1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

East Kootenay Adventure Riders

Discussion in 'Canada' started by CanadianRocky, May 9, 2014.

1. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ouch. Looks like this thread has gone quiet.

Last year I got some good local advice and did some exploring out of the Crawford Bay area. I was thinking of heading back, but wondering if anyone knows a good base area (town) more in the mountains further north (perhaps within a couple hundred km of Jasper).

Just looking for some pavement and gravel riding.
    gpfan likes this.
  2. CanadianRocky

CanadianRocky No Bucket List... a Bucket full of Lists

Oddometer:
    I sold my ADV and went pure street several years ago... and although I have never ridden off the pavement in the area… I would suggest Valmont on the BC side… Or Hinton on the Alberta side…You probably should look for the BC guide that shows all the back roads... I have one, and it is very extensive.
    cmattina likes this.
  3. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Might anyone in the Fernie/Sparwood have a spot to park a Nissan Frontier and 4x8' trailer for a 7-8 days in July? Let me know! much appreciated
  4. AirXn

AirXn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a couple spots in Wardner or Cranbrook if you do not get a response from anyone in the elk valley.
    cmattina likes this.
  5. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have an opinion on which route is "better". Thinking about taking Bull River FSR all the way north to White Swan (and then further north from there). Just curious about the pros and cons of starting at the Hartley Pass rather than down in Bull River? We'll be on bigger bikes with 50/50 tires and my wife is a novice, but can ride gravel. This will be in late July
  6. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've hit both lines.

The bull is still one of my absolute fav lines. It has lots of turns and sweepers, the views are fantastic and my favorite part is mix of fresh air, trees, beside the water. It's great. My preference is Hartley. Lots of good views and great backcountry. Hopefully some one local chimes in. I have no idea about the snow coverage right now. I'm sure in the shade you will still see some ice and snow.
    Chad M and cmattina like this.
  7. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    QUOTE="cmattina, post: 42211077, member: 395491"]Does anyone have an opinion on which route is "better". Thinking about taking Bull River FSR all the way north to White Swan (and then further north from there). Just curious about the pros and cons of starting at the Hartley Pass rather than down in Bull River? We'll be on bigger bikes with 50/50 tires and my wife is a novice, but can ride gravel. This will be in late July[/QUOTE]
    I have done both several times, I vote for Hartley, maybe se these guys, not the bike the white things in the background IMG_20170825_104116.jpg
    cal08 and cmattina like this.
  8. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    Hartley is easy when dry and very scenic. The climb up to the lake near the summit is a muddy mess when wet. The rest is fine regardless. Always been on a big bike doing it.
    Bull is a nice run and easy on almost any bike even mostly road biased tires. There is one short section south of where it crosses the river just before Whiteswan that is very greasy in a full on downpour. Green clay.
    cmattina likes this.
  9. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Lycan1 makes a good point, one I forgot about. That line has some sections that are super fine silt, that when wet is the slickest compound I've ever experienced. Ice has more traction. It's a heads up that's all.
    cmattina likes this.
  10. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good to know we can play it by ear based on the weather.

Just crossing our fingers there is no inter provincial travel ban during the summer...
  11. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    First rule of fight club.
  12. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    For that reason, I never EXPECT an answer.

Last year I was surprised how few riders I saw.
    cal08 likes this.
  13. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    It actually makes it more interesting :)
    cal08 and spuh like this.
  14. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's like your on a unicycle. Crazy slippery. Type 2 fun: hilarious after the fact.
  15. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FYI the logging co has been pulling trees out of the lower Bull FSR to the mill at Galloway. If you’re riding during weekdays, it can be VERY dangerous and technically you’re required to radio ahead which isn’t very practical.
    For that reason and my preference for dual track / more primitive FSR routes, I usually go that way via Hartley.
    Your next decision is to take the Bull River FSR up to Monroe Lake (then Whiteswan) or take the more adventurous Quinn Creek FSR straight North to Whiteswan. There are some washout sections on Quinn but I’ve done it on my 1090 and a buddy on his 1290. It’s a beautiful route.
  16. powderzone

powderzone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @cmattina
    I’ve got parking in front of my house in Fernie. There’s definitely room for a pickup w trailer. Unfortunately it’s not secured parking but it’s a small town and I’ve never had an issue with theft.
    With any luck, travel restrictions will have eased by then. Shoot me a MSG and we can coordinate logistics.
    cmattina likes this.
  17. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip on logging trucks. As of now it should be a Saturday, but either way Hartley remains our plan A.

I considered Quinn Creek, but we're on bike road oriented bikes, and my wife is a novice and probably would not be much help if we got into a tricky situation. I'm sure I could do it on the KTM SMR with 60/40 tires, but I doubt she could on the Tiger.

Right now, this is our planned route (ignore the sparwood part): https://goo.gl/maps/ctXyggux3eycYfxNA
  18. cal08

cal08 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even if you bail on the bull FSR and follow the paved road, the route shown is really nice. Great long views of the valley. You will have a nice time.
    powderzone and cmattina like this.
  19. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go slow over the bridge at sulpher creek and watch for the Mountain goats, I see them there often , it's entertaining to watch them climb. And a lunch stop at Munroe lake is worth the extra 1/2 km
    powderzone and glasshousebc like this.
  20. cmattina

cmattina Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just to make sure i am understanding things correctly...

I'm not actually cross the bridge at Sulphur creek if i am coming from Hartley, correct? Only if I were going on to Quinn Creek rd, or coming from Bull River?