EASTBOUND, MotoWinch motorcycle recovery hoist

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by noel64, Aug 8, 2019.

1. noel64

noel64 Ultra light & compact moto tools

Oddometer:
    New site and reduced prices. All info you need on the only multifunctional, lightest, most compact aluminium 7075 T6 motorcycle recovery hoist on the market, you can find HERE.
    Demo videos HERE
    CaptureHome4-min.jpg Motowinch service jack 2-min2.jpg motowinch 3a klein.jpg
  2. Izzy58

Izzy58 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where can one be purchased in the United States?
  3. noel64

noel64 Ultra light & compact moto tools

Oddometer:
    Hey Izzy, as for now only on-line available, DHL shipped from the Netherlands.

Thanks,
    Noel/Eastbound
  4. Dannno

Dannno 200 Miles before breakfast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any discount codes for Advrider members?
  5. Cabrito

Cabrito On the mend 76% Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thumbs up for these guys. I ordered on a Saturday and received in in San Francisco on Wed... Super fast DHL shipping.
  6. ballisticexchris

ballisticexchris Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thumbs up here as well!!! The Moto winch is the hot setup!! I really like the tire tools. To anyone thinking about this just do it!! Mine stays on my bike at all times. I paid full price before the reduced one and have no regrets at all. The quality is second to none and well worth the money.
  7. Dannno

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendations. Is it the lightest available as they claim? (I need the bigger ratchet for my GSA.) how long is it all packed up?

Dan
  8. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    Hi there Dan, I don't have anything to compare it too but it is very light. The quality of these tools is amazing. Everything fits tight and is compact. I have already used the wheel wedge for changing out suspension linkage on my bike. It's a very slick tool that will save your back when doing wheel removal/replacement.

I made a YouTube video of the products and here are also some pictures. Sorry about the long video. I'm not much on making these things. There are a few funny parts that even made me laugh! All comments good or bad are welcome.

I really like the products. I ended up getting the heavier ratchet for my Super Tenere. I can imagine this product being used in many ways to get the bike out a tough spot. I also have a pulley, rope, and carabiners as well.

The tire tools are super compact and everything is simple to assemble.

For more professional videos and info here is their website:
    https://www.eastbound.org/
    P5150009.JPG fullsizeoutput_1ba.jpeg P5150012.JPG P5150017.JPG P5150019.JPG P5150020.JPG P5150021.JPG
  9. Dannno

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chris, I appreciate the info and the video. I’ll admit, I about lost it when the bike fell. Funny stuff.

Dan
    ballisticexchris likes this.
  10. Dannno

Oddometer:
    Here’s my review of the Motowinch.

SHIPPING SPEED:
    I ordered it on Friday November 1st, 2019
    It arrived in California on Tuesday November 6th, 2019
    I did pay the extra $6 bucks for DHL Express instead of DHL standard, but still...that is impressive! DHL is your only option if you’re asking them to ship to the US.

COST:
    I paid $276.70 shipped.
    (Tip, don’t use PayPal, they charged me $6. to convert the Euro to US dollar. Pay with Visa to save a few bucks.)
    This price included the Moto Winch with the larger ratchet, DHL Express shipping, the stupid PayPal euro conversion fee and I got the foot spreader/delrin plate.

FIT & FINISH:
    In short, top notch. It’s nicely made. All aluminum with tight tolerances and the pieces nest inside one another. It comes with a heavy canvas case, likely not waterproof, but has good sturdy Velcro strap closures. Also, the top of the bag itself has a Velcro closure sewn into the opening, so it’s a nice bag. Everything fits inside easily, not hard to repack at all. The whole thing with the bag weighs 5lbs exactly. It’s easy to assemble, no instructions needed. Very straightforward.

PERFORMANCE:
    I just lifted my fully loaded 2015 GSA with Jesse hard bags, and a Jesse top box each full of crap. I’ve weighed my bike on a truck scale, it’s 740 lbs. loaded. I did this in my garage, on a concrete floor. The bike was fully down, resting on the engine guards. The lift was fairly easy, the Motowinch crank handle is large and easy to use. It requires just a little muscle to move the ratchet handle. Operation was smooth and not clunky or awkward.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    I’m happy with the purchase. I will use it. I consider myself to be a strong young man, but the GSA is heavy. I’m usually good for two or three lifts on the trail before I’m tired and it gets to be no fun. With this thing, I’ll lift it with ease and not feel wiped out. Assembly and break down will take about 30 seconds each way, so I’m not going to feel like I don’t want to set that thing up. It’s quick and easy. The strap is great. I really like the fact it doesn’t have a hook. Just a simple loop to wrap around your frame, or handlebars or whatever. The loop is just easier IMO. I’ve done a lot of research, the Motowinch is in fact the smallest and lightest hoist out there. All the others are made of steel. So they’re heavier. Weight and pack size was a huge selling point for me. I wish it was made in the USA. But for the light weight, I had to do it.

If I have any complaints, the Motowinch does tend to fall apart when you lift it or move it around (as seen in Chris’s video) I wish it had a more secure way to lock the pieces together.

Lastly, do I feel like a wuss using it? Sort of. But I ride alone often, and find myself on a trail that starts to get a bit technical. I usually start stressing a bit thinking if I drop my bike, I’m alone and picking it up is gonna suck. With the Motowinch however, I won’t stress. I will bring this with me when I’m alone. If riding with friends, it will stay at home to save weight.

Thanks to everyone in the thread for the advice!
    Dan
    ballisticexchris and Moto-Kafe like this.
  11. Moto-Kafe

Moto-Kafe Gnarly Entre-manure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report, Dan...........appreciate that!!!
    Dannno likes this.
  12. ballisticexchris

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed review on a big bike Dan. I feel confidence having this on my Super Tenere. I have made room for it and it stays on my bike at all times. It's damn near impossible to lift one of these beasts in the dirt on a something like a slippery off camber trail or if it's stuck in a rut.
    Dannno likes this.
  13. dcGrizz

dcGrizz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks enticing! You know of any coupons coming up?
  14. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just placed my order for the LC2500, didn't find this thread until after though so I guess I just paid PayPal $6 conversion fee.
    I found out the hard way that one of the other lifts is not much good picking up a loaded 1250 GSA from the dirt.
  15. Dannno

Oddometer:
    Dang it! Shame on Pay Pal. But they’re owned by fleabay, so they like to take our money.

Please share the story of the other lift if you can. I’d like to read it.

Dan
  16. Rdy2Trvl

Rdy2Trvl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :-) Quality made product. My next purchase for sure.
  17. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My Motowinch arrived today, slow boat shipping because I'm cheap some days. Still only 17 days from my order to arriveing at my door from the Netherlands, not too bad. I wasn't going anywhere so no problem waiting.

Looking at it it is a really nice product, just feels good in my hands. Tomorrow I will lay my 1250 GSA down in my drive and see how it works.

I may share my story of picking up my bike with my other lift soon. It turned out okay at the end of the day but it wasn't pretty while it was going on.
    Dannno likes this.
  18. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ordered the LC2500 flavor on Sunday @ 1915. DHL rang my doorbell @ 1315 today. Quick shipper. Very well made unit. The ratchet is reversible. Factory default is the up stroke produces the lift. Anyone see any issues with inverting the ratchet so that the more powerful downstroke produces the lift?
  19. Dannno

Oddometer:
    I didn’t even noticed the ratchet was reversible. My guess is it would not make a difference. Go for it.

The only drawback I can see is increasing the possibility of pinching your fingers in the ratchet mechanism. If you were to be pushing the mechanism downward with force instead of lifting upward, it’s possible to trap your fingertips between the buckle maybe.

Dan
  20. vhortykho

vhortykho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try it. Flip the ratchet. The stroke is always opening the ratchet so pinching should never happen. In addition, pushing down allows you to put your weight behind it and doesn't try to unload the base on a slippery service. In fact, it helps seat it.