east coaster's heading to Ouray, CO this July?

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by FormerInmate 081920, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Augie

Augie The new voice of reason

Oddometer:
    Fixed it for you Nachtflug.
    If you go out and try to ride with Freak I will have too see that. Freak I will do the BBG with you on the way back.
  2. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    Barry, will do

Augie, BB1500 G :thumb

so who else this side of the Mississippi is thinking about going?

Augie, Dizave and Fluggie from the NE
    Rider, Goonie and Poser are thinking about it
    Barry, sherpa and me from VA
    Krautbikeman

and ???? :ear

ps fixed for ya, pilot :D
  3. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm on your side of the "Big Muddy". I think you mean the other big river. The Big Muddy is the Missouri.:): That's okay, I may have to try to meet up with you half way to the Black Hills.
    John
  4. FormerInmate 081920

FormerInmate 081920 Guest

Oddometer:
    oops, my bad, getting the rivers slang names mixed up :stupid I meant the other muddy river :D
  5. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    A few comments.

With jobby job, wife and three kids if one does not plan riding vacations *well* in advance they don't happen. So there.

I am sorta committed to the 'MOA Rally in Spokane. I actually enjoy the rally. I know the site is very nice.

I have always wanted to go to the Top of the Rockies so at a minimum I am going to go from RI to Colorado in LDR (minimal stops) mode. I am going to fly my SO to Colorado for TOR then go on to the National solo, probably doing a mini rolling rally with some Sled Dogs. This trip will take a few days over two weeks, I will compress the ride to and from the rockies.

One thing we (Yankee Beemers) are looking into is our "airlift" which we have done before. We rent a semi which can hold close to 23 bikes and have it meet us in Denver. This saves people a few days of vacation which can be spent riding out west instead of doing the Tour de Corn. If we are able to set up the fly/ship program with a return it would be great to be able to do the TOR, MOA Natl and the ADV rider meet on one trip.

I am working with a few folks from Idaho to put together a fun ride from Paonia to Spokane with a night or two of wilderness camping as well as a mix of twisty pavement and good dirt.

Regarding your 50cc's the northern route is substantially more difficult, more so than the mileage would dictate. Also, for folks planning on big rides home you may want to factor travel fatigue into your plans or at the very least make sure that the night before you leave you are in a hotel. The Iron Butt Association has some great tips as well as a chart showing the drop in performance (miles per day) for the average rider on a multi day trip. See Archive of Wisdom for more.

There ya go.

Best,

Rob Nye
  6. dragoon

dragoon I'm the REAL Dingo Joe

Oddometer:
    OMG! You have reached a new low:huh :arg
  7. Augie

Oddometer:
    Robster,
    What hazzards/joys are with the northern route NYC SFO or NYC LAX
    Yeah I know the run from JAX to SDO is a straight (almost ) shot
  8. Ritalin Boy

Ritalin Boy Petroconsumptivitius

Oddometer:
    The big difference aside from mileage is that the JAX - SD route has interstates that end within mile of the beach.

With the northern route comes more mileage and thicker urban areas for both departure and finish as well as problems near Chicago.

Best,

Rob
  9. Krautbikeman

Krautbikeman Failed Anger Mgt #$%@#$%^

Oddometer:
    Freak, I'm in and I believe Randall is going too. I will not be riding north and then west though. It's 2200-ish miles just from here, so I am still trying to figure out when to leave, but I'm guessing I'll head out early in the week of 19th or 20th and then head back Monday to arrive back here in Daytona on the 28th?

I don't even know what bike I'll ride or if I'll ship it there and ride it home. Too many variables, but at least I'm going. Mrs. Kraut gave it here seal of approval.:clap :clap
  10. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

And Poserwife already gave me mine!:clap I just gotta be home by the 28th.:freaky
  11. Komet

Komet The Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Sounds interesting...I may be in...it all depends on dates, work, military stuff etc. I'll have to see how it would work in regards to my tentatively planned far west trip...you know, it would be nice if someone could bring a telescope...I bet those skies are really nice at night out there.
  12. Linzi

Linzi Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... I've never been west of Alabammy (I'm a loser, I know), so maybe I'll head out. I'm sure I'll have classes during those dates, but I've gotten really good at blowing that off. :): I assume there will be some street riding in/around the rally spot?

- Lindsay
  13. Augie

Oddometer:
    The whole state of Colorado will be paved in honor of you going the rally.
  14. Linzi

Linzi Crazy Plott Lady

Oddometer:
    Rock on. :super I am a Republican, after all...

- Lindsay
  15. Augie

Oddometer:
    We all can't be perfect.
  16. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    It's on my "Tentative" list at this point, Freak. I sort of doubt I'll be able to slip away long enough from the Orifice to do it. :cry
    And my bad back can't take consistent 500-600 mile days, so it would take me awhile to get out there. :lol3
    But, man, I'd love to make this scene.
  17. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    Yeah, baby! :thumb :smooch :rogue
  18. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Tell us about it- You're a FYF- Fucking Yankee Fan!

As for me, I'm planning on going at this point... Hopefully I can talk my brother into it too- This could be a really epic trip. Can't wait!:freaky
  19. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    Then you are not going to Europe in September????
  20. Jabba

Jabba "HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer:
    Just east of the Pine Beatle- Evergreen, CO
    Didn't I just do that? Oh- you mean NEXT september! I'm pretty sure I'm going to take 10 days and do this Colorado thing. I just quit my job yesterday... start with my new company on wednesday. I've got to buckle down and do some work for a change between here and summer... then I'll be needing a serious get away. I don't know that I want to wait THAT long... X/C in July sounds about right- and the Rockies are just amazing at that time of year~! You think you'll have a bike that runs by then?!