Eastern Oregon Desert Tracks....PLEASE

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by OUTLAND MOTO, Feb 24, 2008.

1. OUTLAND MOTO

OUTLAND MOTO And then suddenly....

Oddometer:
    I trying to get across the Eastern Oregon desert region from Crater Lake. Is there anyone who has a set of tracks that might allow for this? Or, are there any map products that might help me make the route myself? Trying to stay off of pavement as much as possible. ANY help with this is GREATLY appreciated.
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    There was a ride report / GPS tracks of that area but I don't remember any key words. That is a problem with this web site, there is no indenture folder system so you can just find things by area.
  3. Heymarz

Heymarz Gaily Retarded

Oddometer:
  4. boney

boney Ride > Post Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the Benchmark Atlas for Oregon Also. There's a lot of stuff to ride out there. In the past I've also made reference with Garmin Mapsource (I have Navigator 7 I think) and when all else fails, load up Google Earth and take a peek to see if you can see some sort of road looking scar where you're headed.

I rode an unscouted route across Nevada and Utah using the above technique. It worked well and there were only a few hitches. If you can load the "intersections" into a GPS, it'll help take the time off all the navigation chores once you're out there.
  5. boxertwin

boxertwin Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Look up Leisureclub. I know he can get you at least as far as Burns. Maybe further!:beer

Lots of private property out there so be aware...
  7. OUTLAND MOTO

Oddometer:
    Thanks All. I will try the benchmark atlas. I am using Mapsource also, but it is difficult, being somwhat unfamiliar with that region, to know if the roads I am choosing are good. Thanks, again, everybody!!! I will let everyone know how it is going.
  8. OUTLAND MOTO

Oddometer:
    I went out and purchased the Benchmark Maps you suggested. They did the trick!! I got a good route through both Oregon and Idaho. Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions! Saved me a lot of time and frustration!

Gonna be passing through in mid-June. If anyone might want to jump on the route with us for a while, just let me know! I attached one .gpx file. I will put the other one in the next reply (since I can only attach one per message). Opinions are welcome!

Attached Files:

9. OUTLAND MOTO

Oddometer:
    And the next one. This goes through Idaho.

Attached Files:

10. OUTLAND MOTO

Oddometer:
    And this one through Montana to Badland, SD.

Attached Files:

11. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    I think you're on the right track, at least thru Eastern Or.

You're gonna be so close it would definitely be worth your while to buzz down and do the Steen's Loop. Although, mid June it still may be closed due to snow. Highest drivable road in Oregon.

Check out this report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244975
  12. boney

Oddometer:
    That looks like it's going to be quite the adventure.:evil
  13. OUTLAND MOTO

Oddometer:
    It should be. It is 8400 miles, starting from Pittsburgh, PA. The states include
    PA, OH, WV, KY, TN, AR, OK, MS, KS, CO, UT, AR, NV, CA, OR, ID, MT, SD, MN, WI, NE, WI. We start May 20th.
  14. tlgreen

tlgreen Dirty adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I can't turn this thing around...
    If you are going through the Christmas valley area & the main dunes there, be really careful. It is easy to get lost. PM Coho as he has the gpx files from that whole area. We got lost a ton but Thanks to Wachs got out alive after about 8 hours....:shog
  15. NWetRider

NWetRider Lubrication is the Key

Oddometer:
    I am looking for the same type of info and Humunn is not sharing any more due to his business concerns. Does anyone else out there have anything newer then Countdown's 06 data for OBDR, or other tracks in Eastern Ore?

Thanks in advance!
  16. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

That's why the Lost Forest is there. :deal
  17. boney

Oddometer:
    Here is all you need to know:

Go have an adventure.:deal
  18. OUTLAND MOTO

Oddometer:
    boney is right. I took the advice of Heymarz and it got me farther than I had been. Those maps are great and tell you everything you will need to know! And hey guys, thanks again!!!!:devildog
  19. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everything? Hmmm. I don't see gas stations noted on my version, but maybe yours is newer than mine. :lol3 You have a long stretch planned from Christmas Valley to Jorday Valley and I don't know of any gas stations along the way on that route. Chase truck?

Good luck on your adventure.
  20. boney

Oddometer:
    That when you google town names and "gas station." Then call ahead to see if it's still open and the hours.:deal

I haven't looked at the route recently, and I don't know where Jordy Valley is, but:

A quick (I spent 5 minutes looking up this info) search reveals that there's gas in Brothers, Hampton, Wagontire, Summer Lake, Alkali Lake, and French Glen. I'm sure there's more.... A wise traveller will call ahead to make sure they're still there/open.