East Coast or Rockies

Discussion in 'Canada' started by NORTH RIDER, Mar 28, 2020.

1. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never been out west on a motorcycle , not through Canada ..
    Went to PEI and Nova Scotia in 1987 ( from Toronto )
    I’ve ridden a lot in the USA but this year I would like to keep my money in Canada . Love to go back East . Any place in PEI or Nova Scotia to leave a bike for a week ? My wife would fly out and we would travel by car for a week .
    Same question for anyone out west .

thanks

NorthRider
    matt.the.ogre likes this.
  2. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    At this point in time, I'd say you'll be staying home.

That said, I can have garage space for ya around Halifax. 20 min from the airport.
    Night_Wolf, Oilhed and cyclopathic like this.
  3. matt.the.ogre

matt.the.ogre Fair-minded Villian Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got garage space in a suburb of Vancouver.
  4. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have space in the barn in western Nova Scotia. To be honest though you would be better off with Maggot12's offer. I'm 3 hours from any airport you can fly into on a commercial flight. If you have your own plane I'm only 5 minutes from an airport.
  5. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you all , I appreciate the offers and may take one of you up on it .

I’m still hopeful that by the end of June the country is back to normal .

it does not have to be free space if you know a bike shop that will store a bike that would work as well .
    Thank you

NorthRider
  6. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Normal might be a new kind of thing this year.
  7. tbas3

tbas3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Its Nova Scotia I'm sure there will be plenty of offers for a place to store your bike for free. People here tend to not be into charging people for doing a small favor that has no cost to them. You would be surprised how far people here will go to help someone.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  8. 'Bob'

'Bob' Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had good experiences leaving bikes in storage at two different dealers in the Okanagan.
    In both cases I had some service done and left the bikes with them over the Winter. In both cases my return flights got in Saturday night and the dealers here are closed Sundays and Mondays.
    The Honda dealer in Kelowna just put my bike out in a storage unit and texted me the PIN code is I went straight there from the airport and rode away. On another occasion the BMW dealer in West Kelowna rode down and opened up his shop for me himself so I could get my bike out within an hour of landing as well. In both cases that saved me from having to wait two days from Sat night to Tue morning before starting my ride. Can't get much better than that.
    Worth calling ahead to inquire about short term storage at these dealers if your're interested in the Okanagan area.
    Night_Wolf, Vikingtazz and Maggot12 like this.
  9. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Actually you can, and you certainly know that being from NL... although that's pretty good at that dealer.

Coming to the east coast, store in another rider's shed/garage, said garage owner will likely bring you to the airport, and likely pick you up upon your return.
    Share a couple beers in said garage, and shake hands (f that's still a thing), and be off for the next time.

[QUOTE="'Bob', post: 39703033, member: ] Can't get much better than that.[/QUOTE]
    Night_Wolf, Vikingtazz and 'Bob' like this.
  10. 'Bob'

Oddometer:
    I hope the OP visits Newfoundland at some point too. If he does I'll gladly arrange bike storage and host him as well. I've only stayed in 'Port Arthur' one night passing through but I've always wanted to meet someone from there . My uncle and aunt moved there from Newfoundland in the '40s and raised their family there.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  11. MiltonHog

MiltonHog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have met the OP and enjoyed a couple of meals at his bar in downtown Thunder Bay. He is on the good guy plan.
  12. Vikingtazz

Vikingtazz Will ride for food.

Oddometer:
    You guys fighting over hosting North Rider - gives me a big grin.
    I've been several times to the east coast and have to agree, it's full of very nice people.
    I've been several times out west and have to agree, it's full of very nice people.
    Come to think, I've found some very nice people just about everywhere in Canada.

What an excellent problem to have.

I've looked at the map many times wondering about some of those backroads through the prairies that don't seem to get enough love.
    Someone reposted Lornce's ride report from a bunch of years ago - worth a look if you haven't yet.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/across-canada-on-a-71-r50-5.261508/
    Night_Wolf, Maggot12 and 'Bob' like this.
  13. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I read that ride report . Been reading a few ride reports about the Translab and some about the East Coast . When we did the Cabot trail in 87 we were taking a break in a small town by the harbour and started talking to a fisherman that was filleting fish on his boat . My friend speaks French so the conversation was in French but I understand enough . He asked if we had cooking equipment and gave us probably 3 pounds of fresh fish . Enough for 4 of us for dinner . Lots of Acadians and they preferred to speak in French back then . I don’t speak it ,but i can understand enough to get by . We did not get a chance to go to the south part of Nova Scotia or Newfoundland because we had TOO MUCH OF A GOID TIME IN P.E.I . and ran out of time . If I go this year I plan on Newfoundland for sure . I know this year might not happen but it’s good to have dreams . Planning takes up time which I have plenty of .
    Thanks

NorthRider
  14. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve been reading some ride reports on the “TRANSLAB” . Haven’t done any gravel in a long time and if I go on my GSA don’t know how nervous I would be . The Horizons Unlimited meeting in NFL sounds really good . The East Coast might be my summer trip . All you East Coast riders keep ‘“ must see and camping site “ suggestions coming .

Thank You

NorthRider
  15. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    The underground tour in Churchill Falls.....Lance Au Meadows.... The Tablelands.....St Pierre (France...passport required) ...Twillingate ....Fogo ......Bonavista.... Cape Spear.
    Millwright98 likes this.
  16. 'Bob'

Oddometer:
    Have you seen this link? https://bobsnewfoundland.ca

EDIT: Please note the website above is not my website, we just both happen to have the same name. LOL

It appears to have been done in 2019 so it's fairly current and includes a link to his guide to Labrador as well as the author's contact info.

Tip: If you like to smell the roses only use the TCH to get to the next turnoff (or a hospital).

Personally I always like to poke around the Codroy Valley and the Humber Valley areas.

All the peninsulas have something to offer plus they're mostly rural with lower speed limits. I especially like the Port Aux Porte, Northern, Bonavista, Burin, Connaigre and Avalon Peninsulas.

Also check out Sandbanks Provincial Park and see what you think...
    https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/plan-and-book/campgrounds/10540138

upload_2020-4-7_18-9-50.jpeg

There's lots more. There are some dirt routes but you can fit them in depending on which bike you come on and if they seem interesting at the time.
    Maggot12 likes this.
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    That website is incredible.. What a ton of info and pics.

Thanks for sharing.

18. Miller.a

Miller.a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s a neat website Bob. I’ll be sure to show it to friends and co-workers next time someone asks me what they should do on a trip to NL. You need some more info in the 2nd best (Gros Morne is the best. Anyone who disagrees is wrong) part of the island. Green Bay.
  19. benwr

benwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey NorthRider, I grew up in Cape Breton (in Kenora now). I did the Translab a few years back on a KLR. My understanding is that more paving has been done every year and eventually it will be paved entirely. Not much to see in Labrador until you get to the coast and then cross to NFLD. The west coast of NFLD is great. We also toured Gaspe Peninsula in QC, which is highly recommended.

I try to ride the Cabot Trail every time I'm back east with a bike. The south shore of NS (Lunenburg, Mahone Bay etc) is also a fantastic place to ride and get some seafood.

I'm hoping to get out this summer with some friends for a small displacement ride on the T'Railway in NFLD. We will see what the COVID situation brings in the coming months.

Now which bar in Tbay should I be visiting next time in in the city?

Ben
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  20. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sold the bar 3 years ago . Pretty much retired now . The bar is still going strong MADHOUSE TAVERN GRILL , If you want to go bar hoping next time you are here let me know .
    In 1987 we rode Gaspe . We even jumped in the water where the river meets the ocean ( cold in sept ). There is a Horizons Unlimited Travellers meeting in Newfoundland schedule for August . If we are done with self isolation by then I’m going to try and make it .
    I know that the riding season is uncertain but I’m going to book the Ferry and my spot at the HU meeting shortly . I need something to look forward to . Maybe my T700 will be here by then but if not this will have to do
    [​IMG]

NorthRider
    Vikingtazz, 'Bob' and benwr like this.