East Coast or Rockies

Discussion in 'Canada' started by NORTH RIDER, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Millwright98

Millwright98 Share the love, leave the dirt in the garden.

Oddometer:
    @NORTH RIDER ... The Vixen and I are 30 min from Downtown Halifax.....lots of room here in the shop to park for a week or so...no issues... Is the Mad Dog on Arthur St. by the T-Bay Harley shop?
  2. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Miileright98 I think the place on Arthur street might be NAXOS or the MOOSE AND GOOSE ( fairly new place ) .
    THE MADHOUSE TAVERN GRILL is on the Corner of BAY and ALGOMA ( right by the famous Hoito ) .I haven’t been at MADHOUSE since I sold it , can’t comment on the quality of it now but I hope it’s still great .
    I’m getting excited about my potential East Coast trip . I have to get in better shape the KLIM was at MAXIMUM STRECH yesterday ( Dam You cheap Polish Tall cans of great Beer ) no room for a heated vest .
    Thank you to those that have offered a place to store the bike while my wife and I travel by car .
    Question : if I go through NS or PEI first, instead of Labrador ,where is a good place to catch the Ferry to Newfoundland ?
    Thanks.
    NorthRider
  3. benwr

benwr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    North Sydeny is the ferry terminal from NS to NFLD. The short ferry takes you to the west coast, about 8 hours. The long Ferry is close to 24 hours that takes you to Argentina, close to St John's.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  4. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe I better take the short Ferry . The long one gives me Way Too Much Drinking Time .

NorthRider
  5. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    The night float means you can sleep and roll off in the AM ready to ride.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  6. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    Yup... book a night crossing so you don't lose a day.... I generally grab a berth once under sail.... never had a issue getting one. Worth it for a hot shower and a good nap.
    Night_Wolf likes this.
  7. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been a while since they had berths though they were the best option ever. Unless you are splitting cabin costs then the price of admission is too steep for this cheap bastard. Earplugs are my best friend.
  8. NORTH RIDER

NORTH RIDER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just finished watching a motorcycle trip through Newfoundland and Labrador . It was done by Terry Burt ( inmate?) and his friend . They live in New Brunswick , it might be called Bigland Adventure . Too be honest Labrador or at least the Translab does not seem that interesting ( no offence to anyone that lives there I’m just talking about the riding visually speaking ) . I might skip that and spend more time in Newfoundland , PEI and NS. I really hope to attend the HU meeting , been watching a bunch of videos on that as well .
    NorthRider
  9. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are not traversing Labrador the most efficient way to do this island is in on one ferry and out on the other. You can still do Labrador as an out and back ride from the Great Northern Peninsula without too much trouble. Call it Labrador light. You are going to Lance aux Meadows anyway, right?
  10. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Best to go to Argentia, IMO, about 16 hrs. Leaves 530, arrives about 9ish. Get a cabin (best to book it) it's 180 bucks. Expensive, but you'll have your own place to sleep and a shower, get up refreshed and ready to go. Have a couple or 10 beers at the bar and listen to some live music while watching the sun set. Meander around the coast as much as you can and take the PAB ferry back. They both land in North Sydney.

Night_Wolf likes this.
  11. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    @damurph ... In 12 crossings NS/PAB return... never had an issue getting a berth... just go straight to the info center as soon as you're on board and get your name on the list. The number of cancellations each trip is quite high. I wouldn't risk it for the Argentia crossing and would book upfront.
  12. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My reference to berths were a common-room bunk bed array that were available on the Smallwood and Caribou that crossed the gulf previous to the new ferries. 18 bucks got you a place to lay your head but bring your earplugs. The cabins nowadays are pricey for the length of time you are aboard.
    Millwright98 likes this.
  13. Millwright98

Oddometer:
    Gotcha...forgot about those....mostly traveled on the new rolly polly ships (Blue Putees)... last trip I rode straight through from St. Anthony and really didn't care what the cost of a private bathroom, hot shower and bed were... and a place to get out of the riding gear, and safely stow the stuff you don't leave below deck ... Hobbes gets cranky if he doesn't get a little luxury now and then... Cheers!
    20180813_104656.jpg