Eastern Dirt 14 - Russia, Mongolia, Ural, Altai, Winter Road 110.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by The Rolling Hobo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    :ear Wonderful transition. Thanks!
  2. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your mention of a tap developing in the top end sent my heart racing. That is a red flag that a rocker arm pin has backed out, a very dangerous situation motorwise and a "know issue" on 690s. If it has backed out only one side of the rocker is holding the roller bearing and it can come apart at any time causing engine stoppage and possible engine failure. I had this happen to me at the end of my summer trip but caught it in time.
    JJ
  3. The Rolling Hobo

The Rolling Hobo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're on the right track. I've since made a note of checking the valve clearances more often ;)
    just jeff likes this.
  4. The Rolling Hobo

Oddometer:
    DAY 48 / THE TRAIL ENDS

15.8.2014 / Parnu - Tallinn / 249 km / 18 152 km total.

After a full day and a half of rest I was happy to get back on the road again. There was plenty of time so I decided to stick to the coastline, instead of taking the direct route to Tallinn. Riding through the countryside was just like a Sunday ride. Cruising around on small tarmac roads and rural dirt tracks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mind was detached of everything what had happened in the previous weeks, and of the significance of the day. In fact I felt almost detached from everything. Reality only hit me when the dirt track I was on connected with a tarmac road. It was the end of the trail on Eastern Dirt 14. The last bit of dirt was finished and the only thing left was the ride home.

[​IMG]

The last section to Tallinn was uneventful and I soon pulled up to the hotel we had booked for the weekend. I was happy to find out the hotel had safe parking for the bike as it would have to sit there for three nights.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. The Rolling Hobo

Oddometer:
    DAY 49-50 / DAY OFF IN TALLINN

16.-17.8.2014 / Tallinn / 0 km / 18 152 km total.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    luloadventure likes this.
  6. The Rolling Hobo

Oddometer:
    DAY 51 / I WILL MISS YOU

18.8.2014 / Tallinn - Helsinki / 3 km / 18 155 km total.

After a wonderful weekend in Tallinn, my wife rushed off to work with the first ferry to Helsinki. I had booked a later ferry as I needed some more time to pack up the bike and deal with the vehicle check-in in the ferry terminal. Everything went very smoothly and I was soon sitting in my dirty riding gear among people going to or returning from holidays. I wondered what stories they had to tell from their escapades.

[​IMG]

As the ferry docked in Helsinki I started my bike for the last time during the Eastern Dirt 14 adventure. As the gates opened I rode out and rolled out of the harbour without incident. My garage was only two kilometres away, and I soon found myself opening a familiar gate into the courtyard. As I rode up to my garage door, I remembered how heavy and cumbersome the bike had felt on the rainy morning that I had left over seven weeks earlier. I hit the kill switch, turned off the ignition and kicked out the side stand. My helmet found itself on the Garmin Montana, as usual and I stepped off the bike. Everything happened as a fluid motion, without thinking. It had become second nature.

I opened up the garage doors and pushed the bike inside. Everything was exactly as I had left it. It felt very strange to see the gear, that I had discarded at the last minute, now lying on my work desk under a coat of dust. I changed from the riding gear into civilian gear and sat on my work stool. I was not yet ready to leave, and just sat there in the garage, staring at my bike. It had been a faithful and dependable travel companion all summer. We had shared incredible experiences, overcome obstacles and seen both good days and bad. I would no longer be bound to it daily, and our paths would diverge for now. The ending of the ride filled me with at least as much dread as the start of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! Thank you very much for taking me along.
  8. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report Hobo! It is a very different feeling arriving in familiar surroundings after weeks of traveling and seeing nothing but strange sights. The bittersweet feeling of being home is very difficult to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it.
    JJ
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the awesome trip!
  10. The Rolling Hobo

Oddometer:
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. It was great to relive this adventure with you all. Wishing you all epic adventures and looking forward to reading about them on ADVR ;)

P.S. The Crimson Trail 15 ride report will start soon.
    10ecjed, mbogage and joenuclear like this.
  11. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will you post a link here?
    Thanks
  12. The Rolling Hobo

Oddometer:
    Yes, of course :deal
  13. cappt

cappt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Hobo, what a finish to a super RR!
  14. FPedro

FPedro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First of all congratulations on the awesome ride. You must be made of tough stuff you can handle all those hours on a stock KTM seat!
    Great RR, had a lot of fun following you guys along. Looking forward for the next adventure!
    Cheers.
  15. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for taking us virtual with you on the trip - and writing such a detail and fascinating report.

I will miss your report till we hear from east dirt 16 - or something similar....

Epic report.
  16. just jeff

just jeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Hobo!
    Just for clarification did you find the roller pin backed out when you checked the valve clearance? The rocker that failed on my '08 was new in the spring and only had 5000km on it when it failed at the end of my summer trip.
    Looking forward to your new ride report:clap
    Best Regards....just jeff
  17. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Fantastic & outstanding read ~ nuff said' and looking forward to more RR to come in the future, ride & travel safe!
  18. The Rolling Hobo

Oddometer:
    Damn, 5000 km is very low for a rocker arm failure. In my '13 there was play in the exhaust side bearing, resulting in the valve clearance being way off. At that point it had 30 000 km on it. I replaced both rockers and the valve clearances were back in spec and the engine sounded normal again.

The Crimson Trail 15 will be starting shortly ;)
    10ecjed and joenuclear like this.
  19. SNOMED

SNOMED Adv'rized

Oddometer:
    Just finished reading your great RR...
    Thank you for sharing your adventure!!!
    Looking forward for the next installment. :-)
    Hälsningar
    snomed
  20. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    One of the best reports I have read in a long time!!!!! Awesome pictures too.