1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

East Kootenay Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianRocky, May 9, 2014.

1. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, i was referring to the road due north of Crawford Bay. Might just be something to check out for as far as one can make it, find a beach to have a granola bar or something. No high expectations.

I am still interested in any roads we may want to or have time to check out. The triumph is a Thunderbird Sport. I would compare it to a sport touring bike like a VFR. It has been laid down and tipped over, so it is not a garage queen and has no fairings. It has Shinko 705s can can handle a gravel road, but not two track. No skid plate. It is heavy, and top heavy at that.

In terms of dirt, i would say we're probably looking for 80% pavement and 20% dirt, if i had to quantify it. Having said that, i am on a XT500 and can do two track and will be set up for it. There is nothing stopping us from having a day or two apart. I will also have my in-reach.
  2. uncle m

uncle m Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cmattina likes this.
  3. SK_in_AB

SK_in_AB LOOKin to GS

Oddometer:
    Agree with most of what has been said. I am in Calgary with a place in Invermere so I ride the east Koots on both a GS and an RT. The road north of Creston to the ferry at Kootenay Bay is outstanding, and then you can circle back around through Kaslo and New Denver to Nelson. Its a fun town with a great vibe. The road on the east side of the lake up thru Nakusp to Revelstoke is also great.

If your coming through Calgary to Banff I would take the 1A rather than the TCH which is a bit twisty and more leisurely and not 4 lane traffic. I would avoid the TCH from Lake Louise through to Sicamous due to both construction and congestion. Hiway 93 from the TCH at Castle Mountain down to Radium is nice with long sweepers and some tighter twisties on the last 40 km (south end). But some construction sections in this area right now can lead to delays.

I did the Gray Creek trail from Kimberly to Kootenay Bay 2 years ago, it is pretty good gravel, only open in the summer, but a full 90 minutes so your wife may find it a challenge. And you miss the fun of creston up to Kootenay Bay, which as said by others is the best M/C road section in all of BC.

Sorry I will be away while you are in the region or I would be happy to ride a day with you.

Have a great trip.
    cmattina, glasshousebc and cal08 like this.
  4. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks we have some friends in kimberly and were planning on visiting them before heading to Crawford Bay, so it might make sense to do Gray Creek.

But, like you said, Creston to Crawford Bay is also very nice. So i guess it is just what we're in the mood for

How has the rain been there lately?
  5. glasshousebc

glasshousebc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live here in Kimbo, on the ski hill.... weathers been great over the last week... and we are due 30’s for the next few days.
    Took a drive up Dewar Creek way just yesterday (you turn off this road at 39 to head towards Gray Creek)... road’s been recently graded, and is very dusty... could be similar going Gray Creek.
    As you say, depends on what you’re looking for... the road can get a bit gnarly in places, but nothing a bike cannot handle... the big washout I wrote about the other week has been repaired according to the general store blog site.

as has been said in previous posts though, if you go the pass route, you’ll miss out on the the Crawford bay run... bloody good fun, curves for days :clap (oh and you’ll miss out on 2 scoops Steve’s place in Yahk too... a must stop if you’re wanting icecream... refreshing on a good days ride... selling kicking horse coffee too, so I can vouch for their coffee too :rilla

have a great time
    Steve.
    cal08 and cmattina like this.
  6. MGV8

MGV8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys, going to be in Fernie for a couple of days early August. Suggestions for some easy gravel close by that will take us to some hiking. Taking the GS/Ural Rig, camping at the provincial just out side of town. I'll have dear Kathy and Lucy ( the dog) with me so nothing too nasty. Nice day hiking. Also thinking of trying for a couple of nights at Whiteswan after, before we head home. Looks like there is a FSR that takes you there with out going all the way around to Canal Flats. Maybe a nice Forestry rec site on the way. Taking the big Dually so it can handle a bit of rough even if it has our house on it. My dear misses hates the rough stuff but once we're 20 k in there ain't no turning around. :D Suggestions??
  7. AirXn

AirXn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If staying in Fernie could turn in at morrissey and take river road down to silver springs. Nice short hike and pretty cool lakes up there with some cliffs to jump if so inclined. Than go into Elko and drive around behind the mill and check out the elk river below the dam.

I know there is a bush road from Fernie to the bull river FSR. You can than driving up and over to white swan. But I have never been on it.

Maybe even continue from Canal flats along the Kootenay river to the park. Not sure of the name of that FSR.
    MGV8 likes this.
  8. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    I think that FSR from Fernie to Bull River is the Hartley Pass (off Dickens Road) and it’s a really nice ride back there. From what I remember of it, the turn off for White Swan (North) is on the same FSR before you get to the reservoir (going east to west).
    cal08 likes this.
  9. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Thanks, My back roads map books show that it is a major FSR, but for some reason I don't totally trust what they show. I was looking at that route from Canal flats up to the park as well. Seems like it might take one through some nice country.
  10. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey. Been touring around here. Did Grey creek pass a few days ago and it was great. Is there anything similar that I can do as a loop with a start and finish in Nelson? Or perhaps something between Nelson and revelstoke or between Nelson and castlegar? Would be just me on the XT500
  11. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    A bit rougher and shorter: Nelson - Six Mile - Lemon - Pedro - Smallwood - Nelson
    There is some duplication between these tracks. They were the easiest to find to attach.

Attached Files:

cmattina likes this.
  12. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks cool. Thanks. I'll have my inreach and spare tubes. Not full off road gear though. Would a 4x4 full size chev be able to do it? I ask just as a point of reference
  13. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not something I'd try. Posted the tracks/suggested loop with XT500 in mind.
    I haven't done that loop this year so no idea of conditions now.
    cmattina likes this.
  14. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay thanks man. I'll give it a go and turn back if it gets dicey.
  15. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interested in fsr type roads around revelstoke. Didn't know we had a whole day here
  16. spuh

spuh Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're hoping to go back to Red Lake you might have a lot more time before you go home. Hope you have a home to go home to. And everyone there too.
    gpfan likes this.
  17. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, sounds like they are making progress!
  18. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a major road. And has some great views. It T's with the Bull, just turn right. The Bull FSR goes about 70 km right beside the river. It's a favorite road and long enough to really get into the trip. Lots of photo stops,
    MGV8, powderzone and LANCIVPT like this.
  19. MGV8

Oddometer:
    Thanks
    I had figured that out but Dear Wifey nixed any real back road exploration during the trip. Which is over by the way. I saw enough of the area that I have changed my September plans for my Solo trip. Instead of the Chilcotin I am heading back to the East Kootenays to explore on my own. We did get into the Whiteswan area which is awesome but the road in from Canal Flats was Dusty to the point of the extreme. Of course with the house on wheels we were fine, The rig, well it took some cleaning:D
    Cbr%QCBISqum4EBOvkX0zg.jpg
    br+aAO7vSI+7K8SrLRN09g.jpg
    BecaBoo, cal08, glasshousebc and 2 others like this.
  20. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it out. I'm at year 3 exploring the region and I'm really getting to like it.

Really nice rig by the way. It looks well set up.
    MGV8 likes this.