East of Phoenix Rider's Group

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by 750Volts!, Oct 21, 2010.

1. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :cry:cry:cry
    BIG-E likes this.
  2. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:

Drew,.... Did you do some more bonus miles this time?
  3. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    well its happening, forests will begin closing, starting with Tonto Nat forest.
    Sledred likes this.
  4. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wildfires are spreading like viruses
  5. Reidy008

Reidy008 I,m in if we go fast

Oddometer:
    Not this time mate. I can;t say I;m any smarter but I am getting to know which way the town is now..lol

We had a good run and got in an hour ahead of the dead line.
    AZ Mark, EZ300, Foiler and 1 other person like this.
  6. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You mean their campgrounds will be closing, you cant really close a forest, you got cows grazing, people live in them,roads go through them,hunters hunt and fish in them, on and on.
  7. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    NONSENSE!!!

Check your facts - it's not just the campgrounds and in fact it's by far most of the forest

Closures aren't a new thing, it's a $5000 fine and they *do* patrol

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd759512.pdf
  8. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Steve and 2 Spot are right, gates get closed and locked. The forest does get patrolled and if stopped you better be able to prove you have a house in the forest or you work for a ranch and are checking on live stock. That’s our Fire season, at least until monsoons get here.
    DR650SEDDY, 2 SPOT and Sledred like this.
  9. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got "educated" on this about 25yrs ago up around Prescott... I didn't know the entire forest was closed and saw a couple of signs so went off in a totally different direction, ended up going through some inholdings with no signs and was going down a hill when a vehicle coming the other way blocked me and aggressively got my attention (guns drawn)... I stopped and got detained for a while... they insisted I must have driven past signs and I explained my route and finally convinced them I had not ridden past any signs and really was just ignorant... they were prepared to issue the citation and impound the moto, "explained" the fine and let me go after about half an hour...
    2 SPOT, Sledred and AZ TOM like this.
  10. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:

You really need to educate yourself, you and others like you are making everything more difficult for the rest of us.
    BIG-E and SteveAZ like this.
  11. bajasam

bajasam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wholly cow, I didnt say I was going to play in a closed forest, I just stated the fact that you can't actually close a 2 1/2 million acre forest when its interspersed with private lands and towns. All you can do is lock up the campgrounds as they have an actual gate w/padlock, and ask the public to stay away. The entire Forest Svc has a virtual skeleton crew due to budget cuts the last 20 years, so there's really no one left to do patrolling.
  12. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No attack on you Sam, just some comments from some of us who live in the Forest. I am not sure on the cut backs which have occurred within the Forest Service, although I can tell you I see more Fire suppression and LEO’s every time I’m going in and out of the woods. Could be that I’m getting older and not riding enough single track. There are gates at the entrance’s to most large (3 or 4 numbered) FS roads. These do get locked, smaller spur roads and some two track get blocked with cones, tape and signs. Some don’t, your right It’s a big forest. The Forest Service a few years ago came out with TMR (Travel Management Restrictions). I don’t agree with them, but I try to abide by them.
    BIG-E and Sledred like this.
  13. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So there's a route between Apache Lake and Roosevelt Lake that's not Apache Trail. There's a route on Forest Roads (unmaintained tracks really) 49 and 1080 that goes from Burnt Corral to the back of a Trailer Park by Roosevelt Lake. https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33222376

I've heard from some folks that have taken Rzrs and Trucks on it that it's rocky and has one very steep hill climb. You get a view of both Roosevelt and Apache from the top apparently

Anyone have a perspective from riding it on a dual sport? Any pictures or videos?

How would you rate riding it?
  14. Slowred

Slowred Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Drew kept saying we needed to add some more loops but Paul and I said No, 205 miles was plenty. Drew would have cruised in two hrs sooner if he wasn't waiting for me! LOL
    BIG-E and 2 SPOT like this.
  15. shrunken

shrunken Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We did that route March of 2019 from the trailer park to Apache Trail on our big bikes, it's a fun powerline road that's made up of a lot of thick rubble. Here's some pics and videos, mostly of that one steep hill. Coming down the other side was just as steep but a little less rocky from what I remember (but my memory is shit).
    2019-03-11 13.25.24-2.jpg 2019-03-11 12.25.27.jpg
    Videos:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdgmpgit12vmd0s/2019-03-11 12.24.06.mov?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2fduptioy4q5mb/2019-03-11 12.30.33.mov?dl=0
    Buster452 likes this.
  16. SteveAZ

SteveAZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgive my randomness but this is how this east valley guy spent his day nearby

21h09m39s101sm.png
    scottcolbath and BIG-E like this.
  17. Buster452

Buster452 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Perfect! Those movies are great.

Not really big bike friendly, but definitely big bike doable. Not too bad.

18. Netaron

Netaron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_4821.JPG

:dirtdog
    BIG-E likes this.
  19. EZ300

EZ300 Just wanna ride my motorsickle

Oddometer:
  20. Netaron

Netaron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All OHV access points, including 4pekas are closed until the 31st I believe, unless monsoon season takes care of it.