East Kootenay Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianRocky, May 9, 2014.

1. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dibble mine, just off Wardner Rd near Fort Steele. Good area to explore but the trails are more suited for ATVs. Horseshoe Lake recsite is nearby. Strange that this thread gets so little activity. Few places in Canada have better riding in my opinion.
    Captain Lew, cal08 and AirXn like this.
  2. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between riding and life in general they don't have time to post? ;))
    JDakota likes this.
  3. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm hoping to contribute more once I've moved to Radium full time. Couple years to go.
    JDakota likes this.
  4. Moto orange

Moto orange Son of a BSA

Oddometer:
    Probably a good plan to wait anyway. This whole plan about all of the trans Canada traffic being re routed though radium while they do work east of golden over the next couple years....
    JDakota and cal08 like this.
  5. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I play along--where's this
    IMG_3870.JPG
    JDakota likes this.
  6. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    top of grey creek, very late in the season i would guess. excellent pic
    MGV8 likes this.
  7. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    here is a well trodden destination.
    man, i hadn't heard anything about this. what a nightmare.
  8. Moto orange

Moto orange Son of a BSA

Oddometer:
    There is also on the works to put a roundabout at the radium 4way. Naturally the locals are arguing about this...
  9. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    maybe this will incentivize them to put a cell tower in the kootenay park.
    Moto orange likes this.
  10. MGV8

MGV8 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, but actually July
    JDakota likes this.
  11. BCBackRoads

BCBackRoads Travels with Gumby

Oddometer:
    Hey, I recognize this spot. We were there in early August.

[​IMG]
    JDakota likes this.
  12. CanadianRocky

CanadianRocky No Bucket List... a Bucket full of Lists

Oddometer:
    I have been conspicuously absent from this thread for several years, nice to see it has been a bit active... bought me several Harley's in that time, and have been on another forum posting up the 50,000+ miles of riding I did since I stepped away from ADV... but I am back now. Pondering another direction on my Motorcycling... not sure what that means, but I was in Langley a month or so ago, and spent way too much time in the BMW shop...

This is what I have been spending my time on...

IMG_3399.jpg
    A 2017 Electraglide and a 1952 Panhead.
    glasshousebc and powderzone like this.
  13. CanadianRocky

Oddometer:
    Not dirt..... but where in the East Kootenays was I?...

Darla2Lake.jpg
  14. Captain Lew

Captain Lew Under Heaven Over Hell

Oddometer:
    Just South of Canal Flats? Facing East.
  15. CanadianRocky

Oddometer:
    Exactly.... just notice that the Power Line is missing. I used Photoshop to remove them. For those that don't know, the other side of the far mountains is the road that heads south to Top of The World Park.
  16. Captain Lew

Oddometer:
    Is the Top of the World road a good ride to do? I bet there are some great views.

I'm in Cranbrook part of every summer. I look forward to going a few new places out there each year. Especially now in the dead of winter.
  17. CanadianRocky

Oddometer:
    There is a great road into that valley from the road that heads up to White Swan, but I don't know if there is a way out as I have never done it. I have taken a Jeep up to the parking lot where the trail heads up to the Top Of The World park.... If I remember correctly it is about an hour and a half hike up to Fish Lake where there is a great campground and even a cabin... but the cabin is mice territory, so noisy at night as they move around, I have always stayed in a tent up there. There are three great hikes from the lake, one up to sparkle, one up to the East ridge and one to the West. There is no motorized traffic allowed up to Fish Lake, but I see people who ride Mountain Bikes in, there are a few spots you would need to carry the bike. Here are a few picts of a hike I did up there about 11 years ago. Sorry for the quality of the photo's, I did not have my good camera with me on this hike.

DSCF0515.JPG This image is looking up at the ridge on the east side of the lake... looks a bit formidable to get up to the ridge, but there is a very nice trail that gets you all the way to the top.

DSCF0516.JPG From just above the tree line on the Scree...looking back down to the lake and the campground. To the far left you can hike up that scree and get to the top of the ridge, and then do a nice ridge walk. Straight south of the lake there is another hike up to Sparkle lake. Once you get up to Sparkle you can also do a bit of scrambling up to another ridge... When I was up there, we got caught in a fast moving thunder storm, and just made it off the top of the ridge before it hit us. We had to tie down under an emergency tarp for about an hour. The Lighting was all around us, and there was no time space between when the sound and the lightning, it was right on top of us... when it cleared, we where ankle deep in Hail... the "we" was my and Bear my dog.

DSCF0517.JPG This is the cabin and the wharf... the campground is to the left. A short hike around the lake and there is a great water source... I would recommend boiling the water in the lake before you drink it, but from the stream it was always fine. When we where hiking back down from the ridge, I had to take an extended break. Thinking back it was the first indication I was starting to have a significant problem with my heart valve. That winter, I had my open heart surgery.

DSCF0535.JPG
    At the top of the Ridge...This is looking East at Mt Morro. This is the last time I made it up to this ridge... it took several years to get my feet back underneath me after the surgery, and I started my motorcycling a few years after that, and have not made the time since.
    JDakota, cal08 and powderzone like this.
  18. Captain Lew

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

It sounds like you had some good times there. Beautiful as expected!

As for me camping/hiking there... maybe I should be on somewhatadvriders forums. I dream bigger than I do, but I am getting there!
    CanadianRocky likes this.
  19. JDakota

JDakota Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you continue on past Top of the World you can connect to Wildhorse FSR. Unfortunately the road hasn't been maintained so it has degraded into a very rough ATV trail but I have made it on my WR in the fall. There are a couple crossings that would make it very hard in the wet season
    canuck 1, cal08 and powderzone like this.
  20. Hydra5

Hydra5 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Some friends and myself are planning a trip to that area from Arizona in June, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. CanadianRocky, I wrote down your list from 2014 and I'm checking the map and going to run it by my buddies, Gray Creek Pass sounds pretty amazing weather/season permitting.