East Central Floriduh Dualsport rides thread

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by bronc3, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I will try that.
  2. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    PK's right on that one! Can't say the same about orange bikes. :amazon
  3. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to call first thing in the morning. Do you recommend taking it to a local shop to look it over, or will taking it for a ride be okay? I'm not too good with tools... except my chainsaw, but that doesn't count here. :lol3
  4. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    If you're not familiar with bikes, it may be a good thing to have it checked out. However, in my experience from buying used bikes (as I always do because I can't afford a new one), the owners are usually straight up for the most part and don't dick you around. You already have a bike so at least you know what to reference it to. The DRZ is usually pretty bulletproof unless the owner has really abused it and even then, it'll still go. Do the usual and check for leaks, funky engine sounds, check chain slack, check sprocket condition, check oil, etc. If everything looks good after you take it for a ride, git-r-done! :D
  5. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm going to do that! Hopefully it is not gone when I call tomorrow. Out of curiosity... how much does this bike weigh?
  6. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    Per the Suzuki website, 291 lbs dry.

Here's some more info off their site for the '08 model:

<TABLE width=500><TBODY><TR><TD class=specType style="FONT-SIZE: 18px">Specs</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType width="25%">Engine:</TD><TD class=spec width="75%">398cc, four-stroke, single cylinder, DOHC, 4-valve, liquid cooled</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Bore Stroke:</TD><TD class=spec>90 x 62.6mm</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Compression Ratio:</TD><TD class=spec>11.3:1</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Fuel System:</TD><TD class=spec>MikuniT BSR36</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Lubrication:</TD><TD class=spec>Dry sump</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Ignition:</TD><TD class=spec>Digital/DC-CDI</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Transmission:</TD><TD class=spec>5-speed</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Final Drive:</TD><TD class=spec>#520 chain</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Overall Length:</TD><TD class=spec>2310mm (90.9 in.)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Overall Width:</TD><TD class=spec>875mm (34.4 in.)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Overall Height:</TD><TD class=spec>1230mm (48.4 in.)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Seat Height:</TD><TD class=spec>935mm (36.8 in.)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Ground Clearance:</TD><TD class=spec>300mm (11.8 in.)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Wheelbase:</TD><TD class=spec>1485mm (58.5 in.)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Dry Weight:</TD><TD class=spec>132kg (291 lbs.)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Suspension Front:</TD><TD class=spec>Telescopic, oil-damped, adjustable compression and rebound damping</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Suspension Rear:</TD><TD class=spec>Link-type, fully-adjustable spring preload, adjustable compression and rebound damping</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Brakes Front:</TD><TD class=spec>Single hydraulic disc</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Brakes Rear:</TD><TD class=spec>Single hydraulic disc</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Tires Front:</TD><TD class=spec>80/100-21</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Tires Rear:</TD><TD class=spec>120/90-18</TD></TR><TR><TD class=specType>Fuel Tank Capacity:</TD><TD class=spec>10 liter (2.64 gal.)
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  7. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    I asked the right person! Thanks!!! Does the high seat height present a problem when riding on the street? I'm short.
  8. Finger Mullet

Finger Mullet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not on the street, whats short, my ktm has a 37" seat and I'm 5'9" with 30" inseam...ya shorter than that. :D Off road I gotta pay attention.....a get off next to a rut on the wrong side and over I go. :rofl
  9. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:

Good price new is around $5500 out the door. The '03s and newer have better adjustability of the suspension and a few updated pieces. Aside from these few things all model years are virtually the same bike.
  10. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:

Moose Boy lives!

Single track, AM, be there. Finger Mullet will be joining us.
  11. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I will see how negotiable he is.
  12. Dr.Z

Oddometer:
    Get a Corbin seat. :deal It lowers the seat height quite a bit and helps you touch the ground! There's also lowering links you can get from a company called Kouba links. The links will help lower your DRZ further if needed.
  13. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You must be psychic! I just called the guy and he had the bike lowered. I don't know what kind of seat he has, but I am supposed to see the bike today around 17H00. I'll let you know what happens. I also looked at a Kawasaki KLX 250S. What is your opinion of that one?
  14. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:

Another great choice, but very low on power in stock trim. Great handling bike for dual sport. My gripe with them is that their prices are pretty close to the 400.
  15. Horatio

Horatio Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would save 1500 or more on the DRZ. I just want the bike that is easier to pick up. :lol3 I'm sure that I will be doing that a bit.
  16. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:
    Good ride today and we rode in more single track. but I don't think I've ever crashed so much in one day as today. I plan to hit it tomorrow for some more abuse.

Beaulies checkin' out one of my crash sites:

[​IMG]

Beaulies was on today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:
    I wasn't, but still managed to have fun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. bronc3

bronc3 Lucky 13

Oddometer:
    Finger Mullet, missed you today......Come on up when you get home. I'll probably ride next Saturday afternoon and all day next Sunday.
  19. beaulies

beaulies Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2006 drz 400s and a 2006 klx 250s. Get the drz you can thank me later.:freaky The 250 is just underpowered stock. The drz will get you by for a while stock. I have to agree with bronc if the klx was cheaper and you could put the rest of the money in mods to wake it up you would be ok. You just don't trim off that much weight to compensate for the power loss. My wife likes the klx but even I catch her complaining about it being underpowered, and she is no vet rider.
  20. Finger Mullet

Finger Mullet Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry I had to call ya this morning and cancel...but I did call early :norton I have to go to New Orleans for work all of next week and I spent Thanksgiving in Costa Rica......so I got the LOOK :huh last night and decided a little home tiime would be good. :D

Definately want to ride with you guys. :wink: I did start a ride report for my costa trip, check it out if ya want.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=291584

Horatio, I also own a klx250.....get a used drz :eek1