Earth, Wind and Tires

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by BluNozr, Aug 27, 2011.

1. SteveTheLocal

SteveTheLocal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Len: Greetings from the other side (of Canuckistan). Was it worth taking a hammock...could you use it frequently enough to make it worth the space/weight/packing hassle? If you did it again would you take a tent or just hotel/hostel it?
    Heading down to CA for a couple months and trying to cut down on all of the above but like the quiet places of the camping experience.
    There's always a bed for you here if you make it to the Wet Coast.
  2. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Steve. Thanks for the invite. I may be relocating to the west soon. Maybe we can get out for a ride.

Insofar as the tent/hammock deal... well I wouldn't drag a hammock along next time. No doubt it would have been great on many occasions but for the amount of time I trucked it around and how often I used it, I wouldn't bother. If you change your mind in CA you can pick a conventional one up roadside for about 10 bucks and it will be just fine for any beach stays you might have. The netting on the Hennessy would be great up north with the flies but I just didn't find them that bad in the south. I slept on the beach in Colombia for a week and didn't even swat a fly.

Tent is a different story. You may never use it in CA because a cheap place to stay is always to be found. That said, one or two(or more) nights you may want to camp in a nice spot and you will really miss it then. Of course there are always emergency situations where it will come in handy as well. For CA I would go with a 3 season model that has great ventilation. A good neutral color will keep you less conspicuous as well.

I'm certain lots of others may have opinions or more to add. Good luck, ride well and pass along a link if you are doing a RR.
  3. SteveTheLocal

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the thoughts on the hammock. It goes back on the shelf. If you relocate to Vancouver Island I can guarantee you'll be bored of the riding possiblites after a decade or two. :1drink
    PM me if you make out this far. Thx, S.
  4. SteveTheLocal

Oddometer:
    Len: One more thing. You suggest I do a RR but I'm not much of a photographer and after I am done with the personal emails at the end of a day's riding I don't seem to have much inclination to take on much more. Selfish bastard, I know :eek1 I ride solo and like it that way.
    I appreciate that I should not continue taking without contributing and so may bite the bullet for some abbeviated or off the wall rendition but...how much did you allow for keeping your's up to date. Was it a chore or a welcome relaxation? Did it provide meaning to your day/ride/adventure? An excellent source of info and contacts or a pain in the butt? Motivating or demotivating?
    I kind of have the feeling that there is not much that I am going to do that has not been done to death. I don't aspire to great elevations, deepest river crossings, most dangerous bridges, most beers consumed, the most iron in my butt, etc. etc. Just like to wander and witness. I would appreciate your thoughts.
  5. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You will do lots others haven't. Every ride is unique and every set of eyes will see something different. Elevations, rivers and drunken nights are gravy but the meat of the trip is the day to day. I found it went from exhilaration of the new, to a chore, to an untroubled sense of peace. It was great! A real roller coaster.

I never really set aside any time to record it. I wrote when I felt like it... morning, noon and night. Sometimes I went a few days and didn't write at all. There were times I typed after too many beers, times I was drunk from the excitement of the day and times I was totally exhausted. If it became a chore I let it go but it was most often a welcomed ritual.

If I could go back I wouldn't again set it on a schedule. Daily reports seemed to be diluted. I enjoyed what riders like Crashmaster, MiseryGoat and Radioman did (do). They just roll it out when they have something to say. Better quality then quantity.

As for photos, my entire trip was done with a point and shoot camera (video and stills) and a GoPro. Not the quality of shots some great photographers are showing us but they still evoke memories for me. The photos should really be for you. I chose a blog to stay in touch with family but a pen and a nice journal would have been pretty sweet... and much less to lug around.

I rambled on for a bit here and didn't really answer anything for you... sorry. I'm sure most on ADV, including myself would prefer you did I RR... but this is for selfish reasons.

Short answer; take something to record your thoughts. A photo will never bring back all the stench of five day swamparse or the steamy tang of a bowl of Mondongo. Video may capture that fall in a river crossing but it won't explain the quizzical look of the Cuban farmer that helped you pick it out of the water. But when look back at chicken scratches on a page you will know exactly how cold you were, shivering all night on a mountain top and how warm the sun was as you were stretched out in the grass on the side of the road taking a nap.
  6. SteveTheLocal

Oddometer:
    Well said...and thanks for your thoughts. Stay tuned to this station. S.
  7. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Because some adventures, regardless of pics, are just worth resurrecting. . .. :thumb:thumb:thumb
  8. nanohiccup

nanohiccup in time

Oddometer:
    epic
  9. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Epic dude and true Colombian wingman:freaky
  10. BluNozr

BluNozr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    LOL. Someone has to watch the door when you're partying with Throttlemeister.