early morning rides

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by JerryH, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Dan V.

Dan V. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh boy, we have gotten off track with out health issues again - lots of us older guys and gals here with similar issues :wave. All of us have read the thread about Conchscooter's accident; one thing I took away from that is how he felt that his practice of yoga had gotten him thru the recovery quicker.

So I looked into the mysteries of yoga, and found that it is mostly stretching. After my first class I got out of bed the next day with much less stiffness. So now I have found classes at a senior center that have been very beneficial and easy on my Dutch wallet as well.

Jerry, if I can make a suggestion that may be of help to use and your stiffness - look on line for "chair yoga" videos and give it a chance. Hopefully it will be beneficial. There is probably a senior center near you that offers classes as well. The instructors are well trained, and know how to work with those with physical issues. Worth a try - better that dealing with pain.

Here's to better days! :beer
    klaviator, kpinvt, rlkat and 3 others like this.
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    One other suggestion for those like me with degenerative disc disease - While I was in asheville I spent some time using a friend's Teeter inversion table. Not only was the difference I noticed immediate, it was significant. No need to spend $300 - $500 for one, I just kept an eye on the Facebook Marketplace and picked up a nice used one for $100 yesterday. I plan to use it twice per day, about 5 minutes each time. Easing the amount of tension and compression on the discs in my back directly translates into more seat time on the bike. Highly recommended!
  3. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing and found one on Craigslist for $100. Score!

First time I used it on its tallest setting, when I rotated down I bonked my head hard on the floor. Apparently they're not made for someone 6'4". :doh

Gave it away to a friend that could use it..
    klaviator, DandyDoug, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  4. Bueller

Oddometer:
    6'4" is dam close to the limit. The limit on mine is 6'6". With only a two inch margin of error you'd better have the ankles adjusted correctly and set up to keep you from moving!
    The Virginian likes this.
  5. JerryH

JerryH To Each Their Own Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is definitely compression involved. Sitting or standing makes it hurt a lot worse. Laying in the bed and stretching out helps a lot. Since most of my excess weight is above my lower back, it makes sense that would help.
    The Virginian likes this.
  6. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Things just aren't going my way. First the back injury, and now, because of a fall caused by the back injury, I have a broken nose. Guess I should have been wearing my helmet in the bedroom. I tripped over a cord, fell and hit my nose on the corner of a desk. Now my back hurts even more too. I think the ER is getting tired of me.
  7. Bueller

Oddometer:
    Omg, that’s awful. Hope you have a better run going forward.
    klaviator and Chillis like this.
  8. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Wandering (but based in the Tropical Tip of Texas)
    Damn, Jerry - so sorry to hear this! Take it easy (not like you have other options) - hope for a quick healing for your back and your nose.
    Chillis likes this.
  9. Ride2Live/Live2Ride

Ride2Live/Live2Ride On the road again Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your bad luck Jerry. Hope nothing else happens while you heal.
    Chillis likes this.
  10. sro99

sro99 one odd owl

Oddometer:
    Dude, take that cord out to the desert and shoot and bury it.
    kpinvt and Chillis like this.
  11. JerryH

Oddometer:
    I have degenerative everything disease. Despite the fact that I have not seen the orthopedic doctor yet, I just had to go for a ride. It was painful, but I avoided any potholes. It's been painful even sitting in my computer chair, which I paid almost $400 for, so it is not one of those $20 Walmart specials. Sitting on or in anything is painful.

IMG0053B.jpg IMG0054A.jpg IMG0056A.jpg

The top picture is another view out of the McDonalds window. It may look like the other one, but you'll notice the angle and background are different. I sat there for almost 2 hours.

The next two pictures are of the local cemetery, where both my parents are. I've been putting off going out there for quite a while.

Overall it was a decent 25 mile ride. No injuries
    EZMoney, CactusWren, kpinvt and 4 others like this.
  12. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you were able to get out and ride!
  13. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Riding through the pain... I get it, Jerry. Sending good vibes your way for pain-free times ahead.
  14. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Early morning rides for me the last two days, but dual-sporting, not scootering. 20191010_085143.jpg 20191010_091802.jpg
    kpinvt, klaviator and kantuckid like this.
  15. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I can get away from the "every fall frenzy of real work" I need to get in a ride!
    Mark, whats that stone tower thingy?
    I saw my knee guy, got new xrays and he says I've gone beyond a simple meniscus tear and his words of choice were that I've "shredded tissue" surrounding my bothersome knee. Next visit is the doc who cuts, not the PA who does my cortisone shots.
    Noteworthy is that my 3rd knee shot yesterday had the pain reduced, flexibilty much improved and maybe a bit less swelling. My 2nd shot, 3 months ago, the knee really didn't feel that bad but I got it anyway.
    Those cortisone shots are indeed some albeit temporary, like magic. Moral of my knee story is if you play with very large rocks, yer gonna regret it. Being an old fart they always ask if you've fallen (their programmed to ask that stuff) get ready if your younger.
    I said, yes, I was string trimming the steeply sloped base of the cliff behind our home wed/thur and stepped into a hole and hit on my knees.
    For the record, I could barely pick up a dropped tool via a deep knee bend prior to the shot, now, for the time being it works again. Next visit the PA said were are discussing a knee replacement.
    I tell you, old age is like driving a beater car, repairable but a PITA sometimes.
    I celebrated my knee shot by us buying a hydrangea for my SIL's new house in Lexington,KY and planting it for her. Another self gift was a tamping bar as I lost my old one in the woods under the leaves. Nothing like a new tamping bar to try out my knee shot huh?
    Jerry yer not the only decrepit one here.
    Here we go again... repair and play...
  16. bikeridermark

bikeridermark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That stone column is one of several in that gorge that once held up a railroad! Amazing what they did back in those days.
    I've got to find out exactly where that is and do some research on the railroad.
    I was following my buddy with his gps, and I was completely lost most of the time.
    kantuckid, kpinvt and klaviator like this.
  17. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost is good on a scoot. Ohio has some, actually lots of neat rail to trails bike paths too!
    Jim T likes this.
  18. JerryH

Oddometer:
    Unless something goes wrong, I intend to take my first scooter ride in a while tomorrow, to Arlington, AZ. It's a wide spot in the road with a post office, about 75 miles from home. That means a 150 mile round trip. I hope my back holds up. I have a rescue already set up if I need it. This place is out in the middle of nowhere, on low speed roads. I don't even know if it has cell phone service or not.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have a good ride Jerry:ricky
  20. CaptnJim

CaptnJim Scooter Pilot

Oddometer:
    Post a ride report to let us know how you got along with the ride. Good vibes for pain-free riding sent your way.