Earth's Ends: Riding DR650's from End to End

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by micko01, Jan 18, 2015.

1. RideN

RideN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys deserve a loong rest. But I'm sure you'll be back sooner or later - it's in your blood.
    Oznay and Tan101 like this.
  2. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

?
  3. rockydrxrvr

rockydrxrvr Multi Meter Meathead

Oddometer:
    Oregon Mountains, Great Riding,Not too cold.
  4. Tan101

Tan101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Hey Guys

Just wanted to wish you all a Merry Christmas and excellent New Year. We are in the process of settling down to 'normal' life again but have some great biking planned for the year ahead from off road adventures, to custom bike building, to enduros and word on the street is I'm getting a trials bike as a graduation present this year.

We will be continuing to write up the blog of all our Africa travels (we are only half way through this RR). And hopefully you guys will continue to enjoy our travels with us.

Cheers from two of us and thanks for following along....the RR continues...it just stalls from time to time ...hahaha
  5. Tan101

Tan101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey c.peet
    You're right, we were right in your backyard. There is a good chance we will be out that way again. After this Simpson run we've gone and decided we really want to go for a 1 day crossing of the French Line and QAA Birdsville to Dalhousie. In that case we will happily come, shoot the breeze, mess up your shed and steal all your beer. We'll let you know.

Its great to hear you are going to build your own bike. If you haven't already you should look at Mick's STILL incomplete build report for these bikes. He still aims to finish that write up as well as document the rebuild of the bikes he did while in the Netherlands. And maybe it would be a good idea to talk about what worked well with the builds and what he would do differently. I know Mick is also dead keen to build his own rally bike so we might have to share that on AdvRider as well.

NeilW. What a gift of a message. Thanks so much for sharing what you've gotten out of the blog. It was great to get your perspective of other reports and us. I've always felt we don't fit the hardcore adventure mould you speak of as we are way too social and prone to gas-bagging for that.
    Nose, Old fool, TreasureState and 5 others like this.
  6. c.peet

c.peet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Reading this makes me really excited and has me smiling. Please do come along. I live in an awesome part of our work that I'd love to share with you. PM me when you're coming my way. I would be honoured to host you. Here's a couple of random pics of my backyard. I'd love to show you
    IMG_20171226_224422-992x744.jpg IMG_20171126_201716-992x744.jpg
  7. Hometoroost

Hometoroost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MERRY CHRISTMAS GUYS. ANDHAVE SOME WONDERFUL RIDING IN 2018.
    TSSRA and Brick Top like this.
  8. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    As always, good to hear from you and best wishes!
    Tan101 likes this.
  9. Anjin455

Anjin455 Riding on the company dime

Oddometer:
    Your story is very inspiring, I have shared it with some non-riders and even they have started following your chronicles. Tan, I see you and Mick doing what so many people can only dream of and it has inspired me to one day do the same. While following your story, I even built my 82' GL500 with adventure in mind and have hit the flint hills of KS with much fervor attempting (and succeeding) to destroy it by making it do what it wasn't designed for! I first started watching this thread in 2014 while traveling for work and since have been using my bikes to take me around the states as a traveling technician, dreaming of what it would be like to do what you have done...and it served me well. My best wishes and deepest thanks to you for what you two have done for me and others who have been following you and Mick's story
    Tan101, rockydrxrvr and TreasureState like this.
  10. loganlexow

loganlexow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not to thread jack, but I need to see a gl500 adventure bike! It's oddly one of my favorites.

BRAAAAP!
    Tan101 likes this.
  11. Gammo

Gammo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mick and Tan, just finished reading your RR cover to cover over the last month or so, and sadly, I’ve come to a dead end!
    Congratulations and thanks on such a well thought out story (so far). It’s wonderful you could share it with the rest of us and in such a well written and entertaining format. Although, sometimes, don’t you just wish your format was photos and a few dot points to paint a vague picture? Your RR would be all done by now ha ha ha!
    In the very least you have a thorough journal of all the memories you might forget over the years, but as it’s turned out, you’ve built a fan club as well!
    Proud to have you guys flying the flag, not just as Aussies, but as exemplary global citizens.
    Best wishes and thanks again, Craig.
  12. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. Words seem inadequate having spent many days, a couple of hours here and there, reading your chronicles of an epic adventure.
    Humanity is mentioned above. This comes across in heaps. You really do epitomize all that is great about travellers going out with an entirely open mind to new experiences/people and adventures.
    I quit history as a 13 yr old and chose other subjects...nigh on 40 years ago...but I've learned heaps of stuff about Africa that you don't get from the media, the press or reading 3rd hand from books. Straight from the horses mouth so to speak.
    Africa has never appealed to me as a motorcyclist (and still doesn't..possibly more so) but I really feel like I've been to these places, experienced a big part of what you've experienced and all through your brilliant and engaging writing style.
    Thank you for taking the time to write your blog...whilst simultaneously travelling, marrying, studying for a degree etc etc etc. No mean feat.

Finally, if you're League of Gentlemen fans...the chaps have done 3 Christmas specials this year. If you can't get hold of them in Oz pls PM me and I'll sort out a 'viewing' somehow. (And if ever you're in the UK we have a spare room and are within 30 miles are all the locations of the series....:beer)
    TSSRA, Tan101, TreasureState and 2 others like this.
  13. ONandOFF

ONandOFF more off than on

Oddometer:
    Echoes my sentiments with respect to their reports. No one can deny how uniquely intelligent it's been.

But if we want the rest of the story, we may have to wait to buy the book.
    Tan101 likes this.
  14. PilbaraGoat

PilbaraGoat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for your bar setting travels and report. Up there with the best for content and style, but astonishing that you were able to travel for so long.

Great to have you back on our boring little island

790 rally...........or is mick thinking a different brand?
    Tan101 likes this.
  15. c.peet

c.peet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My life has been missing an element vicarious adventure since you guys have finished up Mick and Tan. I hope you're enjoying being back home and that life is granting you all of your needs and desires. There's still an open invitation should you be travelling through Central Aus to visit me and use my workshop. I'm also rumoured to be a reasonable cook but don't tell anyone.

On another note, does anyone have any recommendations for other great ride reports? All of my favourites have come to an end and I could use the inspiration. Cheers
    Tan101, JagLite, rrrnnn and 1 other person like this.
  16. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    RTWPaul RR
    Tan101 and JagLite like this.
  17. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    also LoneStar, his current ride report and photography is worth the read
    Tan101 and CapeMan like this.
  18. Hometoroost

Hometoroost Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here are some of my favourites:

Round the world accidentally on a blue 150cc (best R R I ever read)

Lonedtars adventures to South America

Riding RTW and back...for as long as it takes..on as much dirt as possible

Michnus & Elsebie, Piki-piki around the world.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk
    Tan101, JagLite, MrKiwi and 1 other person like this.
  19. OldManJoris

OldManJoris Rider

Oddometer:
    Granted, it's an older (2016) and short one, but Trogdor rides the TAT is one of those RR that stands out. The style and humour is unique. Worth a visit.

RideUnlimited from LostInTransit could become interesting. They're in prep stage now, heading out to Pamir and Siberia in March. The planned route looks cool.

This one here was unique, especially the DRC crossing. I'm afraid it will be a while before another one of these pops up, crossing fingers..
    Tan101 likes this.
  20. c.peet

c.peet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, plenty of reading material to get lost in there. Some of my all-time favourites include @garnaro's reports, Round Africa with a Surfboard and Long way for a wave. I also loved From Estonia with love. @OldManJoris I agree this one is unique. I think Mick and Tan's capacity to learn and understand the social, economic and cultural variances of the places they visit and then convey it back to all of us in a easy to understand, intelligent and witty way is absolutely brilliant. That's not even mentioning their own part in the story with their lust for adventure, tenacity in the face of challenges and willingness to share their experiences "warts and all". Mick and Tan if you're still lurking on this website, you have a massive fan in me. I like to think I live a reasonably adventurous life and hope to always challenge myself but you guys blow me away. You really are inspirational. I hope to one day meet you both.
    Tan101, TreasureState and OldManJoris like this.