East-west Trip Across Northern Can.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by jteal123, Jul 16, 2006.

1. jteal123

jteal123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking To Piece Roads Together To Make A Trip Across Northern Canada. Gonna Start New York Or So And End Up In Ak Via Yellowknife. Anyone Know Anything About Trails/ Logging Roads/ Etc In Yellow Knife Area? Coming Up Empty On Routs That Far North. Thanks
  2. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Your going to have trouble finding routes in the far north. The few roads that exist in the tundra tend to be ice roads. You may have some luck going through Northern Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, Alberta and BC. The western part of the NWT and the Yukon have some decent roads.

The best place for info, that I can think of, on the areas you are interested in are proly the provincial geological surveys. (Ontario and BC have some good web sites) I haven't seen the NWT chamber of mines info for a while. Check them out also.

Gas stations will be few and far between. Maybe someone with GPS mapping of Canada can help you out.

I hope your planning your departure right away. It will be getting cold at night by September. And enjoy the sun.
  3. Statdawg

Statdawg Do U feel lucky ?

Oddometer:
    I had a friend subjested about going across Northern Quebec. Apparently there are roads for Power Plant maintainance. NOT public but one might be able to inquire. I hope to look into a future trip from Newfoundland and across much the same area's. I know some are in dangerious areas and little to no service's. That means adventure travel to me.:clap
  4. Bern

Bern Is it hot in here?

Oddometer:
    Sorry to say but you won't make it to Ak via Yellowknife. You have to try and hit Whitehorse, most likely via Edmonton, Alberta
  5. Cheap Ryder

Cheap Ryder Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer:
    yellow knife to fort simpson then accross the liard highway then watson lake and the campbell loop. Or try to ship out of hay river and down the mckenzie river to Inuvik and back down the dempster. Great country, lots of bugs.
  6. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Your best souce for that kind of stuff, at least for areas that far north is a mapping software like Garmins Mapsource Topo Canada. You can actually access it on their website to see detail. It shows alot of stuff you won't find on regular maps, although most roads up north were put in by either mining or logging companies, which usually means "dead end". A very useful tool for planning a trip though. Good Luck.