1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Earplug Test & Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by me3, Jun 30, 2020.

1. me3

me3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I struggle to find earplugs that work for me. Weird shaped head I guess.
    Earplugs that are too "deep" are uncomfortable and seem to upset my balance.
    Earplugs that dislodge when putting on helmets are really annoying
    Foam is uncomfortable after a couple of days.

The best I had found to date was an old set of cutoff sennheiser earphones.

I use UClear bluetooth helmet headset for music / phone etc

• Earasers | Too deep. Seat ok. No dislodge. Med more comfortable
    • Nonoise with inner "bud" cutoff. | Dislodge easily. work ok.
    • Downbeats. | Difficult to insert straight. Unpleasant Vaccuum on removal. No dislodge.
    • Eardial. | Easy insert. Dislodge ok. Little deep.
    • Eargasm. | Difficult to insert. No dislodge. Difficult to remove. Little large. Mild vaccuum.
    • Mudela. | Too deep.
    • Downbeats | very small. Good seal. Too deep. Difficult to remove. Large vaccuum
    • Pinlock. | Difficult to insert. Too deep. Poor seal.
    • Old Sennheiser Earphones Cutoff. | Super comfortable. Work ok. Dislodge easily
    • Custom Moulded - Work well. Took 3 sets to get them both "right". Current favourite.

Mouldable.jpg Earasers.jpg NoNoise Cutoff.jpg Downbeats.jpg Eardial.jpg Eargasm.jpg Mudeela.jpg Downbeats.jpg Pinlock.jpg Sennheiser.jpg
    phreakingeek, Spyrious and Suncoaster like this.
  2. mtbenson

mtbenson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've always had trouble with ear plugs and have found the custom-molded ones work best for me.
  3. badge502

badge502 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Earasers came in yesterday... I was really impressed!!! I hate earplugs... Especially those roll up foam ones, they start to really bug me after a few minutes.
  4. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I started using Shure 215 https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/earphones/se215 ear monitors. they block the noise, fit well and i can use them for my Cardo/phone/music. I use them on the big Adv bike and also recently started using them while riding my KTM 500 exc in the dirt.
    HBSURFDAD likes this.
  5. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    When you say it took 3 sets do you mean you ordered three kits before you got a satisfactory outcome?
  6. me3

me3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mostly cause I'm an idiot
    Partly because it's a little tricky not being able to see your own ears

First set - too deep. (several years ago - scared me off them)
    Second set - half quantity - too small, fall out.
    Third set - one perfect one, one not quite right.
    Fourth set - perfect
    dr. jones and mslim like this.
  7. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ear plugs are like hair cuts, what works for you might not work for anyone else.
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  8. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm with the OP, I see ppl use Howard Leight foam plugs all the time and I just can't wear them for long periods of time - ear fatigue, soreness, feeling tight, etc. I have tried the "cheap" moldable earplugs and they don't sit right and move around (esp if it's hot and my ears sweat), and from what I can tell the super expensive custom molded ones might not be much better - but I don't want to spend to find out.

I have used these for years with great success:
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B06Y29FZ1M?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1&sa-no-redirect=1

I can wear them all day long with no discomfort. They block a great amount of sound but I can still hear the bike, traffic, road noise, and they don't have that "plugged up / stuffed up" head feeling I get w/ foam plugs. I've worn them on many multi-day moto tours day after day for hours on end, and never gave them any thought. Hope this helps!
    Rockred likes this.
  9. _Will_

_Will_ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wore foam ones for years but wanted a little better situational awareness and like others they tended to hurt after a while.

I tried the Pinlock ones and hated the fit which never seemed to block out sound evenly

I've settled on the vibes ear plugs. The comfort isn't perfect but none seem to be and they're far from uncomfortable, more they annoy after around 10 or so hours or repeat days on a trip you just start to notice them more. They do seem to improve the sound clarity of music considerably compared to others I've tried.
  10. dr. jones

dr. jones Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the custom molded (diy) are my favs too, but they do take a couple tries to get right. buy 3-4 sets so you can give them a practice run or two. i also add in earbuds so they can replace the helmet speakers.

these Radians are cheap and do the job.
  11. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the DIY radians for a bit too. Then upgraded to custom molded set. I chose Plugup.com. And couldn't be happier. Comfort? Non issue. Sound quality? Superb. Sound reduction? Way more than the radians ever could. Most likely because the custom molded stuff really fills your ear canal and deep, where the Radian putty doesn't go too far down and isn't as 'liquid' before it sets.
    20200212_065423.jpg 20200212_065359.jpg
  12. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    These work OK for me.

upload_2020-7-1_4-29-4.png
  13. dravnx

dravnx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've tried a couple of the custom ear molds that you can do yourself. Could never get them to fit correctly. Tried the custom molded plugs that they sell at the shows. Tried twice and could never get them to work. Aerostich has a sample kit of ear plugs. I went through all of them and none worked for me. I have stayed with the cheap drugstore foamies. 34 db noise reductions and I can wear them all day.
  14. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    @me3 : you mention a few of the ones you tried are "difficult to insert". Have you tried lube? I read about one inmate who uses a first-aid cream that is both antiseptic and analgesic. I gave it a try and it makes insertion easier and helps reduce discomfort after a long day or week. I have usually used spit which also has antibacterial properties. Recently I have used alcohol-based hand sanitizer. The lube really helps them go in easier and the hand sanitizer makes a good fit even better.

I went to the local audiologist for custom plugs and they don't work as well as the silicone plugs I've used for a long time. The custom ones are harder to get in right and they don't reduce noise as much as the off-the-shelf plugs. I found those silicone plugs (Moldex Rockets) in the Aerostich reusable assortment.

Everyone's ears are different and everyone's needs are different.
  15. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    I don't think shoving anything into an orifice is going to be comfortable over time. Just have to take a periodic break and remove them.
  16. GSWayne

GSWayne Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wasproxy likes this.
  17. MotoMachines

MotoMachines Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Our customers have been really happy with the Alpine plugs. I use them on every ride now and they do not bother me even after hours of use. I used to cut foam plugs in half to help them to sit further in, but they are still uncomfortable. The Alpine is very soft and molds to the ear canal nicely. I also find it works perfectly well with helmet speakers. They block out the annoying wind noise so you can turn up the speakers to hear them more clearly.
    https://www.motomachines.com/alpine-hearing-protection-motorcycle-earplugs
    Rockred and brianpc like this.
  18. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This confirms my suspicion about custom plugs and I'm glad I haven't spent the money to find out.. I'll continue to use these:

^^^^these. Cannot stress enough how all-day comfortable they are and great noise reduction. No i am not a shill or paid influencer (lol!) - I've spent plenty of my own money on several pairs of these plugs and they're fantastic.
  19. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    I spent a hundred thousand plus miles with Howard Leight greenies and they've been great for me. Everyone has a different ear - try a few and see what works best for you.
    MrVvrroomm likes this.
  20. cug

cug Out riding ... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've using Howard Leight Max 1 for the last ten years. They just work for me.
    MrVvrroomm, stegs and KingOfFleece like this.