East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Curious how having stents affects riding bikes, never heard of limitations like that, thx

2. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shouldn’t have any effect beyond whatever a doc limits In exertion.

3. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    All surgeries have some risk, after effects from the left (CEA)-Carotid Endarterectomy, this procedure can affect a stroke & in my case nerve damage that affected speech, equilibrium, & lower left lip ---Lucky for me this was only slight nerve damage & has repaired itself over two years, still losing balance at 75 MPH on the interstate not cool.
    Stints in the legs cleaned the arteries & relived cramping of calves & thighs that now allowed me to walk further than 50 yrs w/out cramping.--- When there is little or no blood flow to lower extremities things like shifting, breaking, stooping, lifting a downed bike becomes difficult ---Legs are important things to have in those situations.
    Looking at MTB & electrics as a form of therapy & could be a way to return to adv riding when confidence is again regained, after all, falling off a 125# bicycle at 25mph is not as damaging as a 300# KTM at 75mph.

BIG-E and Motorius like this.
  4. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hopefully @motogo1 can chime in with his recent experience with his electric MTB, it seemed to be a very good form of therapy while he was snow birding out here this past winter.

[​IMG]

Foiler likes this.
  5. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    @SteveAZ . Let me know if you want to hang next time you're in Scottsdale. My neighbor @bhorocks is building an E-Bike and I have an interest too. I had my knee replaced a couple of months ago (due to a crash in '99) and it's going to be a while before I can consider dirt bikes off-road.

6. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    @Crashed Bad - sounds good... I usually head back south after lunch to scoot under the traffic but it's always flexible and I'll likely be up there on the upcoming weekends and then it's super flex

7. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh man,Sorry to hear you had bad results. I had just the opposite results with mine, Carotid endarectomy in '09', triple bypass in '16' and knee replacement in '17'' all worked out very positive with no limitations, I do get the vertigo dizzy thing but daily dosing with some good weed takes care of that with excellent results.Man all I can tell you is force yourself to get up and walk every morning,before you know it you'll be doin a couple of miles everyday.Walking and weed are what brought me back,not so much dirt riding though, I sport a Kawa ZG1000,and a light little Kawa Sherpa now for light trail riding. Good luck and hope you get back out there.

Foiler likes this.
  8. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The electric bike has done wonders for me... After losing the leg my knee above the prosthetic never got flexed all that much and was getting very stiff and I worried about the long term. I was terribly out of shape and would get winded walking a few hundred yards. With the leg thing stairs will never be my friend but I'd get out of breath on just a flight or two.

When I started on the electric bike I tried to turn the pedals all the time even if not pushing much. At first I just turned them slow, didn't push much but just turning the pedals not only did wonders for my knee, it also started helping with overall health.... even without pushing hard just turning the pedals brings some level of aerobic activity.

Been riding now for three years. Initially I'd turn about 50rpm with ~60rpm being the absolute max (my prosthetic foot wouldn't stay on the pedal above that). The only pushing I was doing was with the "real" leg and almost no power from the side with the prosthetic. My thighs were already asymmetric but it increased over time which didn't bother me since it was the "real" side growing significantly and that's good.

Today I'm riding hard with both sides although there's still a lot of asymmetry and there always will be. I turn 70-80rpm as a general baseline and peak at >90rpm though some of that is due to the new much lighter and compliant foot I've got on the prosthetic. My range has doubled for a given charge while maintaining the same average speed so it's clear the amount of energy I'm putting in is about as much as the motor is now although I have also modified the motor and my techniques in ways that improve efficiency. I'm very fit now (particularly among my peers in my age group but even compared to the younger crowd although I've always tended to be) and no longer get winded unless I'm really cranking and recovery is very fast.

OTOH the old guy stuff is still catching up and I'm likely close to my peak now.... oh well...

Foiler, AZ4us, BIG-E and 6 others like this.
  9. cyberdos

cyberdos Easy Bonus Loop ♦♦

Oddometer:
    Sloowpoke likes this.
  10. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    A61C230B-FD68-44B5-A806-05A5501F465D.jpeg Rode to Winkelman for tacos again today. Here’s what the Fire in the Superstitions looked like. This is headed N into Superior on 177.

Saw it again on the east side as I rode up 60 but didn’t look this impressive.

11. verboten

verboten confused Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you guys meeting to play shuffle board these days ;) I’m back stateside just in time for our desert riding season.

0E9256DC-6B2D-47D1-BEF1-8153A35D6F15.jpeg

Attached Files:

rattlecan and Lost Cartographer like this.
  12. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    It was a little bit hot out there today.

[​IMG]

Had you posted earlier I would've invited you out. (saw your post this morning)

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  13. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Looks like the ramp up from the under pass of Horse Shoe Dam.

Foiler and AZ TOM like this.
  14. cyberdos

Oddometer:
    You mean launching pad.

15. verboten

Oddometer:
    Too far, too hot, and not enough Starbucks.
    Don’t mind me, I’m just practicing my excuses :)

Foiler, rattlecan and cyberdos like this.
  16. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go north guys, way north. There's plenty of terrains to discover while escaping the oven.
    Few more feet forward and we would've needed parachutes to keep going.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foiler, Sloowpoke, sonoran and 3 others like this.
  17. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys...what do we know about AZautoRV.com...they have a place on 320 S EL DORADO SUITE 4
    MESA, AZ 85202 ? The inventory is impressive....everything from Beemers to HDs....obviously not a dealer
    for the many brands....:ear

18. kbblue

kbblue mmmm... dirt...

Oddometer:
  19. verboten

Oddometer:
    Anyone heading up to Mountain Madness able to haul one rider + dirt bike up to Flag and back from I10 & Elliot? If so, I’ll pay for gas.

20. nwemerys

nwemerys Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I could. Attending but the chariot is full. See you up there, look forward to meeting some folks.