Earth's Ends: Riding DR650's from End to End

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by micko01, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Oznay

Oznay Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What a treat,seeing you two back online..
  2. Bell driver

Bell driver Long timer

Oddometer:
    micko01 was last seen: Mar 9, 2018
    Tan101 was last seen: Apr 5, 2019
  3. mtnbikeboy

mtnbikeboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :(
  4. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    They are living life. Don't despair... I wish them the best.
    forgorin, JagLite and Phrog like this.
  5. Phrog

Phrog Terra Australis

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    mtnbikeboy likes this.
  6. Tomocan

Tomocan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I asked them about it at the last Horizen unlimited event here were and they said after Africa everything was a bit boring and they were not really inspired to continue or write about it. Pitty was my favourite trip blog. Nice people, hope things are working out well for them.
  7. Phrog

Phrog Terra Australis

Oddometer:
  8. Tan101

Tan101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, hello! Hello old friends!

Talk about timing. I kid you not I logged on to update the RR for the first time in forever the same day you two commented!

I've got a bit of an update to post and have the next two blogs about Cameroon and Nigeria already written and ready to go. We are adamant we are going to record our Africa ride in full and make a little book for ourselves one of these days. And this is us getting back on the horse again.

Its fair to say that when we got home we fell into regular life pretty quickly. But to be honest the biggest drag on progress with the blog was that we sort of needed to not think about the trip for a bit. I think there was an element of grieving for the end of it. We were ready to be home. But that doesn't mean we were ready for the trip to end as strange at it may sound.

We have a bit of work to get the RR repaired to account for some photos not being hosted anymore. But we will and hopefully we will get to share our old trip with some new people.

But this update is really for our old friends on ADVRider. We've missed you. Anyways. Lets get this update happening. Cameroon blog to follow tomorrow.
    Tomocan, Bt10, Briggski and 30 others like this.
  9. Phrog

Phrog Terra Australis

Oddometer:
    :happay
    drhippie2 and TheDecepticon like this.
  10. Tan101

Tan101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I Believe an Update is in Order

Well, well, well…look who finally showed up to this dust-covered, moth-balled RR of ol’. That’s right, after an insanely long hiatus, we are back!

This extensive break from blogging was never supposed to last so long. In fact, finishing writing up at least the Africa part of our trip had been my New Year’s resolution for the past 2 years. But in the grand tradition of New Year’s resolutions, its come to nothing.

But alas, I am giving in another crack before the ravages of time further erode our memory of events. This blog, after all, is our attempt to record the memories of our grand adventure so it will serve as our memento of the trip and that time in our lives where we threw caution to the wind, worked and saved then lived out a dream of motorbiking the world.

For those of you who’ve stuck around, we issue a hearty, fond hello!

Perhaps a recap of what’s gone on since returning to Oz is in order before jumping back to our African travels.

After riding across Australia, we returned to our home base of Perth, Western Australia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The timing of the end of our trip was near to ideal. It was the start of a big recovery in the resources sector that had started its downward slide at the time we left on our trip. Within a couple of weeks, I was working as a geologist in an underground nickel mine. Mick soon found himself running a gold mine in the Murchison region of Western Australia.

[​IMG]

Our return coincided with a significant lull in the housing market in Perth. We stumbled into a house purchase. We weren’t really looking and bought the first thing we looked at and got a great deal on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I graduated from university for the degree I had been finishing on the road.

[​IMG]

I conned Mick into a cool graduation present. He was given the following brief; second-hand, no more than AUD10K, Italian – but different from all my previous Italians. He nailed it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mick then got enticed by a previous boss to jump mining companies to take the underground manager position of a large mine in Kalgoorlie called Kanowna Belle. High tonnage, low grade, geologically complex, remnant mining, seismic - its a monster. There is some cool animation of the mine here to anyone who likes that kind of thing.

<a href="https://inventum3d.com/c/nsrltd/kanowna">https://inventum3d.com/c/nsrltd/kanowna</a>

[​IMG]

I joined the same company and worked at another one of their gold mines.

[​IMG]

We had our 10th anniversary and celebrated with his and hers Husabergs. Now we were back working for ‘The Man’, adventure biking was out, and enduro biking was in. I got the 2012 FE390 while Mick got 2011 FE 570. True Husabergs with 70° engines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mick started to build a massive 2 story, 3-bay garage on our steep block with his dad. They did nearly the whole thing themselves. And it would have been bigger were it not for the 'oppressive' condition I placed on it by not allowing it to be larger than the house.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, way out of left field, Mick was requested/told to relocate to Fairbanks, Alaska to be the mining manager at Pogo, a big gold mine that our company had purchased about a year previous. They needed us to move asap. So we did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone interested in big underground mines will enjoy this cool animation
    https://inventum3d.com/c/nsrltd/pogo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there we were smack bang in the Alaskan interior, transitioning from Australian summer (43C/110F) to Alaskan winter (-37C/-35F). Starting new jobs, finding a rental and filling a house, getting a car and finding someone to deliver the baby that was just 2 months off arriving into the world. It all got organised in time (got the truck just a few days before going to hospital.) And we now have a rad little dude to call our own.

Meet Maxwell. Max is a most excellent little man. Perhaps recognising we had no idea what we were doing, he’s taken care of much of the parenting heavy-lifting. He is very chill, sleeps like a teenager, feeds like a champ and is a happy, not so little legend. He’s got mum’s eyes, dad’s frown, and is rocking the 95th percentile for everything. We are naturally counting down the days till he gets his first motorbike.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there you go.

That’s what’s been going on.

We are now set up in Alaska, slowly accumulating all the toys again for making the most of one’s time in the 49th state. We’ve signed on to stay for a couple of years but already feel we might stay a lot longer than that. And when it comes time to return to Oz, we are planning to do it by land. Siberia, Mongolia and Central Asia still beckon us. Mick’s already mentally designing an Oka Camper for the job. Will be sure to have a mount for a dirt bike on the back.

Now to the blog update.

In the interest of actually getting this thing documented for posterity, it is going to be a bit of a half-arsed job compared to what we did in the past. Previously we dove deep into random insights of history, politics, culture and trivia we acquired along the way. We wanted to capture all we saw, experienced and learned. That took time, and we are a little short on that these days. Now, where were we? Ah yes….. Cameroon…..
  11. Phrog

Phrog Terra Australis

Oddometer:
    That's a lot of information in one post.
    I need a drink.
    (G'day Max)
    Tan101, drhippie2, GNPskier and 3 others like this.
  12. Franque

Franque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congrats! As a new parent myself, living in a foreign country, I think I can understand time constraints, etc. Glad to see you guys back, and I'm really happy to see the developments in your lives!
    Tan101 and JagLite like this.
  13. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This good news is a great way to start this day.

Looking forward to reading the next installments.

Great to see Max. Children are (mostly) a great joy.

NFE
    Tan101 and JagLite like this.
  14. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Wowsa!
    Congrats!!!
    And Mick finally got a new shirt too...
    Tan101 and windplay like this.
  15. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Ah, kids. Spend two years teaching them to walk and talk, then the next 18 trying to get them to sit down and shut up.

Congratulations! And welcome back. You've been missed.
    Tan101, drhippie2, bkoz and 2 others like this.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice to see you are back! :wings

And in Alaska at that. :thumb
    I came up here from Hawaii for a two week vacation... I've been here 37 years now.
    We all look forward to reading the rest of the trip. :jkam
    Tan101 likes this.
  17. freewheelin'

freewheelin' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to finish the ride report.:clap It looks like you've been very bsy in a very good way.:getiton
    Tan101 and drhippie2 like this.
  18. thwak

thwak Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely amazing how much of life can happen in such a short time. Great to see this and looking forward to the report.
    Tan101 likes this.
  19. NeilW

NeilW 2-up Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
    I'm so excited to see Tan and Mick back on the board, I had to run and tell my wife because she knows that your blog is the finest thing I've ever read. Congrats on the family expansion and adjusting well to life not on moto adventure.
    georet, Tan101 and Bunyip1260 like this.
  20. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Congrats to the new bubs, with you two as parents he should turn out a right little tourer! :lol3
    Tan101 and leighwgold like this.