early morning rides

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerryH, Jul 8, 2019.

1. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took a morning ride for breakfast and found I was underdressed in jeans and a GoGoGear hoodie. Good thing it was only 3 miles or my thighs would have been numb by the time we got there. It was 51f at 8:10 when we left. A bit warmer at 61 after breakfast. I’ve got more errands to do before I head home and it is supposed to be 73 later today.
  2. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow what a difference. It was 87f this morning around 8:00 here. It is 108f right now at 11:20 And the humidity is HIGH.
  3. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Humidity is 35%
  4. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I went for a ride this morning. No pictures. I hadn't gotten very far when the back wheel hit a huge pothole. It messed up my back bad. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow. I may have ruptured a disc. I need to get a referral to an orthopedic doctor and get an MRI to see what is going on in there. I had back surgery back in 1979, I hope I don't have to have it again. I'm laying in the bed on a laptop. Half the freeways around here are closed for roadwork, but they can't fix the city streets.
  5. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dang, Jerry! Hope it's not serious. It always hurts worse when I'm not expecting the bump.
  6. DandyDoug

DandyDoug Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed that you don't need surgery .
  7. ysrebob

ysrebob yessiree, Bob.

Oddometer:
    4416b.jpg
    On the other side of the country... Sunday morning sunrise, farm country of the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia.

I have taken to hauling around a 1gal jerry can of gas. The Super Cub theoretically has a ~1gal gas tank but I've never been able to pump in more than 0.7gal from empty, which is a range of under 100 miles. Having the extra gallon of gas along stretches that to 200 miles comfortably. Although really gas stations are never very far apart around here.

Jerry, hope you mend soon!
    kpinvt, MYUMPH and The Virginian like this.
  8. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Hope it’s nothing serious. FYI, laying in bed on a laptop is not good for your back or the laptop :deal
  9. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Sorry to hear this, Jerry. I hope you are able to get some relief quickly and that the Dr can get you rolling again without surgery. Keep us posted.
  10. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said...get well soon Jerry
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I saw my regular doctor today. He gave me prescriptions for methocarbamol and gabapentin. It greatly reduced the pain, but makes me too woosey to ride or even drive. I got a referral to an orthopedic doctor but it will be almost 2 weeks before I can see him. I inspected the scooter (the Cali Classic 125) and expected to find a bent rear wheel, but didn't find anything. I just recently put a new rear tire on it. Because of my weight I over inflate my tires. I have about 40 psi in them. I don't know if there was any tire damage or not, I wasn't paying any attention to the way it rode because I was in so much pain and just paid attention to getting home safely. I hadn't had any sleep since this happened because of the pain. I slept all day today after taking the medication. Hopefully I will be riding again soon. It shouldn't be too long now till the temperature starts cooling down and I can go for longer rides, unless the orthopedic doctor finds damage that requires surgery. I had the L5 disc removed when I was 20. If another one has to be removed there will be a noticeable loss of mobility. Hopefully that won't happen.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    We all hope for a speedy recovery. Take care of yourself!
    kpinvt likes this.
  13. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I want to thank everybody for their concern and support. It is very much appreciated. I should be fine. Right now I am taking muscle relaxers. There is still pain, but nothing like it was. I barely made it from the bed to my desk. It took me 10 minutes to type this because I kept hitting the wrong keys. This is some strong stuff I am taking. I hope to be riding again soon.
  14. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing worse than good weather and not being able to ride. I hope you get better and able to ride again soon.

I did some early morning rides to beat the heat the last couple of days. I got this pic on one of them.

[​IMG]
  15. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spectacular photo!
    klaviator and The Virginian like this.
  16. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amazing photo! Desktop material right there.
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here yesterday was the hottest day on record ever @ 100 degrees. I had a guy helping me put new shingles on my storage building (roof is 40' long by 26' wide). He toted the shingles up the ladder, every single one of them!:-) yesterday when it was one degree less. I paid him a "heat tip"!!!:jack
    "Backwise" the helper guy is 42 years old, has a spine scar ~ 12" long and recovered as you can see. He carried the shingles a bundle at a time too.

Meanwhile, I now have appointments with two different back docs, both at U of KY, one is in the ortho sports medicine dept (where my hip/knee doc works) while the other doc is in neurosurgery dept..
    Seemingly, to my non-medical mind, they have different approaches to solving the problems of a bad/worn out back? Time and my new MRI will tell that tale...
    Jerry, hang in there! My heat is NOT! the drier heat of AZ BTW...:lol2
  18. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    As bad as it is, imagine if the front wheel had hit that pothole!
  19. JerryH

Oddometer:
    It is amazing the front wheel did not hit the pothole. Must have just barely missed it. I never saw it. My fault for not looking where I was going. There was no other traffic on that road, and I was looking around at things and not keeping my eyes on the road. It happened so quickly. A major jolt and I felt like I had been stabbed in the back. With my 240 pounds sitting upright on the seat, there had to be quite a bit of force involved. When I can I will go back and get a picture of that pothole. A few years ago, a rider crashed when he hit the edge of a manhole cover that was sticking up about 4i inches above the road. It should have had cones and yellow tape around it, but it didn't. They were doing road work on that section, but the road was open to traffic. He sued the city and won.
    kpinvt likes this.
  20. JerryH

Oddometer:
    42 is way to old to be doing that kind of work. I am in the condition I'm in because I did not get out of what I was doing soon enough. I simply wore myself out. Not only is my back bad, but every single joint is worn out, all my muscles, tendons and ligaments are stretched and torn, I am stiff as a board. Trying to move is painful and takes a lot of effort. I also have a curvature of the spine. I tried to join the military at 18, and they found it and turned me down. I never knew I had it until then. Two years later I had back surgery to remove a disc. The doctor told me my back condition probably contributed to the injury. My mistake was staying with what I was doing too long instead of preparing myself for a less physically stressful job. But I'm blue collar through and through, not just in what I do, but in philosophy as well. I believe blue collar workers are the ones that get things done. I hated the idea of sitting behind a desk. But if I had, I most likely would not be in the condition I'm in now. But the damage is done, and now I have to live with it. It will slo9wly start cooling down soon. It should be noticeably cooler by the end of the month. And as fate would have it, I can't ride right now. Doctors orders.