Earth, Wind and Tires

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BluNozr, Aug 27, 2011.

1. happy camper

happy camper I dont want a pickle

Oddometer:
    Len,

Followed from day 1.

Awesome report of a fantastic experience. thanks for taking us along.

I am about to get out there and have my own experiences. Ushuaia here we come.

Cheers Rosco

:clap:clap :freaky
  2. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Hey Lennie, it seems kind of funny welcoming you home when I'm packing to leave. At least I have some idea of where to ride from reading your report.

Anyway welcome home, it's been a great ride:clap!!

Philip
  3. C-Stain

C-Stain Long timer

Oddometer:

Speaking of which....did you finish the cottage? Get all your last minute accessories? Do you have a clean pair of underwear? Need to get all of us local inmates together to welcome Lenny back and wish you safe travels....

C.
  4. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but NO!!!! I haven't finished the reno's, another 2 or 3 days will see it done and I can live in the same unders for a couple of weeks, I just wear them swimming. No PROBLEMO though, let me know a day ahead of time and I can make it for a party.

Yes welcome home Lennie is a good excuse for a party !!:freaky
  5. Oddball

Oddball Faking it.

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the world class report! I thoroughly enjoyed it.
  6. SR

SR Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome RR! Thanks for taking the time. Excellent!!!
  7. CallMeBoog

CallMeBoog hi functioning idiom

Oddometer:
    great trip Len, Glad you kept us updated and you are home safe.

(i have a dog named Jack too)
  8. HatesSnow

HatesSnow Waiting for Summer

Oddometer:
    Hey Len,

Really enjoyed your RR and was disappointed when it was over. You know, Halifax is a big port - I'm sure there are some container ships heading east that you could get the Ol' Girl onto.... Earth, Wind and Tires RTW?:evil

Thanks for the great read.
  9. Rich Rider

Rich Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Amazing road report Len. I've just come across it a couple weeks ago and wanted to catch up before dropping you a note.

I think you've put Colombia on the map for a bunch of us inmates if/when we make it down there. :thumbup

I loved the fact that you took the northern route around SA hitting the two Guyanas and Suriname. I've never read a RR where anyone has been there, so thanks for that! And hitting Cuba was absolutely brilliant....what a great way to explore that special oasis that is Cuba. Loved that.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us - the highs and lows. Epic is the word.

If you have some time down the road, I think some of us might be interested in the breakdown of your expenses for the trip. Always good to know how these things shake out for those of us still planning. BTW - did the Calgary GSP shop step up and resolve your GPS issue yet?

Welcome home!

Richard
  10. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sadly none that I understood... or entertained.

I know you were around for the whole ride and it was great to know people were following along and dropping comments. Thank you.

Give me a couple of years or a bit of luck on the lottery and there will be another. Thanks for reading and if you know of any good RTW threads I can reference pass them along. Take care.
  11. KLRUSERIOUS?

KLRUSERIOUS? Farkle-whore

Oddometer:
    You deserve all the thanks Lenny! I know its been said already but thanks for taking US on the ride with you!

Hope the daily grind isn't getting you down after such an epic holiday!
  12. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry. I had a great run indeed and I'm now back at work and starting a fund for another journey. I'm hoping for a few short side trips and the Williams Lake area where I met you and Becky looks like it might be worth checking out. I will look you up if I make a run out there and you can show me what those big Katooms will do.

...and yes there is a new girl in the stable. Not as new as the shiny blue one but every bit as fun.

Thanks Rosco. Send a link across to any photos or blogs you are keeping so I can watch. Ride fast and enjoy it.

I know you are on the road now Phil and heading into the great unknown. This will be everything you hoped it will be if you let it happen. Remember "Ithaca" and it will be the time of your life. Safe travels.
  13. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My pleasure Oddball. Sorry it took so long to get back to everyone. I have been avoiding the keyboard lately.

Glad you enjoyed it. I hope to get another one going in a few years.

Thanks LilGreenBooger. It was tough to keep up to date at times but for the most part is gave me a chance to relive it when I sat down at the keyboard. Now that time is reserved for my dog Jack.
  14. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words. You are thinking just what I have been pondering the past month and the planning has started. It is too early to see if it will all come to fruition but if it's still pulling at the heart strings when the bank account is back to normal then I can't see why a RTW journey won't happen. Earth, Wind and Tires?... maybe not but I have a bit of time to find another heading.

Thanks Richard

I was told about Colombia by Crashmaster before I left. He called it to a tee. "You will run through CA and find Colombia and fall in love with it. Ushuaia will pull you south through some of the best riding of your life but Colombia will pull you back north and you won't want to leave." Of course that is paraphrased. Crash don't have the silver tongue like I does. :lol3

The rest of the way was a bit of a collaboration of other riders tracks. Crashmaster (South on Two Wheels), Dirty Bones (From Deadhorse Down) and a healthy helping of great advice and first hand knowledge from SSinVzla. In fact the entire ADVrider community has been very good to me.

Johnny (Throttlemeister) put me in touch with Ludwig on the Stahlratte and the timing worked out to get an experience of a lifetime in Cuba. I have really been lucky.

Insofar as budgets. Well I thought this over a lot before I left and as I travelled but it came down to this advice from a wise relative...

"With an adventure like this budgets will most likely go from whatever you set aside to whatever is available."

Dirty Bones had it down to $65 a day if you played it tight. That didn't include the big ticket items like flights, sailboats and repairs. He mentioned some people who were ultra frugal and were in the $45 a day bracket. Of course you can spend what you like. I had to set aside money for some personal reasons upon my return and missed out on the Antarctica but in the end it's all a personal thing.

I might be lucky enough to pull something like this off again (RTW) but it won't be without significant work. So my advice for anyone who is going would be don't let money stop you from a trip a a lifetime but if you have the cash don't suffer because you think it makes it more of an adventure. Any fool can be uncomfortable in the field and necessity will give you your chance to "rough it".

Finally, yes the GPS issue was solved. GPS Central in Calgary, Alberta were top shelf. They were aware of my problem when if first happened. We exchanged some emails along the way to update them on the GPS and when I got back they replaced it with a new Zumo 660. No questions asked. The issues started well before the year warranty was up and I informed them and they kept fantastic notes and records. I would recommend purchasing from them if you are in the market... only issue now is that I have a new Zumo 660 and no where to go. It's for sale.
  15. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Everything has to end hmmm... why is that so?!
    Thank you for your time, your pics, your videos and your tales! I loved this RR so much: great looking bike, mate and pics of great meals!

I'll be back in for the next RR even if it's just to get to the next starbucks!

When I'm around in Canada be sure that you'll be one of the sight seeing I'll do! :lol3
  16. Parcero

Parcero Mundial Supporter

Oddometer:
    Chicago physically, Colombia en mi mente.
    Welcome home! What a great ride and well-written and truly inspirational RR. I have been studying it for tips as I prepare to continue my journey south in the next couple of months. Thanks for taking all the time to post--I know how hard that can be from the road. :clap:clap
  17. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah reality sucks. On the bright side I have the opportunity to throw a few dollars together to get the next journey on track.

...and if you find yourself roaming the east coast of Canada be certain to drop in.
  18. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Parcero. I was wondering where you have been.

Actually I am waiting to see what you have planned when you get down south. I'm sure no one has to tell you how good Colombia is but you are certainly in for a treat all along the west coast of SA. Have fun!
  19. dvmweb

dvmweb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Len,

Thank you for your great RR. As many have said you, those riders like you, are inspirational.

Walt
    Michigan, USA
  20. nanohiccup

nanohiccup in time

Oddometer:
    What an incredible journey, definitely worth a reread.
    Lenny, thank you for making an impact on so many lives. Ride on brother...

[​IMG]