accidents from trying to drive into the setting sun. Now if I get caught going west at that time of the day, I just pull off the road and wait it out. Pointed east.
    kantuckid likes this.
  14. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saved the afternoon yesterday to move gravel via tractor bucket from an 15 ton pile in the sun to a steep woods road that gets into a cabin site I have in my plans. Load up was HOT, travel back there was some shade and back in it was cooler. I got ~ 6' coverage from each bucket on the road-tedious to say the least. Overall it was hot! and hotter rest of week. As we age our bodies don't tolerate heat so well.
    One son, who spent 7-8 yrs in/@ Tempe/ASU did nearly every summer weekend escaping to N of PHX into cooler environs, mostly bicycle/hike/fish stuff. He said nearly nobody is seen in PHX summers outside except for a commute or shopping. When we are there in the winter,(28 degrees in Patagonia SP, CG!) they are all outside playing, blowing money, so on.
  15. BUZZARD II

BUZZARD II Old Geezer

Oddometer:
    Scoot, bike or trike I try to get out each morning to beat the heat. Rolling through Virginia horse, wine and apple country and seeing the mist rising off the Shenandoah River reaching for the Blue Ridge makes retirement all I ever hoped for.

Winter, I wait for mid afternoon and enjoy the invention of heated grips and vests. Coffee fuels either ride for different reasons.
  16. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
    It's cold, damp and foggy every morning here next to the Bay, and rush hour starts very early on the West Coast because so many people work in businesses that have to be up and running when the East Coast goes to work. By 6 am the BART trains are standing room only, the Bay Bridge is jammed up and the freeways are packed all over. Not so much fun. By 10:30 it's much nicer weather, and a bit less crazy on the streets.

Inland 10 miles the mornings are beautiful, cool and calm and sunny. You just have to go pretty far to find a peaceful ride on a country road.
    gumshoe4 likes this.
  17. BigCanoe

BigCanoe Monkey Vespa Man

Oddometer:
    This time of year in NC early morning is the best! Its not yet 90 and 90% humidity just yet!
    CaptnJim likes this.
  18. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here in Sacramento, we get the dry inland valley heat this time of year. Early morning is the time to get out on the bike. I generally head east, for the higher elevations and cooler temperatures of the Sierra Nevada. Usually try to be home no later than 3PM, unless I'm piling on the miles...3PM is when the evening commute begins.

In the valley, late summer:

DSC00750.JPG

In the mountains, late summer:

DSC00896.JPG
  19. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here it is nippy in the morning, if you left at 5 it would be in the mid 40s most mornings. Things start getting pleasant around 9 when it is closer to 60 most days. We've topped out so far this summer in the mid 70s. At our altitude that's pretty toasty in the sun.
    Wentwest likes this.
  20. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Here in the summer it tops out around 85 degrees up on the rim, around Payson at around 8,000 feet. It will be cooler still on top of a mountain like the San Francisco peaks, but there is no way to get up there. While going through Nevada in early June, I saw snow on top of the mountains, and it was in the mid 40s at night. And that is at a very low altitude. Other than Death Valley (which is nice in the winter) the Phoenix valley is probably the hottest place in the U.S. temperature wise. And the "dry" heat does not last all summer. When monsoon season hits around the middle of July (it's about that time) the humidity goes way up.

I took a couple of pictures this morning with my flip phone, but they did not come out good enough to post. Next time I'll take the actual camera, but it is a 20 year old $50 Walmart camera. I had some unexpected financial issues recently, and can't afford to invest in a nice camera.